Top Case Recommendation & underseat space?

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Top Case Recommendation & underseat space?

Post by Valiant »

Hi all,

I'll be taking my MSF BRC in a few days and wanted to get a solid idea of what to buy for accessories. My security will include a 13mm 6.5" Protector chain, 2 Squire SS50CS Stronghold High Security padlock, an Abus 83WP/53 Weatherproof House-Key padlock(to lock the cover), and a Dowco Weatherall Guardian Plus Cover(with cover alarm). None of which I have on hand yet, so I'm not 100% sure if I can cram it all into the underseat storage, but I sincerely doubt it.

I was considering the Honda Genuine top case, but I hear it's both pricey($275) and of poorer quality than the Givi cases, but I also hear that Givi Monolocks are simple mouldings and aren't very strong. That, and I'm wondering about security. I see a lock on the OEM case, but it doesn't look like it's screwed onto the rack in any way and can simply be popped off in seconds. Am I missing something about that?

And how big is that underseat storage? I have a Scorpion EXO-1100 Sixty-Six Neon Helmet Medium Full Face. I'd also want to stick my riding gloves inside as well, so I don't have to lug both of them around with me, and figure maybe the seat storage might be better if I'm a victim of accessory theft and they either pop off or tear off the case. I recall reading that someone had trouble getting the seat to close on the helmet and needed a separate top case because of it.

Would it also be awkward if I tried to ride with this rested on the seat while the strap on my shoulder keeps it upright?:

It would weigh about 18 lbs. I have a proper backpack, but my experience with riding a bicycle with one is that the weight is going to strain your back trying to keep yourself upright.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Top Case Recommendation & underseat space?

Post by you you »

Valiant wrote:Hi all,

I'll be taking my MSF BRC in a few days and wanted to get a solid idea of what to buy for accessories. My security will include a 13mm 6.5" Protector chain, 2 Squire SS50CS Stronghold High Security padlock, an Abus 83WP/53 Weatherproof House-Key padlock(to lock the cover), and a Dowco Weatherall Guardian Plus Cover(with cover alarm). None of which I have on hand yet, so I'm not 100% sure if I can cram it all into the underseat storage, but I sincerely doubt it.

I was considering the Honda Genuine top case, but I hear it's both pricey($275) and of poorer quality than the Givi cases, but I also hear that Givi Monolocks are simple mouldings and aren't very strong. That, and I'm wondering about security. I see a lock on the OEM case, but it doesn't look like it's screwed onto the rack in any way and can simply be popped off in seconds. Am I missing something about that?

And how big is that underseat storage? I have a Scorpion EXO-1100 Sixty-Six Neon Helmet Medium Full Face. I'd also want to stick my riding gloves inside as well, so I don't have to lug both of them around with me, and figure maybe the seat storage might be better if I'm a victim of accessory theft and they either pop off or tear off the case. I recall reading that someone had trouble getting the seat to close on the helmet and needed a separate top case because of it.

Would it also be awkward if I tried to ride with this rested on the seat while the strap on my shoulder keeps it upright?:

It would weigh about 18 lbs. I have a proper backpack, but my experience with riding a bicycle with one is that the weight is going to strain your back trying to keep yourself upright.
Where do live, Syria?
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

you you wrote: Where do live, Syria?
No, Honolulu.

Less killing, more stealing.
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

You might try a Pelican brand case bolted to the rack. Pelican cases are tougher than top cases and come in a wide variety of sizes. Most sizes have holes for two padlocks. As I mentioned before in reply to you, if a thief wants it he'll get it, so don't store anything valuable inside.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
Nines

Post by Nines »

I started a thread about which helmets will or will not fit under the seat a while back. Run a search on it. The riding position is fairly upright as opposed to some bicycles, so I would try the backpack a few times before you write the idea off. Take your helmet to the dealership and try it out (if nothing else), you're spending money with them, the least they can do is let you see if it'll work out.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Nines wrote:I started a thread about which helmets will or will not fit under the seat a while back. Run a search on it. The riding position is fairly upright as opposed to some bicycles, so I would try the backpack a few times before you write the idea off. Take your helmet to the dealership and try it out (if nothing else), you're spending money with them, the least they can do is let you see if it'll work out.
Eh, I'd probably try with the briefcase before the backpack though. At $500, it's a damned shame to let it collect dust.

I'll definitely bring the helmet over to the dealer, and ask them about accessories installation(really don't trust myself to do it) while I'm at it. I'll probably still get a topcase for the cover, but I just prefer shoving my helmet under the seat.

*cough*

Might be about a week after my MSF BRC course though. Damned sore all over :D .
Bash On! wrote:You might try a Pelican brand case bolted to the rack. Pelican cases are tougher than top cases and come in a wide variety of sizes. Most sizes have holes for two padlocks. As I mentioned before in reply to you, if a thief wants it he'll get it, so don't store anything valuable inside.
What, like my helmet? Might be a little bulky to drag around campus. My wallet might not miss it much, but I might rig pepper spray into my Dowco Cover next time around if someone steals the one thing keeping my brain from ending up splattered on the pavement.

With more perusing of this forum, I think the saddlebag + topcase option would be best for me. Those pelican cases DO look tough, but I guess tougher might also mean more weight?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Valiant wrote:
No, Honolulu.

Less killing, more stealing.

Hawaii 5 O are really slipping...
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Funnily enough, I don't watch enough TV to know about that show other than it's filmed in Hawaii... just like Baywatch:D.

The problem isn't hard to grasp. We're on an island. That means limited space. That space is reserved for violent criminals(or so the theory goes). That leaves convicted felons on the streets who, because of their felony, could never find honest work again(assuming they're interested). So it's not strange to see them at it again and again.
Allobar

Post by Allobar »

I'd suggest ditching the classic briefcase for a set of Tucano/Urbano panniers...
Will give you quite a bit of extra room-one for your work things and one for your security measures..
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by dustin91 »

Valiant wrote:
No, Honolulu. Less killing, more stealing.

Nice! I was born there in '68, at Tripler Army Hospital, while my father was stationed there. Mom took me back stateside when I was two weeks old, so it was only on my honeymoon in 2002 that I got a chance to finally see the state... and the hospital, but only from a distance.

I would not mind a scooter tour of the islands some day...
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Allobar wrote:I'd suggest ditching the classic briefcase for a set of Tucano/Urbano panniers...
Will give you quite a bit of extra room-one for your work things and one for your security measures..
How would those work when I detach one? Would the other one stay on, or would it just be completely loose?

Also have to ask if there's a major functional difference between that one and say, this:
http://www.revzilla.com/product/firstge ... saddlebags

Just asking since my searches only turn up UK sources, which can take a while to get here.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Valiant wrote:Funnily enough, I don't watch enough TV to know about that show other than it's filmed in Hawaii... just like Baywatch:D.

The problem isn't hard to grasp. We're on an island. That means limited space. That space is reserved for violent criminals(or so the theory goes). That leaves convicted felons on the streets who, because of their felony, could never find honest work again(assuming they're interested). So it's not strange to see them at it again and again.

I'm on an island too.

Have you ever been a victim of crime?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

^ me too. A Long one :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

you you wrote:
Valiant wrote:Funnily enough, I don't watch enough TV to know about that show other than it's filmed in Hawaii... just like Baywatch:D.

I'm on an island too.

Yes, twice.

The first time, my Schwinn bicycle was stolen, cut right through a cable lock. Second time, I was tackled off my bicycle while I was on the sidewalk. Kid claimed he was trying to cross the road, but it's kind of strange to be crossing a road by running full sprint from the part of the sidewalk furthest from the road.

Both happened in broad daylight, and I wasn't out in a stupid place at a stupid time.

So yeah, we've got some scum here.

The number of times I've run into crazy people talking to themselves(or screaming at you, "KILL THE FISH!!! KILL ME!!! KILL THE FISH!!!" for 3 minutes before the driver has a mind to pull over and call the police) either while taking the bus or waiting at the bus stop is something I've lost count of. I personally think we subsidize most of them by letting them out of mental health institutions, paying for their Section 8 housing and the foodstamps to feed them, as well as TANF so they can have some untraceable cash to buy more beer and weed with.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Valiant wrote:
you you wrote:

I'm on an island too.

Yes, twice.

The first time, my Schwinn bicycle was stolen, cut right through a cable lock. Second time, I was tackled off my bicycle while I was on the sidewalk. Kid claimed he was trying to cross the road, but it's kind of strange to be crossing a road by running full sprint from the part of the sidewalk furthest from the road.

Both happened in broad daylight, and I wasn't out in a stupid place at a stupid time.

So yeah, we've got some scum here.

The number of times I've run into crazy people talking to themselves(or screaming at you, "KILL THE FISH!!! KILL ME!!! KILL THE FISH!!!" for 3 minutes before the driver has a mind to pull over and call the police) either while taking the bus or waiting at the bus stop is something I've lost count of. I personally think we subsidize most of them by letting them out of mental health institutions, paying for their Section 8 housing and the foodstamps to feed them, as well as TANF so they can have some untraceable cash to buy more beer and weed with.

I've had a pedal bike stolen too.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Me too, a peddler :x right outside a local market whilst buying a bag of tatters. Had to walk them home.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:Me too, a peddler :x right outside a local market whilst buying a bag of tatters. Had to walk them home.

Are you traumatised? I wasn't. I kind of moved on a teeny bit in the intervening 45 years. Not all my life's choices are based around it now.
M6AEY

Post by M6AEY »

Might I make a suggestion?

http://www.newfeel.com/en/products/backenger-bag

I picked one of these up for about £35 from my local sporting goods store and love the option of both a backpack and a shoulder bag. Mine is waterproof with enough pockets for all my work stuff, I'm still getting a GIVI but as a bag its the best I've ever used...
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

you you wrote:
WhiteNoise wrote:Me too, a peddler :x right outside a local market whilst buying a bag of tatters. Had to walk them home.

Are you traumatised? I wasn't. I kind of moved on a teeny bit in the intervening 45 years. Not all my life's choices are based around it now.
Oh? Would you base your choice on securing one of the largest investments of your money if you've had a $1,000 bicycle stolen in the past 5 years while you're still going to college? Kind of changes the equation there doesn't it?

Frankly speaking, I'd expect to only lose $1,000 if it gets stolen, mostly because my insurance won't cover the locks, dealer fees, and taxes. That's still quite a sum of money if your monthly income amounts to about $1,200; and your mortgage is $1,000.
M6AEY wrote:Might I make a suggestion?

I picked one of these up for about £35 from my local sporting goods store and love the option of both a backpack and a shoulder bag. Mine is waterproof with enough pockets for all my work stuff, I'm still getting a GIVI but as a bag its the best I've ever used...
Mine already does that:

If there's a downside at all, it's that the briefcase is a bit stiffer, being full grain leather instead of nice cushiony nylon. I also like to slather it with Chamberlain's #3 Leather Milk w/ Water Protectant, so it's good in the rain. It's fairly water resistant in and of itself anyway as the pigskin liner doesn't let water through as easily. But as I said, simply walking with a backpack on like that tends to make my back sore, but shoulder strap bags don't seem to cause the same issue for me.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Valiant wrote:
you you wrote:

Oh? Would you base your choice on securing one of the largest investments of your money if you've had a $1,000 bicycle stolen in the past 5 years while you're still going to college? Kind of changes the equation there doesn't it?

Frankly speaking, I'd expect to only lose $1,000 if it gets stolen, mostly because my insurance won't cover the locks, dealer fees, and taxes. That's still quite a sum of money if your monthly income amounts to about $1,200; and your mortgage is $1,000.
M6AEY wrote:Might I make a suggestion?

Mine already does that:

If there's a downside at all, it's that the briefcase is a bit stiffer, being full grain leather instead of nice cushiony nylon. I also like to slather it with Chamberlain's #3 Leather Milk w/ Water Protectant, so it's good in the rain. It's fairly water resistant in and of itself anyway as the pigskin liner doesn't let water through as easily. But as I said, simply walking with a backpack on like that tends to make my back sore, but shoulder strap bags don't seem to cause the same issue for me.
No equation changing moment really

Calm down about the loss of your peddely