How do you haul your scooters?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

ASUndevil42

How do you haul your scooters?

Post by ASUndevil42 »

So I was wondering what the simplest, least expensive method you all have come across for hauling your bikes? I have a Toyota 4runner and was considering something like this http://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb-rec ... 99721.html. Have you all had experience with haulers such as this or are there any others that you prefer?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: How do you haul your scooters?

Post by gn2 »

If I need to get my scooter somewhere, I ride it there.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

We used to own Ruckus 50 Scooters and "sometimes" trailered Them long distances, although we took up to 300+ mile per day "grueling" Trips on Them. Same for a pair of Elite 110s. Once we purchased PCX125s, and later, PCX150s we have never Trailered again. They are so competent and comfortable on Road Trips there is no need.

But, if You insist, Yes, that particular Hauler can be put into use. I have a Friend here that uses His "Harbor Hauler" for His PCX125. He just got back from a Smokies Trip last weekend using His. We coincidentally passed Him on Our PCX150s up on Twisty Hwy 30 last weekend as He and Us were returning Home... :D We had ridden to Crossville, Tennessee that day. If You "must" haul instead of ride, apparently it will work for You. He hauled His to Arizona back in the Spring..... ;)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

My answer is probably not the most professional but it worked for us. We live in Pa. We took my scooter to Fla. last winter. We hauled it on a small trailer in back of the truck camper. First thing we did was to buy new tires for the trailer as the last thing we needed was a dry rot blow out. My husband also made a "guide line" piece of wood with red ends so he could see each side of the trailer. We then secured the scooter with Canyon Dancers, scooter tie downs that fit over the handle bars and over the front. There is a lot of plastic and not as easy to secure to the trailer as a motorcycle. I lost a mirror on the way due to all the vibration and had to tighten up windshield etc. On the way down, I saw a bike on a trailer and covered at a campground. The cover was stretchy and molded for the bike. I need to look into something like that as it seemed that this type of cover would help take the shocks of the ride and the trailer pounding up and down.
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

An enclosed FeatherLite cargo trailer, behind the RV. Room for tools and bike gear, too. And kayaks.

His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

I'm with gn2 on this one. There aren't many people on this side of the pond who buy a motorcycle then transport it everywhere in/on the back of a truck etc. unless they are race bikes or very small scoots for running about a caravan park. I buy a bike to ride it everywhere.

Bill
Image[/URL
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:If I need to get my scooter somewhere, I ride it there.

True. I take my bike all the way to Iceland a couple of times a month with no worries
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

the easiest way to haul your scooter in a 4-runner is take the back seat out, take off your mirrors and angle it in there.
you might have to loosen or disconnect the handlebars to fit.
if you have a 84-89 8) 4-runner just pop the top and put it in the back. (tailgate down with/without seat?)
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

If you feel like treating your scoot as luggage, get yourself this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Motocompo
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

khaosaming wrote:If you feel like treating your scoot as luggage, get yourself this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Motocompo

Nice! :roll: The Motocompo has been out of production for over 25 years.

You shouldn't tease people like that.
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I have a utility trailer that I haul on, but that's way overkill most of the time. I generally use a hitch hauler like yours if I'm taking the car somewhere and want to bring the PCX (for example, on vacation where taking the PCX on the highway isn't an option).

This thread is VERY relevant to your interests: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=319

The hauler you linked to will work great.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

Slickvic wrote:The Motocompo has been out of production for over 25 years.
--------------
It might come back one of these days.

http://future-motorcycles.com/2012-hond ... flN2eF3Q5Y
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
Shoe
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Shoe »

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/ ... rrier.aspx

it's served me well. Solid!

To the Keys, Tennesse twice, the only issue I have that the ramp is too short for my application. In most cases I need a curb or stepping stone to load it. My Denali HD sits much higher than most Crossovers. The PCX ground clearance is quite minimal and hangs up.
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

Here is the exact hauler you mention attached to my 4runner. It works great! It has some minor flaws but it's the only reasonably priced aluminum carrier i could find. I wrote up a full review on the harbor freight website which is just a few from the top if you sort by newest first.

pcxcarrier.jpg
pcxcarrier.jpg (126.27 KiB) Viewed 3811 times
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

dasshreddar wrote:the easiest way to haul your scooter in a 4-runner is take the back seat out, take off your mirrors and angle it in there.
you might have to loosen or disconnect the handlebars to fit.
if you have a 84-89 8) 4-runner just pop the top and put it in the back. (tailgate down with/without seat?)
I tried for 3 hours to get my pcx in the back of my 4runner. It will NOT fit without removing lots of parts.
ASUndevil42

Post by ASUndevil42 »

Thanks everyone for your input. Thanks especially cessna151, that's exactly what I was looking for. Looks like it's going to work great.