And there he goes ...

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Ben Lee
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 (model 13)
Color: Caucasian

And there he goes ...

Post by Ben Lee »

My first slider is a fact!

Today going to work at 6.40 am thet road was wet, the pooring rain had just stopped.

I had to take a right turn (luckily very slow) en my front wheel slipped away on a "painted" bicycle lane...

Did'nt even have time to think...

Damage isn't so bad, som scratches on the plastic of the bike (won't be replacing, just covering up ... untill I'me more experianced ...) Jeans are schredded and the cellphone in my pocket (stil works, but the backside is scratched) went into my quadriceps (upper leg muscle). This will take a few day's of icing and biting off the bearable pain ...

I guess that's the learning fee ... does makes me think, what kind of an idiot PAINTS whole slippery lanes on an intersection?
O ... here they are: Image

Learned four things today:
1. Doesn't matter what colour ... painted things on the road are slippery when wet.
2. Red asfalt isn't always red asfalt, but sometimes asfalt PAINTED red ...
3. Jeans aren't slide proof, a motor jacket is ...
4. Things in your pocket are going straight in to your muscle when hitting the asfalt!

And that lesson costs me:
three day's sick leaf (working insurance, so fully paid),
some quadriceps pain,
one jeans
and some black scratches on my white PCX ...

Ben.
A Belgian beer please, I don't like water, that's the shit that rusts my PCX!
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: And there he goes ...

Post by DAB »

Ben Lee wrote:4. Things in your pocket are going straight in to your muscle when hitting the asfalt!

Ben.
A very important, and often forgotten point.
Also don't wear a rucksack if possible, better to fix it to the bike.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

DAB wrote:
Ben Lee wrote:... Also don't wear a rucksack if possible, better to fix it to the bike.
Being a novice rider with minimal riding experience, I'm wondering why would this be an issue?
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Because it can cause additional injury if you crash.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DAB »

kramnala58 wrote:
DAB wrote:
Ben Lee wrote:... Also don't wear a rucksack if possible, better to fix it to the bike.
Being a novice rider with minimal riding experience, I'm wondering why would this be an issue?
People have had arms ripped off due to the bag being snagged while having an off. A few years ago some one was killed in my city, they were only doing 30 mph, a car pulled out and the bag he was carrying got caught on the cars bodywork, his neck was not strong enough and lost his head.
Any bag can also get caught on the bikes bodywork and take you with it.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
Ben Lee
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ben Lee »

Ik can vouch for that ... don't wanna know what a thermos in a backpack can do, landing flat on your back ...

My cellfone is .3 inch thick ... yet ... it hurts landing on it!

Ben.
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Belgian beer in copious quantities will help the healing process. Speedy recovery!
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Indyglow »

Thank you Ben! I never thought about this before and always carried my house key in my pocket.
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

Most importantly, glad you're (mostly) OK!

Good points about the backpack... riding with one today for the first time, but I'll be stuffing it inside my topcase instead!
socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Post by socoguy78 »

I'll have to wear a backpack for school... only a 3 mile ride in a 35mph zone with traffic only while riding home. I don't think the backpack will fit under the seat ;-/
Tribpreper
Banned User
Banned User

Post by Tribpreper »

Ben Lee wrote: what kind of an idiot PAINTS whole slippery lanes on an intersection?
God Bless You Brother.
An errant vehicle at a poor moment could have caused this thread to never exist.
Wet railroad tracks are bad also. From years of proactive thinking, I try, whenever possible to cross them perpendicularly.

Plastic is on the shelf. Bone ain't.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

Wow! Glad you're ok Ben. What a total bummer to have to experience that. :(
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Whoa...Ben! slippery stuff! Sorry that happened! Good to hear you're doing okay. Bet it shook you up quite a bit. Those damn painted lines, wet or not are a challenge. I dislike seeing them. I feel more and more are being added everywhere I go. How about the speed bumps? Oh yeah, a real plus on the roads My neighbor just dumped his bike going over one near his house. Holy crap! Dribbling over it at what? 5mph? Geez. Railroad tracks? I avoid at all costs, but will go over properly if need be. Bicycling many over many tracks when I was younger has taught me good.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

(Cont.) (I hit the submit button too soon :oops:)

Lots of slick, slippery "stuff" ahead, I prefer to ride the road(s) less travelled. But, it's not a perfect world.
Speedy recovery Ben! Hey, You might want to share your band-aid's with yer scoot (might need an extra large though) ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Ben Lee
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ben Lee »

Hey all,

Thx for the comments, the day after a little neck muscle pain but nothing to bad. The upper leg is better then yesterday, I think icing it 5 times yesterday really helpt ...

As for band-aids for my scoot ... don't wear any ... so might icing the scoot help?
No, the scratches on the pcx aren't that bad, just not that joyfull having em on a new scooter ...

Will probably sand and paint them later on ... PCX was to be a scooter to get experiance and trade in for a bigger scooter once I get a full license, with these scratches ... I guess I will be riding it a few more years and ware it down all the way ... at this pace ... that won't be long!

Ben.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DAB »

socoguy78 wrote:I'll have to wear a backpack for school... only a 3 mile ride in a 35mph zone with traffic only while riding home. I don't think the backpack will fit under the seat ;-/
If you have a rack just bungee your rucksack to this, only takes a second.
I also occasionally ride with a rucksack, just wanted to bring up the subject as I know there are many people here new to motorcycling.
Other rides
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I created a thread showingg how you could add tie down straps to your scooter. Once the straps are on, you can use them to tie almost anything to the back of the scooter. If you had a tailbox it would be even easier to attach things because the tailbox would act as a wall to keep stuff tied on the seat from sliding backwards. When the straps are not in use you can tie them together behind the tail lights.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

socoguy78 wrote:I'll have to wear a backpack for school... only a 3 mile ride in a 35mph zone with traffic only while riding home. I don't think the backpack will fit under the seat ;-/
Sit it on the fuel filler lid area or bungee it onto the back seat.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Post by socoguy78 »

DAB wrote:
If you have a rack just bungee your rucksack to this, only takes a second.
I also occasionally ride with a rucksack, just wanted to bring up the subject as I know there are many people here new to motorcycling.
A trip to Walmart for Bungee cords!
socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Post by socoguy78 »

gn2 wrote:
Sit it on the fuel filler lid area or bungee it onto the back seat.
Never thought about on top of where the fuel lid is, bungee it some how there and my legs could act as support... thank you