Adding Honda or Givi trunk on my own?

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Adding Honda or Givi trunk on my own?

Post by dustin91 »

Hi all, pardon if this has been answered previously, but is the installation of the rear base mount and a trunk – be it Honda or Givi - easy enough to do on your own? Do you have to drill into the rear of the scooter, or is the mount more like a clamp?

I'm already interested in getting one, but would like to do it on my own if I can. If it comes down to drilling into the body though, I'll defer to my dealer.

Thanks!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Adding Honda or Givi trunk on my own?

Post by gn2 »

The plastic tailpiece has to be drilled.
Not easy to get it 100% perfect.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

It is not the hard, but yes you have to drill into the body. Here is an excellent link to another thread from the How To section that will walk you through it step by step.

http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=947
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

After marking the center of the hole locations and drilling small pilot holes, I used a step drill to finish the holes for the Givi mounting bracket. The step drill worked perfectly to get to the proper size hole and it also deburred each hole as it was drilling. This method also allows you to do test fitting as the holes grow larger.

Don
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

Thanks for the link – figured there was already a how-to process here. Looks *just* hard enough to let my dealer do it!
Pedro-agogo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Pedro-agogo »

Yeah, I did not have the confidence (or the tools) to attempt this so this was one thing I decided to let the dealership do. 8) 8) 8) Got it this week and I am really happy with it. :D I have owned two scooters before (still have my 2nd Honda Lead 100c) and always have a top box and actually included this week's cost in my initial purchase price because it was non-negotiable for me. :) :) I also picked up my new windshield and installed it myself thanks to maddiedog's instructions and I am done for now with my mods; new seat, givi bag, clock, top box, wind shield.
top box.jpg
top box.jpg (145.78 KiB) Viewed 1959 times
windshield2.jpg
windshield2.jpg (123.36 KiB) Viewed 1959 times
Attachments
complete.jpg
complete.jpg (123.3 KiB) Viewed 1959 times
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

Looks great Pedro! Just curious... why the Honda case versus a Givi, which seems to be what I see more often here on the threads. Any particular reason?

And do you find the windshield helps any? I haven't felt like I've needed one yet, but I've only got 100 miles on it so far.

Oh, and how about a pic of the clock? :) I didn't think I'd want or need one until yesterday, and happen to be looking at some now. I want one that clamps on the handlebars, which appear to be 7/8", not a full 1 inch diameter.

Thanks!
Pedro-agogo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Pedro-agogo »

It has taken me a while to get this pic just right to upload as it was too big. I am doing this on my ipad in bed :geek: :geek: :geek: (its late Sat night here in Oz on the West Coast 12 hours ahead of the US East Coast). I am so happy to at last have a clock and yesterday when I was heading to a meeting I looked down and saw I was 10 mins early so did a lap around town. :D

Btw- the Honda box is a givi. They just stick their badge on and mark the price up. Yes the windshield makes a big diff on the highway as my large size can bevome a sail. But like others I get the wind on my helmet and its loud. I think my clock is the size you want.

image.jpg
image.jpg (319.79 KiB) Viewed 1930 times
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Here is an inexpensive option. I picked it up at an AutoZone in the US for about $4 and have seen identical ones here in Thailand for even less. I mounted it to the instrument panel with double sided tape. The clock comes out of the holder to put away so that it doesn't get tampered with or stolen, and to change the battery.
Attachments
2013-07-08 14.35.44 Crop_800x600.jpg
2013-07-08 14.35.44 Crop_800x600.jpg (72.05 KiB) Viewed 1921 times
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

Pedro, that's a great looking clock, but unfortunately for me that's exactly where my RAM mount is to hold my phone for GPS use. I'm thinking an adhesive one might be the way I have to go. Also, thanks for advising the Honda is a Givi... that's probably what all go with - I really don't trust putting much under the seat because it's just so oddly shaped.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

It took me about 20-30 minutes to put my top box on, thanks to maddiedog's instructions. It isn't as hard as it looks. Once you pull the back plastic off you can see the outline of the holes on the underside of it. I can't even remember what the name of the drill bit was that I used but after drilling a pilot hole it was a simple task of centering the drill bit and using the variable drill to make the holes. There are 4 holes. If the holes are drilled where the outlines are, everything should fit.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Pedro-agogo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Pedro-agogo »

I think Mark's stick on clock looks great and I would be happy with that. Take note of Mel's hi-vis vest as I also wear one of these as do many bike riders in my area and they really make you stand out. :o o_O o_O :o I just tried not wearing one for the first time in 6 years and did not like the feeling at all. I felt like I was putting image 8) before safety :ugeek: and while I dont look cool in it the good thing is I dont have to look at me- not my problem! :lol: :lol: :lol: I take mine off & put it in my pocket when I am walking around in my jacket. Even big tuff harley riders wear 'em!
GMax

Post by GMax »

Pedro-agogo wrote:
windshield2.jpg
Tell me more about the windshield.
How it behaves at different speeds?