Torque Wrench

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Lecompte
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Torque Wrench

Post by Lecompte »

Getting ready to change my oil for the first time. The photos in the How To section are very helpful.
Here's my question: is it really necessary to torque the bolts for the drain plug and the filter plug?
I have been changing oil in my vehicles for years and do not own a torque wrench.
Just wondering.

Lecompte
2011 PCX 125
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Torque Wrench

Post by you you »

Lecompte wrote:Getting ready to change my oil for the first time. The photos in the How To section are very helpful.
Here's my question: is it really necessary to torque the bolts for the drain plug and the filter plug?
I have been changing oil in my vehicles for years and do not own a torque wrench.
Just wondering.

Lecompte
2011 PCX 125
Theoretically its better to use a torque wrench

But it's not necessary if you've been changing oil for years
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

I just completed my first oil change yesterday and did not use one. Just dont over tighten things to the point of breaking them. The filter nut should be snug tight, remember there is an oring that seals it. Over tightening will cut of flatten the oring and can cause premature leaking.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I may sound :? dummy, but could someone please give us a "how to" in the "How To" forum on setting & using a torque wrench? I've gone without using one, but recently bought one (on sale at Harborfreight). The thing just confuses me. I have a shop manual and using a torque wrench is mentioned throughout, so I'm gathering it's necessary for lotsa fixes. I know I would appreciate the lesson, perhaps others will too? :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

I'm not sure this rates as a how-to, but you might try finding a lag screw (1/4", 5/16", whatever...) and a bit of 2x4 wood. Drill a smallish pilot hole maybe an inch or so deep and insert the lag screw. Fix the appropriate socket onto your torque wrench, and start the screw. Set the torque wrench at a low-torque setting, most likely by screwing some sleeve sort of thing up or down. Now work the screw into the wood. At some point, the wrench will "click". You can keep tightening if you want, but you have reached the desired torque. Reset the wrench for maybe another 10 ft-pounds (or newtons) and repeat. You will pretty quickly get the feel for when the correct torque has been reached.

I apologize in advance to my non-US friends here. We tend to be pretty provincial with our units....
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:I may sound :? dummy, but could someone please give us a "how to" in the "How To" forum on setting & using a torque wrench? I've gone without using one, but recently bought one (on sale at Harborfreight). The thing just confuses me. I have a shop manual and using a torque wrench is mentioned throughout, so I'm gathering it's necessary for lotsa fixes. I know I would appreciate the lesson, perhaps others will too? :P
What type of torque wrench is it?

Didn't it come with a manual?
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

I can't really advise on whether or not to use one but i can say that, having recently changed the oil using my torque wrench, had i not used it i would have definitely over tightened both bolts. The established torque values in the service manual are much less than i would have expected.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

youyou, Click type. Directions not good nuff, confusing me (easy to do :P )
Fussy tool I'm told and not that accurate? Store boys not up on this one. But, I got one anyway and thought an expert could guide me should I torque it next oil change. Wowie, you could really hurt someone with this thing, no featherweight. Think I'll put it in my car.....If we don't get along ;)
Thanks GeorgeSK for the practice idea and cessna for your input. CheapRide I share those thoughts, I also keep several crush washers around, Honda gave me a few (parts dept) when we chatted about oil changes. Nice guy he was.
Maybe youtube will have a flick on setting this clicker. :geek:
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:youyou, Click type. Directions not good nuff, confusing me (easy to do :P )
Fussy tool I'm told and not that accurate? Store boys not up on this one. But, I got one anyway and thought an expert could guide me should I torque it next oil change. Wowie, you could really hurt someone with this thing, no featherweight. Think I'll put it in my car.....If we don't get along ;)
Thanks GeorgeSK for the practice idea and cessna for your input. CheapRide I share those thoughts, I also keep several crush washers around, Honda gave me a few (parts dept) when we chatted about oil changes. Nice guy he was.
Maybe youtube will have a flick on setting this clicker. :geek:
If it's a click type its a pretty simple thing. Set it to the torque required and it clicks when you reach it

It's pretty idiot proof
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The problem with the idiot proof concept is that nature just keeps producing worse idiots.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Okay. I do get the set/click idea. Just asking.
In the U.S. our largest chains of home improvement stores have tool demonstrations and offer classes using them. The demo introduces the tool and how it operates, helps sales and improves customer appreciation. Not everyone is tool savvy. I credit myself to be fairly good thanks to my Dad. I watched him helped him, and now know what I know because of him. I never saw him use/handle a torque wrench like the one I now have in my toolbox. I shall learn :P Thanks ya'll