Trunk width question

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Trunk width question

Post by dustin91 »

Hey guys, I'm looking to add a trunk and I'm trying to get an idea as to what size to get. I like the idea of a single-key system with the Honda, but I don't like the styling at all, so I'm looking at Givi's instead. Their Monolock series runs from 15" to about 22.5". At what point do you all think it's just too wide for the look? Even *I'm* only 19-20" wide at the shoulders... should that be my max? I don't want it to look too top heavy. Any opinions?

thanks!
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Re: Trunk width question

Post by dasshreddar »

go as wide as you want, probably not any wider the handlebars.
the stock handlebars are about 26/27" wide I think.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

A 30 litre one is ideal.
Big ones just look daft.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

dustin91 wrote:Hey guys, I'm looking to add a trunk and I'm trying to get an idea as to what size to get. I like the idea of a single-key system with the Honda, but I don't like the styling at all, so I'm looking at Givi's instead. Their Monolock series runs from 15" to about 22.5". At what point do you all think it's just too wide for the look? Even *I'm* only 19-20" wide at the shoulders... should that be my max? I don't want it to look too top heavy. Any opinions?

thanks!

It's a scooter get a topbox if you want one
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

I have the E470, which may be the largest monolock box. Pictures don't do it justice because they make it look bigger than it is (thanks to my lack of photography skills), but in my opinion (and others who have seen it) it doesn't look daft as some might think. It is not wider than the handle bars, so you should be good to go, particularly in the US where it is not acceptable to weave in and out of traffic. Here in Bangkok, weaving out of traffic is the rule of thumb, particularly when vehicles are stopped for a red light. By the time the light changes, there are often 30-40 biked grouped in a bunch, in front of the cars. I took a video of bikes weaving between the stopped vehicles last week. I might post it in the next couple of weeks when I get a chance. Anyway ... I have never had a problem weaving in and out of traffic with the box on. As well, maybe you can take your PCX to the GIVI dealer and just have someone hold one in place so that you can get an idea of what it will look like and you make your own call on it.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

Thanks for the advice Kram! I've been traveling to China for about 13-14 years and remember the days when the streets were filled mostly with scooters and mopeds... now it's all cars, but the lights change and everyone is all doing the same thing as in Thailand. I'm looking now at a Givi B33 Monolock, which is about 17.5" wide, but my dealer doesn't stock anything. I'm thinking that maybe I'll just have him install the plate, and then I'll order the box from somewhere that'll let me return it if it doesn't fit my needs, or looks to big, etc. I'd rather give him the business, but if I only get one shot to get it right with him, I'll go elsewhere. But if you could post any pics of it, it'd be much appreciated!

Also, I'd love to see that video from Thailand! :lol:
That Guy

Post by That Guy »

My first couple of days in Taipei I thought there were roving scooter gangs until I realized they were all just bunching up at the intersections during those extended long red lights. "They screamed out their freedom when the light turned green" only to be caught and passed by the even more crazy cab drivers and 3/4 scale mini trucks. Then at the next intersection it all began again...
DeoSan

Post by DeoSan »

I have the E30N installed on mine. Here's a picture that may help on your decision.
Attachments
GIVI box.jpg
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

Lookin' good! I went with the Givi E33, and get my scooter tomorrow with it installed.
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

Um, B33... not E.