Temp Light comes on

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

olliejaylewis

Temp Light comes on

Post by olliejaylewis »

Hi,

I have a 1 1/2 year old PCX and decided to give it a mini service.
Followed the manual by checking everything, did a oil change by undoing the little screw right under the bottom of the bike, checked and cleaned the filter on the side.
Got a little confused as the oil was quite dark that came out the filter, yet the oil coming from the little screw on the bottom was quite 'fresh' looking and light.
Topped up the coolant as it was at the lower mark and that's about it.
Obviously replaced the oil with fresh, followed the manual and checked the level is ok, which it is.
Water level is at the upper in the tank in the seat.

Problem is when I ride it now, after about 15 mins the red temp warning light comes on and im not sure why.
There is plenty of coolant in the tank, i used proper 50/50 premixed (not tap water or anything silly).

Any ideas out there?
Don't really fancy like taking to the dealer and shelling out a small fortune for something simple!
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Re: Temp Light comes on

Post by Alibally »

I am presuming you drained the engine and not the final drive oil? That would explain the colour difference. You might be better to double check as the the final drive could be damaged with no oil in it.
olliejaylewis

Post by olliejaylewis »

OMG im such a dufus!

I was working on the left hand side of the bike so must have mistaken the drive oil drain bolt for the engine oil drain bolt!

I just did some checking and the drive oil was empty so now filled it back up again.

My only worry is if its caused any damage!

I only done about four trips of around 5 to 10 mins in length, what are the chances of damage?
Also what happens when you do run with no drive oil?

Cheers for all your help, its probably saved me a massive repair bill (hopefully!)
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

All you can do it try it. It might be an idea to change the oil again in the final drive incase there is any debris in there. Leave the drain plug out and flush some oil in there and let it drain out into clean container. Put the drain plug back in and refill it to the correct level. If there is any chunks of metal in the container you might be better stripping it and checking. You don't want it to seize out on the road as if the back wheel locks it could chuck you off the bike.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Make sure your drive oil is full, go for a long ride and change it again(hopefully it will be clean).

So riding without drive oil is what made your temp light go on :? ? If so that is a good tip for others, I did not know that could happen.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

Alibally wrote:I am presuming you drained the engine and not the final drive oil? That would explain the colour difference. You might be better to double check as the the final drive could be damaged with no oil in it.

Nice one :ugeek:
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
olliejaylewis

Post by olliejaylewis »

Cheers guys for all the help.

I feel like an idiot.
This is my first bike in 13 years so a very steep learning curve!

The only other thing I did was top up the coolant level and change the engine oil - checked both again this morning and they are both at the proper levels so can only assume the temp light coming on was related the the lack of drive oil.

I will monitor it and keep you informed - hopefully it wont come on again!

Cheers
sleepnot

Post by sleepnot »

Could someone post a simple how-to about changing/checking the final drive oil please? :? I don't think it exists yet?

Or is it that easy? But where does ik come out, where does it go in, how much, and how to check the level?
I managed to check the valves but have no idea how to do this :oops:
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

sleepnot wrote:Could someone post a simple how-to about changing/checking the final drive oil please? :? I don't think it exists yet?
Here ya go.

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab26 ... 799cce.jpg
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
sleepnot

Post by sleepnot »

Thanks!
It's a second hand 2,5 year old scooter with 7000 km and rather doubtful maintenance record so I will replace it anyway
olliejaylewis

Post by olliejaylewis »

well just as an update the temp light still comes on after 10 mins of riding!
I really don't kno what could be causing it as the radiator isn't even that hot after just 10 mins.
I have triple checked oil and coolant levels - all are spot on,
I have sorted the drive oil out so fingers crossed no damage done there!
anyone have any ideas cos I can't think of anything I could have done that would suddenly trigger high temps?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

But the final drive oil drain is nowhere near the sump plug....
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Excessive heat wil either be lack of oil or a cooling system defect.
Take it to a dealer and have them look at it for you.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Didn't realise there was a temperature light. It doesn't double as a fault code indicator does it?
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Is the coolant full in the radiator? (not the overflow bottle).
olliejaylewis

Post by olliejaylewis »

I think i may have worked out what I have done!

The bolt I removed and drained was slap bang centre under the bike, with a silver head, literally next to a rubber hose.
Since its next to a rubber hose this would indicate connected to the coolant system, so i would assume I have drained some coolant out.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/708 ... .48.58.jpg

I topped up the tank under the seat and its stayed at the higher mark (as per the bike manual) but i am assuming as dasshreddar has pointed out I may have drained the radiator.
I would have thought the tank under the seat would then have drained into the radiator if there was no/low coolant in there!

I shall top up now via radiator cap and let you all know if its cured!
frog13
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: white

Post by frog13 »

So , what was the conclusion on this . Yes , I'm aware of the time frame .
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

olliejaylewis wrote:I think i may have worked out what I have done!
The bolt I removed and drained was slap bang centre under the bike, with a silver head, literally next to a rubber hose.
Since its next to a rubber hose this would indicate connected to the coolant system, so i would assume I have drained some coolant out.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/708 ... .48.58.jpg
I topped up the tank under the seat and its stayed at the higher mark (as per the bike manual) but i am assuming as dasshreddar has pointed out I may have drained the radiator.
I would have thought the tank under the seat would then have drained into the radiator if there was no/low coolant in there!
I shall top up now via radiator cap and let you all know if its cured!
I have no coolant (or very little) in the reservoir as it's about an inch below the low!, but no high temp light ever and the bike rides fine. I'm taking it to a dealer next week, but this seems to suggest what one dealer advised on the phone - if the high temp light does not light then the main cooling system is ok, but the reservoir part is the problem - strange, because as you say the point of that is to drain into the main cooling system if needed - or so we thought.
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

[/quote]I have no coolant (or very little) in the reservoir as it's about an inch below the low!, but no high temp light ever and the bike rides fine. I'm taking it to a dealer next week, but this seems to suggest what one dealer advised on the phone - if the high temp light does not light then the main cooling system is ok, but the reservoir part is the problem - strange, because as you say the point of that is to drain into the main cooling system if needed - or so we thought.[/quote]

From a post of mine a while back:
The coolant expands as it gets hot and the radiator cap vents the excess volume to the overflow tank via that rubber line that runs from the radiator neck to the bottom of the tank. Once the motor is stopped and cools down, the coolant volume in the system shrinks and what was excess coolant vented to the tank is now drawn back into the radiator via that same rubber line. This process keeps the radiator(and the system) full throughout the entire heat cycle (cold to hot to cold)
Any clearer?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

There is need to bleed the air from the coolant tank following this procedure. Not sure if failing to bleed air in the coolant system would trigger a temp light but do it by the book anyway. What it doesn't say is if you run engine and snap throttle with the cap on or off :lol: The SM assumes some common sense.
Attachments
system bleed.JPG
system bleed.JPG (198.94 KiB) Viewed 5566 times