Comparison of the 2013 PCX 150 and 2014 Forza 300 – US Ver

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Comparison of the 2013 PCX 150 and 2014 Forza 300 – US Ver

Post by SECoda »

Background
Although I have owned six different motorcycles across the last 35 years and two mini-bikes - I thought it best to compare these two since I own them concurrently and they are fresh and new. Based on my average speeds I have about 65 hours on the PCX and not quite 20 hours on the Forza. I have operated both of them throughout the range of my normal driving conditions many times and that is primarily rural winding hilly roads in the foothills of the Ozark Mountains in southern Missouri.

Speeds generally vary from 10 mph in hair-pin turns up and down hills to interstate driving with a posted 70 mph max limit. The maximum speed limit in Missouri and Illinois (just across the river) is both 70 mph. I drive in very limited traffic most of the time, only in dry weather; tend to ignore most wind under 30 mph, and primarily in daylight. So far temperatures have been limited to 36 F and above. I only drive on dry pavement and virtually never gravel roads or off-road.

I am 57 years old and have about 50,000 miles on motorcycles and scooters as far as I can estimate and remember. I am also a private pilot. I only mention that because I think the higher skill level required more closely is in line with a motorcycle/scooter compared to say an automobile with the additional risks, balance, etc. Your mileage and experiences may vary. Well enough on that.

PCX 150
I acquired the PCX to complement the camping we do during the warm months with an RV. It is easy for one to load and unload a car carrier with the PCX at 286 lbs. It is fine for local exploring but I tend to keep the rides under about 50-60 miles with the longest at 100 miles (too long for one sitting IMO). I also tend to keep the speed under about 60 mph for reasons I will explain later (as I install the NCY components to speed it up – lol).

Forza 300
The Forza was purchased for moderate length scenic touring (under about 300 miles max with most trips fewer than 100 miles) and local riding. This includes the winding hilly roads but also the highways for mainly limited distances to get to the scenic areas. If I want to take the Forza camping, I pretty well need to drive it or trailer it given the weight and size.

Comparison
I only included factors I care about in my review. Others needs may vary. Some may not agree with this analogy but I basically consider the Forza 300 a PCX 150 on steroids. They are related in so many ways with one being just a larger, heavier, and more powerful version of the other. The PCX is a mini-me IMO of the Forza yet the Forza is at most a mid-sized bike given the weight, wheel size, and wheel base that is still small relative to most large bikes.

I am not comparing other sized bikes that may be better in certain conditions and environments than these scooters. There are some things I like better on other bikes. The factors I chose are in no particular order other than to group them by more or less important to me. Because of some of the forum limitations I will put this in a simple text format even though a table is probably more appropriate. Since there are editing restrictions on the forum this is being done in Word 2010 first so I can correct most of the errors.

Critical Factors for me
Hauling: Winner PCX
I rarely have the room for another trailer at most camping spots. I use a 600 lb. steel Rage car carrier that plugs into a class III trailer hitch. The limiting factor is the 525 lb. tongue weight maximum but you don’t want to go near the rated maximums. The PCX is near perfect on the carrier and hauls very well. I loaded the Forza on it once (and never again). The wheelbase is at the maximum for the carrier but the weight makes it a bit unstable. Handling it along to load and unload alone was a bit daunting to say the least.

Top speed: Winner Forza
I think it goes without saying the Forza 300 stock is capable of a considerably higher top speed than the PCX 150 stock. My experience is the PCX hits the rev limiter at about 67-68 mph with a new belt. The Forza so far is about 86 mph and I just got it this high today for this comparison (without the Givi V47 on board).  I believe the top case may slow it down a few mph. Anyway figure about a 20 mph difference between the two give or take a few. Both can be made faster with CVT modifications.

Acceleration: Winner Forza
The Forza is hands down across the board faster accelerating at any speed than the PCX IMO. The acceleration is also much more consistent and reliable on inclines with the Forza despite the weight difference (286 lbs. vs 428 lbs.). Basically, you can feel and hear (lower engine growl on the Forza) the power difference. It should be significant given that the PCX is about 13.5 HP and the Forza is about 26 HP despite the approximately 142 lb. weight difference. My son and I actually raced the two bikes from a stop and from 0 to about 30 and the acceleration difference was even more significant than I expected.

Ride: Winner Forza
For the ride I included the seat, the leg room, wind protection, and the suspension. With the adjustable rear shocks my Forza came set to the softest setting. I consider that fine for one passenger but too soft if you plan on two. Generally, I consider the suspension systems on these scooters as only average compared to some other bikes – especially the larger ones with more sophisticated suspension systems. Stock they are only basic systems and something I may upgrade on the Forza eventually.

The Forza is clearly better on handling road imperfections than the PCX but still not superb like a large heavy cruiser. Humps and small pot holes can be a bit harsh on both bikes and downright teeth jarring on the PCX. Both bikes could benefit with third party shocks IMO. Let me also add that for various factors the Forza handle passengers better than the PCX IMO. Adjustable shocks, weight, seat size, and power all come into play.

The 2013 PCX seat with the hump is unacceptable for riders beyond maybe 5’9” IMO. I replaced my seat with an excellent one from MP. MOTOR in Thailand. The Forza seat is firm but very wide. That with a bit more leg room makes it acceptable for my 5’11” height. Either it has softened a bit or I have become used to it because I find myself being more comfortable on longer rides.

I believe both bikes need taller windshields for better wind protection at higher speeds. I realize that is a somewhat more controversial opinion. That said the Forza still provides better wind protection stock with the wider faring’s than the PCX.

Road Handling: Winner Forza
This is a factor where I think the Forza really races ahead of the PCX - even on the slow speeds in tight turns I frequently see in the foothills. The Forza is not just much more competent at the high speeds on the highways with the much longer wheel base and wider tires, but also is very steady on the windy days, and at slow speeds. I don’t really know all of the technical reasons why (trail and rake and such) but the size and weight difference are some of the reasons.

The PCX is just a tiny bit less stable in holding position on the road even in low wind conditions. This makes it a bit spookier at high speeds in windy conditions. I tend to keep speeds under about 60 mph on the PCX because of these behaviors. Above 60 it requires a tad more concentration and becomes a bit more challenging to control. The susceptibility to wind gusts makes it less desirable on highways. The PCX is a bit steadier off of the blocks at a stop with the lower weight IMO than the Forza. If I was primarily an urban city rider that didn’t get on fast highways I would opt for a PCX – especially if lane-splitting was legal.

Neither of my bikes have ABS brakes even though I think they are a good idea. Even though the Forza is heavier the braking on the Forza seems more pronounced using a bit less force on the brake levers than the PCX. The braking is very good on both however and isn’t an issue.

That said the Harley bikers I occasionally ride with do struggle with their much heavier bikes on some of the winding hilly roads I frequent. They really do well on the interstates and highways where even my Forza struggles to keep up at times but they suffer a bit when steep hills and tight turns become the rule carrying all of that weight. I found myself waiting for them to catch up when the turns got really nasty.

Less important factors for me
Mileage: Winner PCX
If commuting is your primary goal to save on gas and you don’t care about some of the other factors and you don’t need extended highway speeds than the PCX will maximum your fuel usage as most know. I am seeing roughly about 70 mpg on the Forza and 100 mpg on the PCX 150 in the same ratios of mixed conditions I ride in described above give or take a few. I calculate a bit more range on the Forza given the smaller size of the 2013 PCX tank but both ranges are considerably longer than I care to ride in one sitting – even with a good reserve. If I lived out west where the gas stations get thin it might become more of an issue forcing me into a bigger bike.

Total Cost of Ownership: Winner PCX
If initial outlay is important to you then the PCX takes the prize. For me the cost differential was about $1900 US dollars. The Forza w/o ABS was about 65% more costly than the PCX purchase. Then there was the sales tax. Since I purchased both of them – this factor was rather insignificant as these are both considered inexpensive bikes and I purchased them strictly for recreational use.

Instrumentation: Winner Forza

The Forza has more complete instrumentation but some of it (like the tachometer) isn’t probably necessary for some folks. Honda corrected this somewhat on the 2015 PCX by adding a clock, 12V power outlet, and fuel economy.

Maintenance Ease of Access and Schedule: Winner Forza
The Forza edges out the PCX for ease of maintenance. Not only is it a bit more accessible because of the large dimensions (oil/filter/strainer change/clean for an example) but the maintenance schedule is longer on time intervals. Having accessed both tail light harnesses for lighting add-ons I again found the Forza the easier to access. In this case I think larger means easier most of the time but neither is very difficult.

On-board Storage: Winner Forza
I hope it is obvious that the Forza has considerably more on-board storage room than the PCX. Even though the Forza can hold two helmets under the seat, those are somewhat limited to small to medium sized helmets I have read in other reviews. I opted for the Givi V47 to accommodate my modular helmet which tends to be a bit larger and heavier than the full face helmets. Auxiliary storage can easily be added to either making it less of an issue. The Forza also has two glove compartments including a lockable one.

Summary
I could go on but I have a NCY variator, face plate, belt, and rollers to change just for fun on my PCX. For my purposes I prefer to own both bikes for the reasons given and because my wife will let me.  If I didn’t haul the PCX for camping or added a heavier duty lift carrier on the RV the Forza would be a no-brainer preference for all of my uses. While the Forza has larger dimensions and a higher weight, it doesn’t interfere with nimble handling and operation at very slow speeds like a much larger bike would IMO. Part of the reason I believe that is so is because of the low CG and the low seat height among other well designed features. I even think it improves pushing the Forza around in the garage which I find very easy and I am no body builder.

While I think the handling on the PCX is generally very good for a smaller scooter the Forza is just better at nearly every factor important to me for the reasons given despite the additional weight. A smaller lighter person might be justified in disagreeing. If I had to sell one bike it would invariably be the PCX at this point. Luckily, things have been good and we can enjoy the benefits of both for now.

This didn’t get a lot of editing or reviews so please ignore some of my bad grammar and confusing statements at times.

My wife says I need to break the habit of buying collections in my hobbies instead of just one at a time. I wonder what my wife would say about a third motorcycle/scooter. Ok guys and gals – feel free to chew on this one. :P
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Re: Comparison of the 2013 PCX 150 and 2014 Forza 300 – US V

Post by Valiant »

I'm rather curious if you ever measured the length/width of both bikes, as I would dearly love to upgrade to the Forza at some point, but I suspect I won't be able to purchase a place with a sizable garage for at least 10 some years, so it might be good to know whether or not I can squeeze that fat beast into my rather slim parking space.
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

Nice review/comparison.

Thanks for you thoughts on these scoots. I am not really looking at the PCX but your insights on the Forza are very much appreciated.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Valiant wrote:I'm rather curious if you ever measured the length/width of both bikes
From the Honda UK website

length x width x height
Forza: 2166 x 753 x 1189mm
PCX: 1930 × 740 × 1100mm

PCX has a much smaller turning circle.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

Excellent comparison! And a good read. If I were to add a bike I would most likely go with the Honda CTX 700N DCT.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Good stuff
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Good point on the turning radius. While it really isn't noticeable riding - it is pushing it around the garage or basement a bit.

There are so many technical things to discuss that I left most of them out or it would have been too long to keep anyone's interest I feared. :o
gn2 wrote:
Valiant wrote:I'm rather curious if you ever measured the length/width of both bikes
From the Honda UK website

length x width x height
Forza: 2166 x 753 x 1189mm
PCX: 1930 × 740 × 1100mm

PCX has a much smaller turning circle.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Thanks for the review 8) If I can find a donor forza I would like to combine the two and have the best of both bikes :D ...or at least a
ultralight forza with some pcx and ruckus parts for good measure. :lol: ;)
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Too funny.

I just got home from the St. Louis 2015 Annual Motorcycle Show. There was a tremendous demonstration there. A guy did all kinds of stuff (jumps, climbs, and used his girlfriend as part of the obstacles. It was really a bit frightening at times in the small area. He did the routines w/o ever touching his feet. He just balanced the bike. He had one bike that only had a rear tire. o_O

I was shocked by the thousands of people there. This sport is alive and well. There was a Forza there among other scooters.
Bigboss242

Post by Bigboss242 »

The forza is a pretty boss bike only problem is that red they should of at least brought over the white and black.
SmellyTofu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SmellyTofu »

With the underseat storage, my understanding is that the Forza can take 2 large helmets (my large helmet is 58-60cm). Everytime I've been at the bike shop to sticky beak at a new bike, they've never had the keys to the Forza so I couldn't test it. Does the large helmet not fit under the seat? It somewhat does on the PCX but that's after I've forced the seat down resulting in the seat bending a bit.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Depends on the helmet whether it fits or not.
My XL HJC IS-17 and my old XL Arashi Daytona both fit no problem.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Which helmet is it? Maybe we can find someone who has tried it. You really need to test it in the bike. The modular's tend to be a big bigger than say a full. On many helmets the shell is the same size regardless of head fit size - only more padding is added. Some have two or three different sized shells like Shoei.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

SmellyTofu wrote:With the underseat storage, my understanding is that the Forza can take 2 large helmets (my large helmet is 58-60cm). Everytime I've been at the bike shop to sticky beak at a new bike, they've never had the keys to the Forza so I couldn't test it. Does the large helmet not fit under the seat? It somewhat does on the PCX but that's after I've forced the seat down resulting in the seat bending a bit.
I can fit my XXXXL (yes 4XL) modular-full face helmet and my son's XL full face helmet under the Forza seat when placed as shown in the manual. Nothing is mashed or bent in doing so - we wouldn't do that to our new helments! Space isn't the beef with me - it's the awkwardly hinged seat that bugs me. That large bottom area is a pain to use unless you're sitting on the floor, and the seat needs a stronger lift piston. It used to only just stay up - but after the fuel pump servicing it no longer stays up by itself.
Have ordered the sawed-off Japanese broom handle Forza accessory from Allibaba.
Fish