Breaking In !

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

puppies

Breaking In !

Post by puppies »

Hi Everyone,

Are Proud and excited new member to the PCX family, just bought my first bike yesterday !
Researching my purchase for the past month, was finally about to convince the wife that the PCX versus of Vespa was the best gig going. Living the heat of the city are anxious to ditch the car, subways etc, for my new ride.

Between a 'Drive it like you stole it' or 'Drive it like your grand-ma' approach, are seeing various options on-line; can anyone tell me what has succeed for them in breaking-in their new ride ?

Looking forward to any response, thanks in advance.
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Breaking In !

Post by CaptnJim »

I'd go with what it says in the owners' manual... as I recall, no hard driving for the first 300 miles, vary your speed (don't drive one speed for an extended time).

Since it's your first bike, I'd suggest take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course, wear the proper gear, and go easy on yourself and the bike as you learn. Statistically, you are more likely to have an accident (new rider, a rider on a new or borrowed motorcycle)... don't be a statistic.

When you've had some time with the bike, then ride it like you stole it.

Mostly: have fun, ride safe.

Congrats on the new bike!

Captain Jim
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

Just do what they recommend in the user's handbook. Easy on the throttle for the first 500 km. Then change the oil at 1000 km. That's the single most important thing to do.
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

Vary speeds, like the others said, no wide open or long stretches of high speeds, I would go 25-30, up to 40-45, then back down again, you don't have to "baby" it, just be smart. Once you reach 600 miles, take it in for service. Let the dealer do the 1st one, very important.
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
gokidd
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gokidd »

I only have 300 miles on mine at present.
I've been using the "Ride it like you don't want to get squished by traffic" method.
It is GREAT fun ... congratulations on your purchase!
Let us boogie ...
Honda PCX 150
Yamaha Majesty 400
puppies

Post by puppies »

Hi Guys -Thanks for being my better conscience.
Will make good on all the advice, though honestly 300 miles seems like an eternity.
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

To be honest I just drove mine like I had owned it forever. Then again, I dont go on long trips much or anything. Mostly commuting to and from work and errands and stuff. I completed my my break in miles about a week ago and did my first service myself. When the valve clearences need to be checked I will have the dealer do it. I did take time to check every nut and bolt to make sure nothing had loosened up after 600 miles along with the oil change and filter cleaning.