300 mile report

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

300 mile report

Post by Jarec »

The odometer just turned 300 miles. Some observations:

-I really like the scooter. Handles beautifully, adequate acceleration, very smooth and beautifully made.

-My grown daughter says the red color looks like Iron Man. So now I need some yellow trim :D

-I'm 6'2", 200 lbs, and the PCX 150 feels a bit small. I know folks bigger than me think it's fine. My knees get in the way on slow, tight turns.

-Over about 45 mph, wind gusts and buffeting make it feel less stable, although I haven't felt in danger. It feels solid given how lean it is. Might get a windshield.

-I live and ride at 5200-6000 feet. It struggles to get to 60 and I wonder if that's because of the altitude or because it's not broken in (I think someone commented that 2000 miles or so is when they are all broken in and will go as fast as they are supposed to).

-After a ride on back roads of about 60 minutes each way, I was bushed. Maybe it's my age (64) combined with characteristics of the scooter and my size. Perhaps new shocks, a windshield and a new seat would make it easier to ride long. However, it works fine for me for trips of up to 20 miles at speeds up to about 50 mph.

-I raced a thunderstorm home and lost. The scooter did well in the rain. I was concerned when I saw a big truck coming toward me in the opposite lane, throwing lots of water and spray from the pavement, and us each doing about 50 mph. To my surprise and relief, there was very little effect on the scooter.

-The spark plug port access panel on the left side near the left ankle keeps getting knocked out of alignment. I must be hitting it pretty hard with my foot somehow.

-In summary, glad I bought it and would do it again. The 600 mile oil change and valve adjustment will be here before I know it.

Thanks for reading, and happy riding! John
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
homey
Regular User
Regular User

Re: 300 mile report

Post by homey »

312 miles today after owning the PCX for just 10 days :) can I go fast now!
I too am falling in love with this silly little scooter, I know people are laughing but she has sexy curves and soooo stealthy. I slip out after midnight when traffic is sparse without waking the neighborhood and like a thief in the night it's just me and the police jetting up and down the boulevard. I don't know why they don't stop me I have only a permit with dealer tags, not suppose to be out after dark.

I don't like my helmet, drowns out the purrrrrrrrr of the tiny engine so I'm not wearing it. The scooter issue for me is centered around the saddle, fells like I'm too far forward and slipping down all the time. Sometimes I hop to the passenger seat to stretch out for a few miles and it almost seems more natural back there. Somewhere in the middle (right where the hump is) would be better.

My wife says the PCX is too small go trade it for a bigger motorcycle. But guess what... I will take her up on the bigger bike purchase but I'm keeping 'Shay Whitey' because I REALLY like this scooter! There is only one other scooter that captures my sweet eye and that's BMW 600cc for 10k but who needs two scooters. Sadly I just don't like the look of any sport bike from any maker on the market today, perhaps the best designs were of the past. I won't have a thunder-tail Harley, no cruiser or crotch rocket for me thank you. Seriously these new Sport Bikes might be great but why so ugly? I know it's a sport bike 600cc or up for me but I won't shine it if it doesn't look as cool as the Honda PCX.

So will you do your our own tune up and oil change Jarec? There are some decent instructions in old posts. I will not hand 'Shay Whitey' over to Honda to be torn down at only 600 miles for valve adjustment. I can do my own oil, brake and throttle but should we be concerned about the belt drive? Never owned a motorcycle with a belt before, I'm dated and all the bikes before for me were chain driven.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Wish my PCX purred - even with a close fitting helmet I dread hearing the noise it makes taking off or going 30-40mph. I've not idea how the belt/clutch can be very quite on most and noisy on others.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Jarec wrote: My knees get in the way on slow, tight turns.
One simple cure for that is stick your leg out like motocrossers do.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

Hi homey, sounds like we're at about the same stage of relationship with our PCXs. Yes, we can go fast now!

I love the thought of you riding after midnight, sounds like a great summer night experience.

I too don't like my helmet. It's a modular one that I wear with the visor down. To me it substantially reduces the pleasure of being on the scooter. However, I'm sold on the safety benefits so I use it all the time.

That's an interesting thought, hopping back to the back seat to stretch a bit. I'll have to try that. Are you going to get a new seat, or maybe temporarily remove the peg to see how you like it?

I haven't seen the 600cc BMW scooter you mentioned. Before I bought the PCX, I rode a Yamaha Majestic 400 (2008, I believe, about 4K miles). Surprisingly it was less comfortable for me than the PCX, although I didn't take a long ride. It felt clunky and hard to maneuver after the PCX.

I admire those who can do some or all of their own maintenance. I might manage an oil change, but am not mechanically inclined so probably will let the shop do the work.

I'm not concerned about the belt drive. I'm sure it has its quirks, but belts are used all the time in industrial applications. Seems to be a mature technology.

Thanks for your reply to my note! John
homey wrote:312 miles today after owning the PCX for just 10 days :) can I go fast now!
I too am falling in love with this silly little scooter, I know people are laughing but she has sexy curves and soooo stealthy. I slip out after midnight when traffic is sparse without waking the neighborhood and like a thief in the night it's just me and the police jetting up and down the boulevard. I don't know why they don't stop me I have only a permit with dealer tags, not suppose to be out after dark.

I don't like my helmet, drowns out the purrrrrrrrr of the tiny engine so I'm not wearing it. The scooter issue for me is centered around the saddle, fells like I'm too far forward and slipping down all the time. Sometimes I hop to the passenger seat to stretch out for a few miles and it almost seems more natural back there. Somewhere in the middle (right where the hump is) would be better.

My wife says the PCX is too small go trade it for a bigger motorcycle. But guess what... I will take her up on the bigger bike purchase but I'm keeping 'Shay Whitey' because I REALLY like this scooter! There is only one other scooter that captures my sweet eye and that's BMW 600cc for 10k but who needs two scooters. Sadly I just don't like the look of any sport bike from any maker on the market today, perhaps the best designs were of the past. I won't have a thunder-tail Harley, no cruiser or crotch rocket for me thank you. Seriously these new Sport Bikes might be great but why so ugly? I know it's a sport bike 600cc or up for me but I won't shine it if it doesn't look as cool as the Honda PCX.

So will you do your our own tune up and oil change Jarec? There are some decent instructions in old posts. I will not hand 'Shay Whitey' over to Honda to be torn down at only 600 miles for valve adjustment. I can do my own oil, brake and throttle but should we be concerned about the belt drive? Never owned a motorcycle with a belt before, I'm dated and all the bikes before for me were chain driven.
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

Hadn't noticed that noise, Iceman. What's it like?
iceman wrote:Wish my PCX purred - even with a close fitting helmet I dread hearing the noise it makes taking off or going 30-40mph. I've not idea how the belt/clutch can be very quite on most and noisy on others.
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

Good tip, thanks gn2.
gn2 wrote:
Jarec wrote: My knees get in the way on slow, tight turns.
One simple cure for that is stick your leg out like motocrossers do.
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
homey
Regular User
Regular User

Post by homey »

Jarec wrote:That's an interesting thought, hopping back to the back seat to stretch a bit. I'll have to try that. Are you going to get a new seat, or maybe temporarily remove the peg to see how you like it? I haven't seen the 600cc BMW scooter

WARNING! I assumed you had a 2015 model without the back rest (hump). I see by your avatar that you have a different seat so please don't hop up on the rear portion in motion because I said its comforteble... we might have different seats. Here is in my opinion the very best scooter available to me. http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/bmw ... e3969.html
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

Ah! Thanks for the heads up! (Or bottoms up, since we are discussing seating ;) )

That BMW scooter looks sweet. Maybe I'll test drive one next time I'm near a dealer.
homey wrote: WARNING! I assumed you had a 2015 model without the back rest (hump). I see by your avatar that you have a different seat so please don't hop up on the rear portion in motion because I said its comforteble... we might have different seats. Here is in my opinion the very best scooter available to me. http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/bmw ... e3969.html
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I actually saw one of those BMW scooters riding around town. It looks nice. However, I read some reviews on it and came to the conclusion that the maintenance on it is expensive, like most BMW products. I think I read recently that it is considered the best scooter out there right now, but is quite expensive. The nice thing about the PCX is that it is inexpensive and yet can still be made to be comfortable with some changes to the seat and windshield. The amount of money I have spent on both my PCX and my wife's PCX don't add up to the base cost of a BMW scooter. So I would have to say that if you can afford a BMW scooter you must not have to worry about a budget.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

Mel46, has the windshield and the seat mod made a big difference for you? What have been the main benefits? Thanks.
Mel46 wrote:I actually saw one of those BMW scooters riding around town. It looks nice. However, I read some reviews on it and came to the conclusion that the maintenance on it is expensive, like most BMW products. I think I read recently that it is considered the best scooter out there right now, but is quite expensive. The nice thing about the PCX is that it is inexpensive and yet can still be made to be comfortable with some changes to the seat and windshield. The amount of money I have spent on both my PCX and my wife's PCX don't add up to the base cost of a BMW scooter. So I would have to say that if you can afford a BMW scooter you must not have to worry about a budget.
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
Alice761

Post by Alice761 »

306 miles and she is running great . Going on a ride tonight to NJ with other scooters going to be fun.
homey
Regular User
Regular User

Post by homey »

Mel46 wrote: The nice thing about the PCX is that it is inexpensive and yet can still be made to be comfortable with some changes to the seat and windshield. The amount of money I have spent on both my PCX and my wife's PCX don't add up to the base cost of a BMW scooter. So I would have to say that if you can afford a BMW scooter you must not have to worry about a budget.
Agreed... In the world of scooters we're on the right track with PCX, its just rude for BMW to tease us with something like this. Maybe Honda can steal some of the design in future PCX models or BMW can scale it down in the 150-200cc range and not be so hoity :roll: Yes, I need to find a Sport Bike from the rice burner collection I can look at with the same kind of affection one gets with the PCX.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Jarec wrote:Hadn't noticed that noise, Iceman. What's it like?
iceman wrote:Wish my PCX purred - even with a close fitting helmet I dread hearing the noise it makes taking off or going 30-40mph. I've not idea how the belt/clutch can be very quite on most and noisy on others.
Hard to describe. Idling is not the issue, it's when moving. much louder than any PCX's in any clip/video I can find, allowing for mics away from the engine.
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

Sounds like a great evening, Alice. Are there other PCX riders in your group?
Alice761 wrote:306 miles and she is running great . Going on a ride tonight to NJ with other scooters going to be fun.
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

Warranty issue maybe?
iceman wrote:
Jarec wrote:Hadn't noticed that noise, Iceman. What's it like?
Hard to describe. Idling is not the issue, it's when moving. much louder than any PCX's in any clip/video I can find, allowing for mics away from the engine.
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360