Really tall Givi?

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Really tall Givi?

Post by fish »

I know people don't put a screen on to improve the looks of their scooters or bikes....so, this doesn't look much worse than most of them. But it is helped by the cool Mugen rim tapes. Or not.
Fish
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Really tall Givi?

Post by Monty1952 »

With a tail wind it could be windsurfing ......and a side wind parasailing!
2014 Forza - Silver 2,300km
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I wouldn't want to go too fast with it. o_O Wind wobble?
jblye
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Post by jblye »

I don't think that the design should have any adverse handling related to wind direction.
A side wind wouldn't have much effect, as the side profile of the screen wouldn't have much
area for the side wind to push. A tail wind would simply increase the speed of the scooter, as it
would act like a sail. I ride a recumbent bicycle which has a similar screen (doesn't go
as far rearward as the one on this scooter). Side winds have no noticeable effect on
handling, and a tail wind definitely increases the bicycle's speed.

This scooter's fairing design might be more aero, as the airflow would not hit the rider directly on the
head and upper body, and airflow should exit more cleanly at the rear of the scooter.

At any rate, it would be a fun thing to try riding it. With a bit more engineering, it could be
made to look like an integrated part of the scooter's design....rather than having an
add-on look; nevertheless, it is certainly out of the box thinking.
Johnny
blackcat54
Regular User
Regular User

Post by blackcat54 »

I'm thinking.....Golf Cart!

Not for me.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Where in the world did this picture come from?? This looks like something you might see in Thailand, but certainly not in the United States!.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
jblye
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Post by jblye »

It looks like something that could have been "engineered" in Thailand. I lived 6 months in Thailand, and I remember
seeing a lot of "re-engineered" scooters, etc. in Bangkok.....also 4 or 5 adults plus a baby plus a couple of chickens,
etc. on scooters. The Thais have a knack for getting the highest utility out of their vehicles !

I doubt that I'd ever want to own something like the one in this post, but I have to give the re-designer a lot of
credit. The re-make looks like a solid design. I was trying to figure out how the fairing could have enough rigidity
in such a long piece. It appears that a "plate" is mounted on the top and maybe attached to the rear support bars.

Yeah, it does look sort of look like a 2 wheel golf cart !! On the other hand, some people probably told the Wright
brothers that their "dang flyin' machine" would never work. If you have ever seen their flying machine at Kitty Hawk,
you probably would also wonder how they ever got up the nerve to try that strange looking thing. But they did.
Maybe this re-engineered scoot is sort of like that (I'm being a little bit tongue-in-cheek here, folks ! ).

It would be funny if we start seeing such contraptions all over the place in the U.S. Probably not.....
In fact, if the price of gas keeps dropping, we might see fewer scooters of all kinds, with mostly 50cc "DUI cycles"
(some call them "liquor cycles" ) left on the road. Regular gas in our area of South Carolina is now below 2 bucks per
gallon at some stations. Even those 50cc ones might fade away, as some states are pushing to require them to meet
regular motorcyle licensing / registration / etc.

BTW: Many of those "liquor cycles" are surprisingly fast. I saw one of them (up close) recently which had a severely
modified motor, exhaust, etc. When he cranked it up, it didn't even sound like a moped. I followed him for a mile or
so, and he was running 45 to 50 mph on a level road !! And it had a MOPED tag........

I can honestly say that I wish I had gotten into the scooter world a long time ago. I enjoy riding my 2015 PCX150
scooter more than any of the sport motorcycles that I owned over the past 58 years. Sounds like heresy, but it's true !

Johnny
BRed
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2023 XMax 300
Color: Grey and black

Post by BRed »

The idea is rider protection since the open sides and rear negate any aerodynamic gains...
ride it in the rain at very moderate speeds and get less wet??
Maybe....if you have good rain gear.

The idea isn't new and at least one old version was pretty aerodynamic.....the Quasar!

Designed by a Brit and a Scot in the 70s, there were a limited number of assembled bikes produced (like <25, I think?) and many more body kits sold to DiYers.....
I like how the Quasar looks and those who own them say they handle great (what else would a fanboy say, right?)
anyway, I thought about trying something similar with a Big Ruckus.

more Quasar pics here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=quasar+ ... CAcQ_AUoAg
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

For me it gets to a point where it defeats the purpose (my purpose anyway) of two wheels which is to feel free and get fully into the open. For 4 - 5 months of the year my primary mode of transport is a car and it gets to the point where I just want to burst out and be free when the snow and big freeze goes away. For some it may be in an all year riding climate where it's their only mode of transport and some protection is desired.
So everyone to their own but my dream hopefully this year is route 66 and unobstructed views like this on the way!

:)
Attachments
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (9.11 KiB) Viewed 1821 times
2014 Forza - Silver 2,300km
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
blackcat54
Regular User
Regular User

Post by blackcat54 »

So Monty,

You're planning this epic Route 66 journey on your Forza?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

BRed wrote:The idea is rider protection since the open sides and rear negate any aerodynamic gains...
ride it in the rain at very moderate speeds and get less wet??
Maybe....if you have good rain gear.

The idea isn't new and at least one old version was pretty aerodynamic.....the Quasar!

Designed by a Brit and a Scot in the 70s, there were a limited number of assembled bikes produced (like <25, I think?) and many more body kits sold to DiYers.....
I like how the Quasar looks and those who own them say they handle great (what else would a fanboy say, right?)
anyway, I thought about trying something similar with a Big Ruckus.

more Quasar pics here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=quasar+ ... CAcQ_AUoAg
Quasar and the bond bug where the coolest vehicles of my childhood. And fibrefab dune buggies and Jensen interceptors....the Saints Volvo..etc etc