Coolant change

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Coolant change

Post by logepoge1 »

Topped it off and tonight took for test ride. Bone dry. Now to take rear panels off AGAIN
ImageImage
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

Well actually I had reservoir so full it looked empty. I went ahead and flushed the coolant and added new
ImageImage
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

logepoge1 wrote:Well actually I had reservoir so full it looked empty. I went ahead and flushed the coolant and added new

At least you have owned up to it.

I've made the stupidest of mistakes today modifying a vehicle. What prawn, I amazed myself...
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

It was annoying. And now I have lost the backplate for putting seat back on. What's worse is I accidentally switched the battery around so I blew main fuse 2. I wasn't concentrating as much as I should have honestly. I was in a hurry
ImageImage
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

loge! Oh no no no. Must not hurry whilst stripping thy scoot. Must be slow, gentle and kind. Focus! Rushing? Never good, only makes matters worse. Did you find this missing backplate? And then...POOF!! The fuse blew? Oh my! Slow down. She was just pulling herself back together and now? She's back in yer shop :cry: good luck moving forward, and Please! keep us posted.
P.S. And BTW, I'm glad you decided Not To Sell her :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

Fuse blew before I took apart. It's rideable just seat wobbly. It's been raining here a lot since then so haven't gotten the chance to look for it and waiting on my visor clips to come in cause can't use my bluetooth helmet in rain without the visor
ImageImage
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 PCX 125
Color: matt black

Post by wojtek_pl »

Hi,

anyone knows coolant parameters like freezing and boiling points of the standard Honda coolants? I may have -25C in winter and probably my PCX will be outside...
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Post by OriginalRocket »

Will be fine, coolant is good to -36C. If you are worried, purchase the concentrate and make it a 60/40 ratio coolant/pure water For added freeze protection down to -45C if I recall correctly.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Hmm, can someone clarify if the coolant as supplied with the scooter (and following the 600 mile service) is fine to be left alone for the cold winter months coming all too soon. I gather so as I can't recall the manual mentioning topping up for the winter, other than check the level is above min. Just want to be sure as a few months from now it will start dipping below zero.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Yes the original coolant is OK for all year round.
First coolant change not due till two years from new.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 PCX 125
Color: matt black

Post by wojtek_pl »

Thanks for info.

Iceman, if You are worried just change it for the one you know specifications. I'm seriously considering changing mine. Just to be sure...
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

wojtek_pl wrote:Thanks for info.

Iceman, if You are worried just change it for the one you know specifications. I'm seriously considering changing mine. Just to be sure...
Like the other two responders said, the stock coolant is fine year round.

If you do change it, make sure you use silicate-free coolant or you will destroy the block.

I would make sure you're running 10w30. 10w40 is in-spec and good for hot weather, but should not be used in the winter.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
pcxpower
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by pcxpower »

Thanks for the very useful information! ;)
2015 Honda PCX 125
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

maddiedog wrote:It's ridiculously easy to change the coolant. It's only one page in the service manual, and is basically self-explanatory. :)
Hi Maddiedog and all. Yes, draining and filling the radiator is easy as the cap and radiator drain bolt are easy to get to once the cover and lower panel is removed, but I could not find the cylinder drain bolt as per the picture in the service manual (2015 LED version).
To drain and replace the coolant is a three step process - drain the radiator and cylinder block, replace drain bolts, fill at the radiator and the top up the reserve tank and bleed the system.
Finding the cylinder drain bolt proved tricky so I gave up.