Rattling sound

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Waltercito1947

Rattling sound

Post by Waltercito1947 »

Bought the scooter (PCX 125) in July last year; noticed that sometimes at idle, or when motoring slowly, I would head a rattling/vibrating sound that seemed to come from under the seat, towards the rear; I've checked everything well, and had two mechanics do the same, but found nothing.

Now that I've retired and moved to Colombia, and ride more, the sound has increased, sometimes being heard at speed.

Any thoughts or suggestions? As always, thanks for the help.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Rattling sound

Post by gn2 »

A good set of earplugs should sort that.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Flat spotted rollers in the variator can make that noise. Have you pulled the belt cover? There are 10 8mm bolts that hold it on.
Waltercito1947

Post by Waltercito1947 »

maddiedog, did you take note of reply from gn2?

Thanks, Mgalutia88; I have not done anything mechanical, myself; bought the scooter in July, did the 900 mi service at the dealer, and brought it to Colombia; haven't gotten past that, and washing/waxing it; I do have the Service Manual, and can look at that process...any tips or guidance on pulling that belt cover and checking all the bolts? (The Honda "dealer" here has never seen a PCX before, and my Manual is in English, so I'm a little reluctant to even take it to the shop.)
Ratster
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Ratster »

Waltercito1947 wrote:maddiedog, did you take note of reply from
Really? :lol:
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

Waltercito1947 wrote:maddiedog, did you take note of reply from gn2?

Thanks, Mgalutia88; I have not done anything mechanical, myself; bought the scooter in July, did the 900 mi service at the dealer, and brought it to Colombia; haven't gotten past that, and washing/waxing it; I do have the Service Manual, and can look at that process...any tips or guidance on pulling that belt cover and checking all the bolts? (The Honda "dealer" here has never seen a PCX before, and my Manual is in English, so I'm a little reluctant to even take it to the shop.)
Really? Are you trying to start something with the helpful members of this board? Gn2 actually didn't do anything this time(lol gn2 I'm just messing with you). On your other thread you were attacking dasshreader which is a poor move
ImageImage
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Waltercito1947, do you have access to an impact gun? You need a shallow 8mm socket and an extension to take off your belt cover just below the air filter housing. There is no liquid here or any parts to jump out at you. There are ten bolts on the cover. The two longest are in the middle, the four middle length are in the rear half of the cover and the four shortest bolts to in the front half. The two front most bolts you do without an extension. Just reach in behind your rear peg and you'll break the bolts lose.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Walter, relax. It will take a bit of time to fall into the fold. No one means any harm here (and IF they did, I'm sure maddiedog will handle them accordingly). We all have to keep in mind that we come from all over the globe and have many personalities. We will clash now and then. Laugh it off, ignore it move on. We have choices, we are not one on one and face to face. So, walk away If you're bothered. You can always PM maddiedog as well.
Just give it some time, We're all still learning. Have fun doing it! Seriously? I chuckle everyday here :D
So....Come on back! Mgalutia's got a plan for ya! ;)

P.S. Me, meself and I wear earplugs every ride over 20mpg. My choice, & best choice for me. Noise level down and my ears safe n sound. That's all that counts. Cheers!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

gn2, could that rattle sound be the tag plate chattering? Or some other dumb bit(s)?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I don't see anything wrong with gn2's response. He's terse, but likely right -- the noise is probably nothing if two mechanics have said it's okay.

Some rattling from the drivetrain is normal, simply due to how the clutch engages on the PCX. The variator has a bit of a gap around the belt, and sometimes it vibrates on engagement (I know mine does!). A lot of rattling can indicate worn rollers or a clutch going bad -- troubleshooting both of the issues is slightly advanced and requires a variator tool, clutch press, and/or an impact gun.

If your mechanic says it's ok, I'd keep riding on. Regardless -- does the noise occur at a specific speed, or only during acceleration?
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Plastic scooters rattle.
Its a fact of life.
You'll drive yourself mental trying to eliminate all the rattles.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
stryder123
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 forza

Post by stryder123 »

I have a pcx150 and at a certain rpm the plastics in the dash give a buzzing sound. Hard to keep all the bits from vibrating.
willajabir
Regular User
Regular User

Post by willajabir »

gn2 wrote:Plastic scooters rattle.
Its a fact of life.
You'll drive yourself mental trying to eliminate all the rattles.
Nope, you can not drive there!!!! By air or water only. :lol:
http://goo.gl/FjlcXV
Larry
2014 NSS300E born on 12/11/13
May the Forza be with you

my Forza pics: https://postimg.cc/gallery/Y9JWhsg
hatari
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hatari »

my opinion.....

get your garage to open the drive belt cover and using compressed air, blow out the dust / shite from inside the casing.......

get the garage to check the wear on the drive belt....if the scooter has done over 7,500 miles, i'd change it anyway...

while your at it i'd change the air filter, spark plug and oil....

hopefully it will feel like a new bike.........