Front brake maintenance

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Front brake maintenance

Post by Scottish »

I've just come back after 3 weeks away with the bike parked out in the rain...the front wheel needed a push to get it going, it had basically seized up with some rust on the front disc.

Any cleaning/maintenance tips? I thought about using some wd-40 but that might not be the best thing to use on brakes!?
djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Re: Front brake maintenance

Post by djcat »

Scottish wrote:I've just come back after 3 weeks away with the bike parked out in the rain...the front wheel needed a push to get it going, it had basically seized up with some rust on the front disc.

Any cleaning/maintenance tips? I thought about using some wd-40 but that might not be the best thing to use on brakes!?
No, WD-40 or any other type of lubricant is not the best thing to put on brake discs...

I just changed my front pads to Lucas ones as they are supposed to give a better and more progressive feel. I used this video as a guide:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1yszz ... stall_auto

I did use the opportunity to put some brake cleaner inside the caliper to get rid of whatever was lodged in there. It takes a little fiddling around until you get the pads to sit right, but don´t do it right and you are in trouble.

Very important: PUMP the brake after re-install or you will have a bad surprise ....

However: It is normal for brakes to seize if they are left to rust / not being used. Gentle braking at slow speed should clean that off. If not, disassemble and clean, its a one hour job if you know 50% of what you are doing.
djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Post by djcat »

Forgot the legal disclaimer: If you don´t know what you are doing, don´t do it. Any fiddling around with your brakes is your problem, you do so at your own risk.

I believe that its one of the easier jobs to do but thats just me.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Scottish wrote:I've just come back after 3 weeks away with the bike parked out in the rain...the front wheel needed a push to get it going, it had basically seized up with some rust on the front disc.

Charles Darwins tip would be grease on the disc as a preventative measure
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

So it was worse than I thought, partially seized and not something I could have fixed myself, £35 for the guy that did though.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

If you take the brakes apart and grease the cylinder, make sure you use a grease that will not degrade the rubber seals!
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

Use a scotch bright pad! It will clean off the rust without any damage to the rotor. You can use some brake cleaner to clean off any dust left over. The pads themselves will finish the job. DO NOT use any kind of lube on the brakes!
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Scottish wrote:So it was worse than I thought, partially seized and not something I could have fixed myself, £35 for the guy that did though.
Not a bad price for something so important.
And we learned something, yes?
Well, I did.
Thanks for your post.
Fish
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Scottish wrote:So it was worse than I thought, partially seized and not something I could have fixed myself, £35 for the guy that did though.
£1 to fix the problem and £34 to know what the problem was and how to fix it. ;)
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

kramnala58 wrote:
£1 to fix the problem and £34 to know what the problem was and how to fix it. ;)
Reminds me of this story -
One appeared on the letters page of Life magazine in 1965, after the magazine had printed a story on Steinmetz. Jack B. Scott wrote in to tell of his father’s encounter with the Wizard of Schenectady at Henry Ford’s River Rouge plant in Dearborn, Michigan.

Ford, whose electrical engineers couldn’t solve some problems they were having with a gigantic generator, called Steinmetz in to the plant. Upon arriving, Steinmetz rejected all assistance and asked only for a notebook, pencil and cot. According to Scott, Steinmetz listened to the generator and scribbled computations on the notepad for two straight days and nights. On the second night, he asked for a ladder, climbed up the generator and made a chalk mark on its side. Then he told Ford’s skeptical engineers to remove a plate at the mark and replace sixteen windings from the field coil. They did, and the generator performed to perfection.

Henry Ford was thrilled until he got an invoice from General Electric in the amount of $10,000. Ford acknowledged Steinmetz’s success but balked at the figure. He asked for an itemized bill.

Steinmetz, Scott wrote, responded personally to Ford’s request with the following:

Making chalk mark on generator $1.

Knowing where to make mark $9,999.

Ford paid the bill.
Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/c ... FjtQ8AR.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White