Maddiedog's 170cc PCX

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Maddiedog's 170cc PCX

Post by Pcxdemon »

waspmike wrote:
Mgalutia88 wrote:So here is the RZ Racing link - you have to call or email him to ship to the USA
http://rzracing.nl/honda-pcx-tuning/hon ... -head.html

Here is the PCX Racing link
http://www.pcxracing.com/product.php?id ... &id_lang=1
Is there anything to suggest that they are not in fact stock Honda Sonic valve springs? If any one has a set to compare, let me know and I'll go to Honda and buy a set! I'll probably go tomorrow anyway just for curiously's sake . Then the question will be does anyone have a set they can measure to compare to the stock Honda components I will have in my hands.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with them being stock Honda parts being offered for sale but wouldn't it be more honest simply to say so?
Yuminashi springs are progressive type,as you can see on their website springs are two per valve,total of 4 springs. Is the Sonic springs consist of two or four springs?
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

Hi,

Sober this morning :lol: I wandered happily to Honda. They didn't have all the parts so PCX125 bits and the Sonic top retainer are on back order, ready on Monday. I'll probably go back Tuesday as the parts van arrives at 2.00pm.

Here's what I have so far.

I checked Sonic specs max power at 10,000, red line begins at 10,800-11,000.
wingz
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Dark Silver

Post by wingz »

The Kitaco gear will increase your gearing by 3.9%.
If you have a v1 PCX, you might want to consider also replacing one of the other gears (see below) with a stock gear from an esp model which will give you another 6.8% increase in gearing.
That is a total of about 11% increase which would be much more useful in my opinion.

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 100#p29467
Mgalutia88 wrote:Ok so Kitaco DID tell me that their high gear kit does not fit the pcx 150, however, according to the honda parts schematics it should!!! Kitaco and Yuminashi went about replacing different gears. Kitaco replaces gear number 07 in the diagram, while yuminashi goes about the change by replacing both gears 06 & 08.

Pcx v1
http://www.advantagepowersports.com/fic ... veh=190428

Pcx esp models
http://www.advantagepowersports.com/fic ... veh=135098

The gears 05&07 are identical tooth count for all pcx models however gear 05 is a different p/n. Gears 06&08 however are the same on pcx 125esp and 150esp models but different on the 2011 pcx. They are 13/47 on the v1 pcx while 13/44 on pcx esp models.

All this being said, with gear 07 being the same p/n and the gear Kitaco replaces it should be compatible and I wonder what would happen if you replaced both? What could you possibly do?
hatari
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hatari »

maddiedog wrote:I ordered about $550 worth of parts for my PCX yesterday:

With how expensive our newborn is.................,

I'll be doing two epic how-to's as a result -- how to completely dismantle a PCX, and how to install a big bore kit. This thread's to talk about the mods, logic behind choices I've made for parts, and logging all my performance testing.

(with my tongue in cheek) - so lets get this straight, your missus has just given birth to what i assume is your first child...

with money a bit tight, you have lobbed $550 at a big bore kit AND you think your missus will be as happy as a sandboy changing smelly nappies while you feck around in the garage fitting and photographing it ??

make sure you hide anything heavy that could be thrown at you in anger......Lol.....
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

The pcx models each have different valve springs. 125 springs and 150 springs are definetly different.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Dave, I don't know how much I can help, but if you need help at some point, just call me. Freddi and I can at least keep Maddie company .... And spoil your son. ;-)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

hatari wrote:
maddiedog wrote:I ordered about $550 worth of parts for my PCX yesterday:
With how expensive our newborn is.................,
I'll be doing two epic how-to's as a result -- how to completely dismantle a PCX, and how to install a big bore kit. This thread's to talk about the mods, logic behind choices I've made for parts, and logging all my performance testing.
(with my tongue in cheek) - so lets get this straight, your missus has just given birth to what i assume is your first child...
with money a bit tight, you have lobbed $550 at a big bore kit AND you think your missus will be as happy as a sandboy changing smelly nappies while you feck around in the garage fitting and photographing it ??
make sure you hide anything heavy that could be thrown at you in anger......Lol.....
LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm pretty sure that Dave sold a couple of spare bikes and is just making this one a little more suitable for the highway ... and it gives him a chance to spend some quality time with maddie so that jealously doesn't set in. ;) ;)
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
willajabir
Regular User
Regular User

Post by willajabir »

Maddie will probably be more dedicated to the baby than dad
Dave and the PCX may have more room in the dog house now......:lol: :lol: :lol:
Larry
2014 NSS300E born on 12/11/13
May the Forza be with you

my Forza pics: https://postimg.cc/gallery/Y9JWhsg
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

willajabir wrote:Maddie will probably be more dedicated to the baby than dad
Dave and the PCX may have more room in the dog house now......:lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol:
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

http://rzracing.nl/brands/yuminashi/pro ... -head.html

I found a yuminashi dealer but they are in holland. No worse than buying from japan though.
cocofredo

Post by cocofredo »

Hello I think pcxracing is selling them here in France.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

hatari wrote:with money a bit tight, you have lobbed $550 at a big bore kit AND you think your missus will be as happy as a sandboy changing smelly nappies while you feck around in the garage fitting and photographing it ??
Actually, this was her idea. If you read my first post again...
maddiedog wrote:With how expensive our newborn is, my wife suggested I drop down to only one bike, and I agreed with her. This should get the PCX up to highway-capable speeds, let me keep on enjoying the great ergonomics and light weight of the PCX, and allow my dog to keep riding with me.
I already sold the KTM ($1000), sold the Spree ($100), and sold the Nighthawk ($900). I lose the Nighthawk off insurance (-$15 a year), and don't have to pay tax / registration ($120 per year). Minus out the cost of the parts, and I'm still almost $1500 USD ahead of where I was a year ago with bikes, not counting insurance costs.

My wife's not the type to be angry or fussy about me tinkering around with the bike. She'll probably be in the garage with me, helping take pictures. I married my best friend -- she's awesome. ;)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

Going to hold off on the valve springs for now... I probably won't be riding the limiter, so it may be moot. Recall, I typically ride like grandma -- I won't be doing full power starts regularly or riding the limiter. I want to have power well below that for engine longevity, so it's more likely I'd look into another gear swap like Gearz suggested. I'm just as likely to get a larger back tire too...
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

maddiedog wrote:Going to hold off on the valve springs for now... I probably won't be riding the limiter, so it may be moot. Recall, I typically ride like grandma -- I won't be doing full power starts regularly or riding the limiter. I want to have power well below that for engine longevity, so it's more likely I'd look into another gear swap like Gearz suggested. I'm just as likely to get a larger back tire too...

Hmmm, not so sure I think I'd pop the springs in and give the valves a quick lap whilst I had the head off. Otherwise I'd just be thinking about it.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

you you wrote:
maddiedog wrote:Going to hold off on the valve springs for now... I probably won't be riding the limiter, so it may be moot. Recall, I typically ride like grandma -- I won't be doing full power starts regularly or riding the limiter. I want to have power well below that for engine longevity, so it's more likely I'd look into another gear swap like Gearz suggested. I'm just as likely to get a larger back tire too...

Hmmm, not so sure I think I'd pop the springs in and give the valves a quick lap whilst I had the head off. Otherwise I'd just be thinking about it.
I agree. If it's in bits anyway, it makes sense especially if a performance cam is being fitted.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Alibally wrote:
you you wrote:

I agree. If it's in bits anyway, it makes sense especially if a performance cam is being fitted.
Take it from me whos done it the hard way,you will take the head off regardless and to install the springs at that point is nothing much really,also great advice at lapping the valves and giving the ports bit of a clean is a must at that point.
You will be crazy thinking to save yourself saving $100 not getting the valves springs done....
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

I'll clean the ports and lap the valves if they need done while the head's out. My bike has less than 10k miles, unless the valves are pitted, I'm wasting my time. I won't know until I get it open, but I'm not exactly worried.

This is the problem with performance -- it's a can of worms. I may have just gotten by with just a bore kit and injector, and no cam. But, I decided to do the cam. The performance cam has less rapid valve movement than the stock cam (since both valves are open for a period of time), and I'm really not worried about it. While I'm at it, maybe I should get an exhaust, intake, and FI controller too. But then I'm looking at another $500. Where do I draw the line? I've drawn it at the valve springs.

Let's examine this:
1. I'm not increasing the rev range of my engine.
2. I'm only slightly increasing compression -- not nearly enough to make an appreciable difference.
3. Takegawa doesn't even make a valve spring kit with their highest-end performance upgrade kit.

When are valve spring upgrades needed?
1. More RPM.
2. Running boost or way higher than stock compression.
3. If the cam kit specifies it's needed.

I'm possible 1 for 3 out of the above (higher than stock compression). Now, if I had the Yumi cam that is sold in a pack with the valve springs, maybe I'd feel like I needed it. But I also wasn't willing to pay for a kit that's designed with that much balls-to-the-wall performance. I want a boost in speed and power -- enough to ride on the highway and be durable. Not a boost that will allow me to drag race 'busas for a couple thousand miles before I drop a valve into the engine from pegging the limiter too hard for too long. I doubt I'll ever ride at redline, and if I do, I'll probably look into even steeper gearing way before I even consider valve float.

I'm already over my budget. I was trying to keep it under $500, and I'm at $550. If I feel like I REALLY need them after the install, I'll save up a bit for em in a few months. It'd be good peace of mind anyways to strip the bike down and look at the top end after running the kit for a thousand miles or so, if I feel the need.
cocofredo

Post by cocofredo »

When are valve spring upgrades needed?
1. More RPM.

You could add :

4 . installing bigger valves . more weight=more force on springs.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

cocofredo wrote:When are valve spring upgrades needed?
1. More RPM.

You could add :

4 . installing bigger valves . more weight=more force on springs.
Or a larger piston in this case will exert more force on the stock springs making them i would say short of inadequate,especially at higher rpm where they will struggle to keep the valves closed thus losing power at higher rpms..
I would know,ive done them.
Kman2k

Post by Kman2k »

Hi! Maddiedog
I have the new 2014 PCX125 (led headlight), does the kit will fit with it ?
I thinking about buy the same kit as you (1 x [SP TAKEGAWA] S Stage Big bore Kit 170 cc (01-05-0064) )

Thanks for your help