Just joined. Need info about mounting a trunk to my PCX 125.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

LehmanPhotography

Just joined. Need info about mounting a trunk to my PCX 125.

Post by LehmanPhotography »

Want to find the best option for mounting a trunk to my '11 PCX125. I'm professional photographer and need a VERY secure trunk and a strong mount. Ideas and suggestions?
Attachments
1307 HondaPCX.GL_0081e.jpg
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Just joined. Need info about mounting a trunk to my PCX

Post by skuuter »

I use GIVI Cases and Mounts. I carry Cameras and Other gear all the time and have never had any kind of issue. My PCX150 has a 45 Liter Monolock Type (E-450N), my Wife's has a 30 Liter Monolock Type (E-30N) with E-231 Mounting Kits (Same Numbers fit the PCX125).....

I've used GIVI System Cases on dozens of Motorcycles and Scooters for over 12 years.....Great, Dependable Products..... 8)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

Agreed, you won't go far wrong with Givi

Bill
Image[/URL
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

8) pic, you must be a pro... not so sure about the bird poo on the PCX :lol:
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Great pic. Being that you are a photographer, I hope that will be able to see more of you great PCX shots being posted.

Regarding the box/trunk, I agree with Skuuter, GIVI is a good solid box. I went with a 470 Monolock. It has a brake light in the lid.

Will you be installing the box/trunk yourself, or getting someone else to? If you are doing it yourself, I have some good pictures of mine being installed at a shop. The guy let me stand there and take pictures.

Here is what the finished product looks like.
PCX 005 B_800x600.jpg
PCX 005 B_800x600.jpg (70.79 KiB) Viewed 2614 times
PCX 007 B_800x600.jpg
PCX 007 B_800x600.jpg (71.67 KiB) Viewed 2614 times
PCX 012 A_800x600.jpg
PCX 012 A_800x600.jpg (69.55 KiB) Viewed 2614 times
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
kim

Post by kim »

LehmanPhotography wrote:Want to find the best option for mounting a trunk to my '11 PCX125. I'm professional photographer and need a VERY secure trunk and a strong mount. Ideas and suggestions?

What do you think? Is a joke

I recommend the GIVI or SHAD

If you want to put away the camera
Pelican Bags will be the best
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

LehmanPhotography wrote:Want to find the best option for mounting a trunk...
----------------
Honda's OEM trunk base is the best option in your case. You can mount Honda's own box on top of it, or any Givi with an adapter plate.

Check this thread out:

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1221

Image courtesy of Former50cc:
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
HSF
Year: 2013 PCX125esp
Color: Red

Post by HSF »

LehmanPhotography wrote:Want to find the best option for mounting a trunk to my '11 PCX125.
LehmanPhotography

Post by LehmanPhotography »

You guys are great thanks for the info.
Scuuter, I was sold on the Givi trunks but wasn't sure about the mounts.
Would love some pics kramnala58, as I will mount it myself.
HSF - funny, funny!
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

LehmanPhotography wrote: was sold on the Givi trunks but wasn't sure about the mounts.
Would love some pics...
--------------
All you need is here: a how-to by PCX Commuter. The Givi mount is not sturdy -- the brackets are small and the base is plastic. Go for the OEM trunk base. On top of that, install a Givi trunk (or top case).

Givi mount (pic courtesy of PCX Commuter):

skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

I beg to differ about the GIVI Mounts not being strong. I've carried many, many pounds (way past recommended weights) of Gear in my 45 ltr Case on extended Trips, and even shopping. My PCX125 had over 10,000+ miles on it, the PCX150 has 3000+ on it now, most with loaded Cases. In all of my 12+ years of using GIVI Mounts and Cases and thousands of miles of loaded Trips on Motorcycles and Scooters, I've never had a failure of a Mount, Mounting Plate, or Case. GIVI does some really Great Product Design before putting Anything into Production. Due to hundreds of thousands of miles of personal use, I still recommend GIVI Mounts and Cases..... ;) 8)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

The Givi mounts, brackets and adapter plates are perfectly OK for casual leisure use. Honda's own trunk base is all metal and heavy duty. The OP asked for something to endure and withstand professional use. So, I don't really see a point in recommending stuff that's not half as strong.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

LehmanPhotography wrote:Would love some pics kramnala58, as I will mount it myself.
Follow the link posted by khaosaming ... it is an excellent how-to. A couple of things I would add ...

1) If you don't have the full sized drill bit such as the one shown in the how-to, you can use a tapered (cone shaped) grind stone that can be used with a hand drill. The guy who installed mine did that. He drilled the small pilot hole first and then used a drill bit that was large enough for the tip of the grind stone to fit in and enlarge the holes from there with the grind stone. As well, as the how-to showed, the initial hole needs to be drilled from the underside of the plastic molding so that you know you are centered, but all other drilling (grinding) is best to be done from the top/finished side so as to minimize chipping on the exposed/visible edges of the hole.

2) I fully agree with Skutter regarding the GIVI base. No disrespect khaosaming, but what is the different between 'professional' and what Skutter described? I think his use qualifies as more than casual leisure. On top of that, in the installation link you posted the Honda base may have been used, but the GIVI base still got attached to it. Something is only as strong as its weakest point. Thus, if the GIVI base is used on either the Honda base or the pair of brackets in the other picture, there is no difference. Regarding the Honda base as compared to the pair of brackets shown, I would contend that the pair of brackets is just as strong, if not stronger than the cast Honda base. I had my box installed with the pair of brackets and it is just fine.
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

kramnala58 wrote:On top of that, in the installation link you posted the Honda base may have been used, but the GIVI base still got attached to it. Something is only as strong as its weakest point.
--------------
There's no need to use any adapter plate. The OEM trunk base has all it takes to mount a Honda branded top case.

http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1221

Honda OEM top box fits directly:
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

khaosaming wrote:
kramnala58 wrote:On top of that, in the installation link you posted the Honda base may have been used, but the GIVI base still got attached to it. Something is only as strong as its weakest point.
--------------
There's no need to use any adapter plate. The OEM trunk base has all it takes to mount a Honda branded top case.

http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1221

Honda OEM top box fits directly:
Point noted, but my comments were related to installing a GIVI box, which IMO is the better choice if for no other reason than there are more boxes to choose from.
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

kramnala58 wrote:
Point noted, but my comments were related to installing a GIVI box, which IMO is the better choice if for no other reason than there are more boxes to choose from.

Yep, and the GIVI Cases will outlast the Honda Cases...I've used both (Had OEM on an Intercepter VFR800, and on an ST1300), and after a few thousand miles of useage, opening and closing the Cases, the Latches broke, and on the VFR the hinge wore and got loose. GIVI Cases are much better made than the Honda Cases, Cost Less, and More Sizes and Shapes are available. "Most" Honda Cases are built by GIVI to Honda's Specs.

...and to address "Professional", I "might" qualify at 44 Years of riding. My least mileage was my first year riding...14,000+ miles, averaging around 30,000 every year there after. Most miles in a single year was 2009 with 42,900 logged. I also take Tennessee and Smoky Mountain Scenery Photos as a "Hobby", but have sold some along to the U.S. Park Service for Calendars, some to Other Calendar Companies. I carry Cameras also, along with Lap Tops, etc. ...have no worries about my GIVI breaking and dumping a few thousand dollars worth of equipment. I have NEVER broke a Case or Mount from GIVI...I just sold a Mounting Plate and Case in April that dates back to 2004 with thousands of miles on Them and installed over and over on dozens of Motorcycles and 3 Silver Wings...!!!

Maybe if I become a "Professional", I'll upgrade to better equipment, but for now, I prefer GIVI..... :lol: :D :lol: :D
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

The best and strongest solution would be Honda's all metal OEM trunk base and a Givi Monokey top box with a Monokey adapter plate drilled and fastened with bolts. Givi's monolock line is for small errands and leisure (scooter) use. I would go for TRekker cases if I had expensive equipment to carry around.
The MonoKey series are actually the top of the line series with a more substantial mount, more features, and better quality construction. MonoKey mounts are sold separately.
http://www.giviluggage.co/givi-luggage- ... echnology/
The OP's first words:
Want to find the best option for mounting a trunk to my '11 PCX125. I'm professional photographer and need a VERY secure trunk and a strong mount.
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

I don't have a topbox on my PCX... but, I did spend 32 years in the photography business. Would you be from Riverton, WY?

Givi makes good stuff (additional 2¢ worth).
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

CaptnJim wrote:I don't have a topbox on my PCX... but, I did spend 32 years in the photography business. Would you be from Riverton, WY?

Yep, didn't become the Industry Leader without an Excellent Product.....I've been testing Their Products under extremely severe conditions, and hundreds of thousands of miles of useage for years and years.....NEVER had a failure of any kind....not so when I purchased Honda, Shad, etc. Products........ 8)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

CaptnJim wrote:I don't have a topbox on my PCX... but, I did spend 32 years in the photography business. Would you be from Riverton, WY?

32 years in the photography business from your ship?