Replacement Windshield

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

PKrellner
Regular User
Regular User

Replacement Windshield

Post by PKrellner »

I've been through the various postings regarding windshields and I'm still unsure of what to get. I don't want to spend big bucks but I do want one that will look good and work well. I've seen too many that, to me, look kind of ugly. The PCX is a good looking scooter and I don't want to spoil it. I also don't want something that looks like it was added on as an afterthought, it needs to be a good looking custom fit. As I said, I know there's a ton of info on this forum but I just get a little crazy looking through it all. Also, a US supplier would be good unless someone can vouch for a foreign source. Thanks in advance.
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Replacement Windshield

Post by khaosaming »

More important than looks is proper height (of the windshield). If you can just barely see above it, then it'll be fine. Wrong height will give an unbearable rumbling noise. Most times it's better not have a windshield at all, if not properly adjusted to rider's size.
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
toot

Post by toot »

Bought a GIVI short windscreen in Smoke...It looks great on my 2013 PCX 150 :P :P :P :P
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

Hey toot. How do you like riding with the Givi short windscreen compared to the stock windscreen?

Thanks for any comparisons.

Don
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

i suppose you should start with the ones that you like the looks of. then read how they work with riders of similar height. i am 5ft 8 and my ermax +25 is great. just dont buy one from internet shop "Same Same"!
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by Indyglow »

I had the screen it came with, the short Givi and now the tall Givi. I wanted wind and bug splatter protection. The stock screen was useless for me. The short Givi caused way too much helmet buffeting, especially at higher speeds. The tall Givi is just about perfect for me. No helmet buffeting and very little bug splatter on the helmet visor. I look through the tall screen, not over it. http://www.compacc.com/p/Givi-D322-Repl ... CX125-2010. I bought mine from a US supplier. I'm 5'3" and I got my PCX seat lowered. Never drove it at night so I can't tell you what it is like looking through the screen at night.
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

Thanks for the comfort comparisons Indyglow. Did you notice any differences in the PCX performance among the three different windscreens?

Don
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

toot wrote:Bought a GIVI short windscreen in Smoke...It looks great on my 2013 PCX 150 :P :P :P :P
Agreed, the smoked Givi is at the top of my must have list. Looks great on the black PCX.
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Indyglow »

I noticed that with the original screen and the short Givi the PCX would get blown around a lot in strong cross winds. For some reason it doesn't get blown around nearly so much with the tall Givi. I don't know why. I get over 100 MPG no matter which screen I use. It is a much more comfortable and quiet ride with the tall Givi. My only complaint is that the tall Givi has two upturned areas on the bottom that reflect afternoon sun right up into my eyes. I had put small pieces of car window tint film on these areas to cover over the glossiness and it worked for a while, but the film kept coming loose so I took it off. Those two upturned areas need to be flat black and I'm still trying to figure out a safe way to accomplish that.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Say Indy, how's about some Krylon? http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Here I sit with my Clear Givi D322ST Regular (I call it medium height) screen. I'm 5'4" or so. More than my eyes are above screens brow. Speed has a lot to do with my comfort level, so I mainly enjoy a 45-50mph ride. At that speed both stock and medium screens suit me. At 60mph (using medium screen) I'm holding the reins a bit more (not gripping). I admit I do have a hard time imagining how the Tall Givi at speed is better, but to each his/her own & comfort/safety level ;) Enjoy your PCX!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (92.89 KiB) Viewed 5187 times
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

Indyglow & WhiteNoise thanks for your impressions. I'm still waiting on my D322ST to be shipped and based on your experiences it should be a little more comfortable than the stock version. Most of my riding is at 50mph or below. For the brief periods I will be riding over 50mph I think I can deal with the wind noise and buffeting. It is a scooter after all not a limo.

Don
former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

GeezyRider wrote:Indyglow & WhiteNoise thanks for your impressions. I'm still waiting on my D322ST to be shipped and based on your experiences it should be a little more comfortable than the stock version. Most of my riding is at 50mph or below. For the brief periods I will be riding over 50mph I think I can deal with the wind noise and buffeting. It is a scooter after all not a limo.

Don
As you said, It is a scooter after all not a limo.
But-
Maybe once it gets cold I may install a windshield. I just don't know how high it really would need to be. I do, after all, have the shield on my helmet blocking the wind, rain, and bugs.

OK, when I am speeding along on a freshwater lake in a 14ft light weight aluminum boat with no windshield, and waves sending me airborne - seriously airborne, powered by my Honda 20 outboard motor, there is a huge amount of wind in my face. Often the wind catches the boat and changes its direction as I skip off the top of a big wave at 40 miles per hour. (That makes a big sound with an aluminum boat!)

When I used to descend mountain passes at a likely 50 miles per hour on my 1970's era 10-speed racing bicycle with a 60 lb. load of camping gear I had no windshield.

When I used to do time trials in the winter in Wyoming going as fast as I could possibly go skiing as straight down the mountain as humanly possible I had no windshield other than my goggles.

I welcome the luxury of a windshield now, if it ever gets to that, but so far at 55 miles per hour I have not needed one in the warm month of May in Washington State. I still have not cruised at wide open throttle because of my break-in period on the new PCX. I do not even know how fast this little red scooter will go yet! Maybe once I do a substantial WOT day on the freeway I will want a windshield. I have this little surf shack about 150 miles from Seattle where I store surfboards on the Washington state coast. I may sing a different tune if I scoot to the beach once the cold rainy months of autumn start. But then again, maybe I'll take the car so I can carry a few extra surfboards to the beach.

I am sure, when the temperature gets low and it starts to rain as the Seattle area is famous for, I will want a windshield. But there is wind in my face for the next few months.
I, very likely, come September, will try to decide between the short Givi, the tall Ermax, or the tall Givi. But, wind is good for now.

As you may already have read, I am over 60 years old. I'm 6 feet tall and do not find the hump in the PCX 150 seat a problem at all. In a way, it is a good thing that the hump encourages me not to sit too far back in such a way that I would put too much center of gravity toward the rear. The hump gently reminds me to stay centered on this little scooter.
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Indyglow »

WhiteNoise wrote:Say Indy, how's about some Krylon? http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/
Thanks WhiteNoise, I actually have a can of Krylon Fusion Ultra-Flat, I just wasn't sure that I wanted to spraypaint my windshield. I'll test it out on a piece of plexiglass first.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

^ okay, cool on the experimenting 8) please let us see the finished product when you get tuit. Idea.....Have you given any thought to using a black reflective material? The kind that glows Only when headlights hit it? Lotsa tapes out there. Just a thought :geek: Zebra black/red stripes or wiggly stripes. Artsy is fun :D
Just an FYI, Home Depot sells sections/pieces of plexiglass (bought a piece awhile back to use as a backsplash for the wall behind my slop-sink. Did the trick!)
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

My PCX is black and I have a short Givi, smoked version, installed on. I will be replacing it after summer for a tall Ermax. I'm 5 ft 9 1/2" and I "enjoy" considerable wind buffeting with it. It makes long rides VERY unconfortable, to the point that I wear earplugs when I ride for more than fifteen minutes outside of town at speeds in excess of 70 kph.

I hope the tall Ermax works a bit better. I will be investing in a better helmet, too. My cheap modular is to be blamed for the noise, too.
st3v4nt

Post by st3v4nt »

To give a rough picture of different windshield on PCX, I use white noise photo as a base
and draw other windshield outline around Givi 322 ST. Hope it helps.
Attachments
comparison.jpg
comparison.jpg (114.59 KiB) Viewed 5007 times
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Oh my god, 4 cloned Whitenoises! And where is the tall Givi ( +41cm) or did you run out of screen real estate? More like a spinnaker than a screen. :D
ben
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ben »

Painted mine to help keep the sun off my satnav...its very black! :(
Attachments
IMG_1715.JPG
IMG_1715.JPG (290.46 KiB) Viewed 4982 times
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

Hey Ben, that looks nice! Is it the D322?

Don