How cold will you ride?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: How cold will you ride?

Post by iceman »

Really expected to lose 3 months or so commuting on the trusty PCX when winter came, but so far with sub zero temps and heavy rain, still using it. Although I do not have bar mitts and my fingers get a little frozen at the end of my early morning ride to work (2am ish!). Been looking at bar mitts and the discussion on this forum, and one pair seems more suited due to the placement of the mirrors on the handle-bars which may stop some makes from fitting, but as I've managed so far I'm not sure it's worth it. The only part of me that gets cold when it's sub zero is my fingers. Not using the armoured normal gloves for winter, but fleeced gore-tex mitts or ski gloves with water-proof covering, but the wind chill gets through when doing 30mph+ (town driving).
Now considering some kind of plastic wrap-around hand protectors that permanently mount to the bar - good enough to stop most of the wind chill and rain hitting your hands, but leaving your hands free - anyone know anything like this that fits the PCX bar layout, that covers the brake/grip area?
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

So far the Barkbusters look like a way to go. Just a little expensive. Other people use heated gloves or grips. I've been putting hand heating pads in my mittens. My Husband was interested in the hand guards because he won't use mittens like me.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Thanks Steph. I just viewed a Barkbusters video on youtube before coming back here - they seem ideal as they are semi flexible and offer a good amount of protection.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La62AZx2MHo
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

@iceman - Those are different. I kinda like them. I do wonder of they will flop around at speed.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Grip muffs can be very nice in frigid weather. Those are a bit expensive compared to what is common in Europe (especially now that the euro is expected to fall all the way to 1:1 with the USA dollar). But they do look to be about the nicest, high end design. I have used some cheaper ones on my CBR250R and at 70 mph they tended to put the brake light on if they weren't adjusted perfectly but these Barkbusters seem very nice.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/blizzard ... arkbusters
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

Found this comment on the twisted throttle page for the above.. Might be helpful.

Solid design!
I bought this for fall riding in Vancouver, where it rains a lot during the fall. They were fairly easy to install on my Honda PCX150 scooter. The only trick is to cut a nice hole for the mirror stem to go through, but I accomplished that with a 1/4" hole punch & the carefully bonding the cut threads with my barbecue lighter. Worked out very well & looks great.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Steph wrote:Found this comment on the twisted throttle page for the above.. Might be helpful.

Solid design!
I bought this for fall riding in Vancouver, where it rains a lot during the fall. They were fairly easy to install on my Honda PCX150 scooter. The only trick is to cut a nice hole for the mirror stem to go through, but I accomplished that with a 1/4" hole punch & the carefully bonding the cut threads with my barbecue lighter. Worked out very well & looks great.
Good reviews but the above bothers me - I don't like modifying things and having them untidy, especially where their own website says these fit the PCX 125i without issue (part of the compatibility chart). For the same price you can get thier plastic ones that mount on the bar ends or main bar, or for say $50 more get the true carbon ones. Expensive compared to the usual £30 bar mount ones, but they do seem to be quality items.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

57 degrees at 21:00 in mid Ohio on Jan 3.
Crazy warm...but dark and raining. So tempted to climb on the Forza as very cold temperatures and flurries coming. But it is dark and raining on a Sat night....not a good/safe combination in ohio
Safety wins...though I will likely regret not riding.
Well I'd have to add spend an hour cleaning my scoot tomorrow after a long rain ride.
Fish
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

I never clean. Maybe wipe off the headlight once in a while. This is the nicest thing about a belt versus a chain. Salt, shmalt.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Yep warm and raining here too. Good day for the annual motorcycle show. It has been too wet to move the PCX into the walk-out basement. High tomorrow 33 Monday 29 Wednesday 11. o_O
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

57 F. in Ohio yesterday! Wow! To bad about the rain. Was raining and sleeting here yesterday and rain today at 38 F. High for Monday will be 15 F. and down to 10 F. on Thursday. o_O :o
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Well I was able to finally move the PCX to the basement to work on because the surface of the ground froze in the back yard this morning. :cry: It went from 47 F yesterday evening to 20 F in snow and it is dropping....... :o The Christmas lights were frozen to the bushes as I pulled them down.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

all I want to hear is... people getting busted for riding squid again
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

Managed to get a pair of Richa Arctic's over christmas, RIDE magazine's best buy winter glove, so cold hands shouldnt be a problem anymore!

The only conditions I wont ride in are icy or too windy, other than that I'm good to go!
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Set new personal best on ride to work in the dark this morning. Feels like minus 8! Fehrenheit.
Fish
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

It's 6 degrees F. by me now. It was cold riding in my van home from work today. No way on a scoot. o_O

Note to Homie: your video wont play. :(
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Minus 9 degrees Fahrenheit, actual, at sunrise tomorrow. Not a game changer for my EFI'd Kymco.....but the 5" of snow on the ground is. C r a p.
Fish and
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Please close the door up there in Canada! :-)
Fish
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Very nice gloves. I have a decent pair of polar gloves (gortex goatskin) and they do seem to work. Mine have zips for heat packs but I just have not needed them. I looked at some Dainese Scout EVO Gore-Tex Gloves which I also liked but they were over my self budget of $150 US.
Scottish wrote:Managed to get a pair of Richa Arctic's over christmas, RIDE magazine's best buy winter glove, so cold hands shouldnt be a problem anymore!

The only conditions I wont ride in are icy or too windy, other than that I'm good to go!