Engine Breaking

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Engine Breaking

Post by socoguy78 »

I was wondering if anyone uses engine breaking on their pcx or other two wheeled treats? I got familiar with it when I drove a manual transmission car and finding it has been a joy on my pcx.

I know you wont break as fast using this technique, but it does save the breaks from replacement and repairs in the long term. I've only driven my pcx a few times, but am liking how it helps create a "buffer" zone between myself and the car in front of me incase if I need to use both breaks, if the car decides to slam on their breaks.

Even the car behind me will see the scooter slowing down and be forced to slow down farther away. If they aren't watching where they're going (e.g., texting on a cell :o , lighting a cigarette o_O , looking at a passenger in the car :roll: ) I can zoom up quicker with the increase of space between me and the front car, or change lanes, or pull into the emergency side lane or parking lot to keep from getting rear ended. Only God knows the number of times this has almost happened to me driving a car and keeping a view on the rear car through the rear view mirror as needed.

zach
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Engine Breaking

Post by Mel46 »

I use it all the time. It makes riding a lot safer. I taught my wife and now I think she depends on it too much.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

When I was a teenager my uncle who had ridden bikes for decades taught me one thing that I've remembered to this day.
Speed is controlled with the throttle, use it wisely.
Read the road ahead, adjust the speed for the conditions in good time with the throttle and you'll have more space and time to deal with any problems which will inevitably occur.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

gn2 wrote:When I was a teenager my uncle who had ridden bikes for decades taught me one thing that I've remembered to this day.
Speed is controlled with the throttle, use it wisely.
Read the road ahead, adjust the speed for the conditions in good time with the throttle and you'll have more space and time to deal with any problems which will inevitably occur.
+1
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
Duggle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 - 150
Color: black

Post by Duggle »

I use downshifting and engine braking all the time in my car, and the first time I rode the PCX I was surprised at how much it slows if you let off the throttle. I was expecting it to be more like an automatic transmission in a car. My only worry would be if you use engine braking too much on a motorcycle because there is no brake light for the car behind you to see, they might not realize how quickly you are slowing.
socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Post by socoguy78 »

Duggle wrote:My only worry would be if you use engine braking too much on a motorcycle because there is no brake light for the car behind you to see, they might not realize how quickly you are slowing.
Yeah, I hear you on that. I don't know if this is a good habit or not, or if it's bad for the breaking system, I squeeze the front break trigger barely when I feel/hear a click and "assume" the break lights turn on. I don't notice much of a difference in the scoot slowing down, but hope the break lights turn on. Questions to ask the motorcycle instructors in August...

zack
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Back up to a wall some evening and get comfortable with where your lights start to turn on based on how much you squeze the brake handle.

To add some salt to this conversation, I have found that with my Malossi red racing clutch springs the clutch disengauges just above 10 mph. I also use engine brakeing much of the time. You really should be using your brakes as little as possible under normal riding conditions because you are adjusting your speed accordingly. As an added benefit it also increases your fuel efficiency.
socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Post by socoguy78 »

Mgalutia88 wrote:Back up to a wall some evening and get comfortable with where your lights start to turn on based on how much you squeze the brake handle.

To add some salt to this conversation, I have found that with my Malossi red racing clutch springs the clutch disengauges just above 10 mph. I also use engine brakeing much of the time. You really should be using your brakes as little as possible under normal riding conditions because you are adjusting your speed accordingly. As an added benefit it also increases your fuel efficiency.

Wise advice. Thank you.

zach
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Post by OriginalRocket »

I do not engine brake. I am from the side that believes braking is done by replaceable brake pads and rotors.

That said, I do not live in a hilly area. Illinois is mostly flat.

I was taught to engine brake at the MSF course. It made no sense to me. I've never had a automatic car, so to not burn out a clutch I use my brakes to slow down. I never clutch down to slow down. The OEM fly wheel was still in good condition on my Integra GS-R after 110,000 miles when I upgraded to a stage 1 clutch.
Urbanfreestyle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 (UK)
Color: Black

Post by Urbanfreestyle »

I'm a massive fan of engine braking. in both the car and on my bike. I think it's a case of reading the road correctly.
Honda PCX 125 ESP (Black)
Power:11.7 hp @8500 rpm, Torque:12Nm @5000rpm
Mods: LED sidelights, Yoshimura Exhaust

DEAD: 2013 Piaggio Typhoon 4 stroke 125cc (Black)
Power:9.65 HP @8500 rpm, Torque:8.2Nm @7500 rpm
Mods: Malossi Red foam filter, Hex LED Sidelights, Xenon headlights, USB charging port
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

OriginalRocket wrote:I do not engine brake. I am from the side that believes braking is done by replaceable brake pads and rotors.

That said, I do not live in a hilly area. Illinois is mostly flat.

I was taught to engine brake at the MSF course. It made no sense to me. I've never had a automatic car, so to not burn out a clutch I use my brakes to slow down. I never clutch down to slow down. The OEM fly wheel was still in good condition on my Integra GS-R after 110,000 miles when I upgraded to a stage 1 clutch.
I think you misunderstand the concept. Engine Braking = Coasting.
This has Nothing to do with burning out clutches. What they mean is that instead of grabbing the brakes immediately after letting off the gas, you coast. Let the momentum of the engine slow you down.

1) Let off the gas
2) Coast if possible to slow down.
3) Use brakes if necessary.

Disclaimer: No clutch pads were harmed in the utilization of Engine Braking. ;)
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
Urbanfreestyle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 (UK)
Color: Black

Post by Urbanfreestyle »

I would say coasting is the wrong term (at least to me) as this involves disengaging the gear completely. I would say it is allowing the engine to do the work, just using overrun (let off the throttle, touch nothing else and see how you slow down.
Honda PCX 125 ESP (Black)
Power:11.7 hp @8500 rpm, Torque:12Nm @5000rpm
Mods: LED sidelights, Yoshimura Exhaust

DEAD: 2013 Piaggio Typhoon 4 stroke 125cc (Black)
Power:9.65 HP @8500 rpm, Torque:8.2Nm @7500 rpm
Mods: Malossi Red foam filter, Hex LED Sidelights, Xenon headlights, USB charging port
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

Urbanfreestyle wrote:I would say coasting is the wrong term (at least to me) as this involves disengaging the gear completely. I would say it is allowing the engine to do the work, just using overrun (let off the throttle, touch nothing else and see how you slow down.
Well that is true since our scooters and most others do not allow you to disengage the gears above approx 10MPH.

But in the case of our scooters, releasing the throttle is coasting because that is all you can do with a centrifugal clutch CVT system.

If there is a more correct description for this I have not heard it yet.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I agree with gn2's Uncle. He must've whispered those exact words in my ear too :roll: Now how did that happen??
Whatever. It works! It's "How To" roll :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

(Cont.)
Try it, Do it! it's fun and you'll be proud of yourself for being in control. It perks your concentration on riding not daydreaming. You're more involved by being in control of your ride.
Examples: See that Yellow traffic light Ahead? Or that Stop sign Ahead? Or that school bus Ahead? >>Control your speed with your throttle not your brakes before you get there. You should be able to slow enough to come to a stop. If traffic is moving slowly ahead, the same applies, then just roll on some throttle to move on as they move. Shoot, you can even balance a bit without putting your feet down. Now That's Fun! :P
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

And it's braking

Not breaking

Ffs
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

you you wrote:And it's braking Not breaking Ffs
2 U's, sometimes you break me up! :lol: :lol: :lol:
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

:lol: Yep ^^
....and nothing said by me Or others. Leave it to 2yous, Ffs! What a gas! :lol:

gn2, did you really miss that? :? Slipping?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I thought it was just the american spelling.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

gn2 wrote:I thought it was just the american spelling.
No sadly, just our lacking public school system. :oops: