Engine making ticking noise after Valve adjustment

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

pcxtourer

Engine making ticking noise after Valve adjustment

Post by pcxtourer »

Hi Guys,

I'm new here and would like to get into the community more. I'm only just getting back onto my pcx now, I brought it at the start of 2011 but about a year ago burnt the piston (Long Story), the engine was bored and rebuilt but it had trouble at idle and kept stalling. I have just done a valve adjustment today and it finally works like usual; Starts up instantly and doesn't choke and stall at idle but now a loud ticking noise has popped up. The Intakte valve was sitting at 2.5mm out, The setting is 0.10mm! Exhaust valve hadn't moved and was in spec 0.25mm.

The noise wasn't there before the valve adjustment and was wondering if anyone could help me with what it may be! I have uploaded a video to youtube of the problem (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0fyvfLF ... e=youtu.be)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I love the pcx, can't wait for it to be going smoothly again!

Thankyou,

Giuseppe
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Engine making ticking noise after Valve adjustment

Post by gn2 »

pcxtourer wrote:about a year ago burnt the piston (Long Story)
Tell us more, sounds interesting.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
PCX-rider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCX-rider »

Are U homemade mechanic or trained mechanic?
Mitch Detailed
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mitch Detailed »

Sounds like its time for another rebuild if you ask me. You have to set valve lash at top dead center, tdc for short. If your engine isn't at tdc and you try to set valve lash, you could set the lash incorrectly, causing lack of power, bent valves, cracked piston, trashed valve seats, etc.

More damage is done if you adjust too tight than too loose. You typically need. .045" between the valves, and the valve and piston.

Good luck.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

R-check your clearances before you do anything else. My guess is that you'll find that they aren't what you think they are.
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

pcxtourer wrote:Hi Guys,

I'm new here and would like to get into the community more. I'm only just getting back onto my pcx now, I brought it at the start of 2011 but about a year ago burnt the piston (Long Story), the engine was bored and rebuilt but it had trouble at idle and kept stalling. I have just done a valve adjustment today and it finally works like usual; Starts up instantly and doesn't choke and stall at idle but now a loud ticking noise has popped up. The Intakte valve was sitting at 2.5mm out, The setting is 0.10mm! Exhaust valve hadn't moved and was in spec 0.25mm.

The noise wasn't there before the valve adjustment and was wondering if anyone could help me with what it may be! I have uploaded a video to youtube of the problem (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0fyvfLF ... e=youtu.be)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I love the pcx, can't wait for it to be going smoothly again!

Thankyou,

Giuseppe

Giusepee,

Any updates? I did my valve adjustment today and having the same horrible sounds. Tripled checked my work, questionable about the TDC marks on the cam using the dimple. I have a few - | marks, and two dimples, and one painted area...
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

update on myside the cam was 180 off. So this was probably the same issue you had.
stryder123
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 forza
Color: Red

Post by stryder123 »

Pull the spark plug. As you turn the motor over slowly feel inside for when the piston is at top then you can check where your marks are at on the cam.
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

here are my finds for the backside of the 150 cam.