PCX150 replacement tires

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

TakeOff

PCX150 replacement tires

Post by TakeOff »

I would like to hear from the group on what is the best tires to place on the PXC150 once the factory Dunlop 900 F tires wear out? I would also like to know if the rear tire size can be increased over the stock size? This scooter usually has 2 up riders and perhaps a larger tire would be better for the extra weight.
Thanks for your input.
Live life to the fullest, ride with a smile!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: PCX150 replacement tires

Post by gn2 »

Best tyres are Michelin Citygrip in the correct sizes.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
TakeOff

Post by TakeOff »

I appreciate the recommendation of Michelin tires. I take it increasing the size of the rear tire is not an option?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Depends on whether you think Honda know what they are doing when it comes to recommending suitable tyres for their scooters or whether you think random guff on the internet is a better guide.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

I love my pirelli diablos as another option. My personal recommendation is that while you can run a 120/70-14 front and a 140/70-14 rear, you will lose top end performance. I would suggest the larger size only if you are okay with modifications to make them fit. Otherwise pirelli and michelin both make nice tires in the stock size.
TakeOff

Post by TakeOff »

Thanks for the Pirelli recommendation. I guess keeping the stock size will be the best choice, no big deal it was just a question.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

The question always comes up.
1. Do larger tires fit? - Yes, with 4-5 washers and longer bolts spacing out the airbox and the inner fender removed. (A new fender is $6.00 from the local dealer here.)
2. Do larger tires affect ride? - Yes, the ride is cushier and the "bigger is better" placebo definetly helps. Also stability is increased from the larger rotating mass.
3. Will I loose performance - Yes. 2-3 miles per gallon. Also the speedometer will be off by several mph. Acceleration is ever so slightly hindered. Top speed will be reduced by SEVERAL mph because of larger mass.
TakeOff

Post by TakeOff »

Thank for that input. I am in agreement a larger tire should offer a slightly better ride. Not sure or understand why top speed or less gas mileage would suffer. The difference in width from a 100mm to a 140mm wide tire is only 1.58 inches wider. We aren't going all that much larger a tire. I understand the speedo being different since the tire would be making more revolutions.