Final Drive oil change??

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Final Drive oil change??

Post by flyingzonker »

I went to change my oil this morning in my 2013 PCX 150 and somehow got sidetracked. Instead removing the engine oil drain bolt, I took out the final drive oil drain bolt. While I was loosening the bolt I had a feeling that I was doing something I didn't really want to do and hadn't done before.But, hoping for the best, I soldiered on, got the bolt out and watched to my puzzlement while about half a cup of oil dribbled out. This tipped me off to the fact that I had stepped out onto a ledge that I didn't know how to back off from. Can anyone tell me how to replace the final drive oil? Is there a port where the fresh oil goes? Does replacement require a special tool?
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Re: Final Drive oil change??

Post by kcpcx »

When you look at the final drive case, basically just forward of your rear brake lever arm in the area of the rear wheel:

There are three main bolts apparent on the case. Two of them are close together, and one by itself below those and a little left when you are looking at the case from the left side of the scooter.

The upper bolts that are close together, one is forward and slightly higher than the rearward one.

The more forward of the upper pair is the check/fill bolt. This is where you add oil. The level should be just to the bottom of the hole. If you overfill, it will just run out, so hard to screw it up. You want the bolt closer to the front of the scooter, not the one lower and slightly to the rear. The manual specifies that final drive oil level is checked while scooter is on the center stand.

The bolt way at the bottom by itself, as you've found, is the drain bolt.

The capacity is .12 liters of 10W30 Honda HP4M 4 stroke oil or equivalent.

Torque on those drain and fill bolts is 17 lb-ft or 23Nm. Do not overtighten. Common mistake.
'88 BMW R100RT
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Thanks. That is the where of what I wanted to know. Now, tell me, how do you get the oil into that oil check hole? Seems you would almost need a syringe of some kind.
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

Good question. I haven't done mine yet.

You can usually get a funnel with a long flexible tube and small tip somewhere like WalMart. But you're right, a syringe would probably work better.

Maybe:

http://www.amazon.com/Goldenrod-Pistol- ... B00FX961T2
'88 BMW R100RT
pcxpower
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by pcxpower »

Thank you very much, kcpcx, for your advices, and when I change my final drive oil, I'll be very careful not to overtighten the bolts ;)

flyingzonker,

You can have a look at this "how-to" that Maddiedog posted to help those who intend to do the final drive oil change:
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3224
2015 Honda PCX 125
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Thanks for the link to the tutorial. Now I know what I have to do and what I need to do it. Thanks again to all.
frog13
Regular User
Regular User
Color: white

Post by frog13 »

Check tractor supply , they should sell a metal squirt can that has an adjustable metal neck with a pin point nozzle end for fine lube ability.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

flyingzonker wrote:Thanks. That is the where of what I wanted to know. Now, tell me, how do you get the oil into that oil check hole? Seems you would almost need a syringe of some kind.
A cheap turkey baster from the dollar store will work to squirt the oil in with. Maybe stick a piece of rubber hose that fits in the hole of the rear drive on the end.
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

I have a two stroke hypodermic for adding oil to fuel. It works fine for adding or removing fluids, even has calibrations on the barrel to advise how much fluid you are adding (or removing). They should be available at most auto parts outlets.

It came in handy when I decided to add some moly to my engine oil this week. I removed 50cc of oil through the filler and then added 50cc of moly.

Yes I know adding moly is a waste of money according to some, but it's my free choice. Even placebos work if you believe in them :D :D
pcxpower
Regular User
Regular User
Color: White

Post by pcxpower »

I had no idea about "the moly thing": very interesting! ;)
2015 Honda PCX 125
frog13
Regular User
Regular User

Post by frog13 »

Does anyone else's Honda dealer not stock HP4M in 10w30 ?. I went to buy some today and found they only carry the HP4M in 10w 40 , that grade would be ok for the engine I suppose (here in Ohio the Temps are dropping , 40 is to 50 deg. during the day and mid 30s at night). The final drive / tranny, one would probably be wise to stay with the 10w 30 , correct.
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

pcxpower wrote:I had no idea about "the moly thing": very interesting! ;)
This is the product i use, "Liqui-Moly Mos 2 Anti-Friction Engine Treatment", it comes from Germany, so should be readily available in Europe
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

frog13 wrote:Honda dealer not stock HP4M in 10w30 ?
The final drive oil is not really too critical on a 13hp machine. It sounds (smells) like it had high pressure differential oil in it from the factory but they are telling you to just put engine oil back in. Buy whatever you want at the auto parts store. It takes less than a bottle and you hardly ever change it so you might as well splurge on some full syn. Same for the engine so buy two.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

There is a final drive oil available from castrol.
http://www.castrolmoto.com/en/products/ ... ar_oil.php

I'm never very sure about the shear qualities of engine oil so this might be better.
The manual does say use 10w/30 though.
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1415464438.709959.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1415464438.709959.jpg (11.39 KiB) Viewed 3509 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

this is good, faved it, thanks!
frog13
Regular User
Regular User

Post by frog13 »

I suppose the fluid issue is my question. Honda corporate says to put HP4M 10W30 in the final drive as well . I'm not changing the final drive fluid just want to have what the engineers recommend on hand / available and it isn't in any Honda dealership around here (HP4M 10W30). They do have the HP4M In 10w 40 , I suppose that will be ok for 40ish degree weather? .
frog13
Regular User
Regular User

Post by frog13 »

Rat's , another slow forum , oh well , off to Advrider I suppose .
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

frog13 wrote:Rat's , another slow forum , oh well , off to Advrider I suppose .
ADV is even slower for tech info on the PCX. What do you want us to tell you? The manuals all say 10-30 but the dealers never carry that. I just use the automotive Mobil1 5w40 out of the tap at work for my oil changes on the PCX since it doesn't have a wet clutch it doesn't need motorcycle specific oil. If the manual says motor oil for the final drive and not gear oil, I would use it again back there. Any good oil is really good these days. Oil brands and formulas can be nit picked ad nauseum in forums. Use any top brand 5w30, 5w40, 10w40. Whatever. The PCX holds less than 1 quart. Splurge and buy synthetic.
frog13
Regular User
Regular User

Post by frog13 »

sendler2112 wrote:
frog13 wrote:Honda dealer not stock HP4M in 10w30 ?
The final drive oil is not really too critical on a 13hp machine. It sounds (smells) like it had high pressure differential oil in it from the factory but they are telling you to just put engine oil back in. Buy whatever you want at the auto parts store. It takes less than a bottle and you hardly ever change it so you might as well splurge on some full syn. Same for the engine so buy two.[/quote

Final drive fluid not too critical......hmmm , how peculiar .
frog13
Regular User
Regular User

Post by frog13 »

Spoke to Honda corporate yesterday in Torrence Cali. , they advise to stick with the 10w 30 or 10w 40 MB spec'd oils for both the engine and final drive .