connecting wires for heated grips

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

alexKua
Year: 2021
Color: white 160

connecting wires for heated grips

Post by alexKua »

Browsed topics here, but found no specific info about connecting heated grips. I noticed that some people connect it to the battery. Ok, but is this it? Not making sure that grips will not drain the battery if not switched off?
I'm pretty sure I will forget to turn them off right away...

So the question is: how to properly connect the grips to something that is only live when the engine is on?
And probably they use a lot of power, so maybe still connect to battery but with a relay on the way?

2018 model, keyless.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: connecting wires for heated grips

Post by Jge64 »

You can splice onto the pos + wire the of the cigarette lighter power adapter that’s in the front pocket. Run that to a relay, then run the relay to the battery, then the grips will only work when the ignition is running.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
airhead83
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by airhead83 »

Some brands are wired directly to the battery and have an electronic controller that automatically shuts off the heated grips if you forget and leave them on by sensing the inactivity in voltage on the bike. If you haven't already purchased your grips, check out "Oxford" heated grips.. they work great, offer an auto-shut-down feature, and are reasonably priced. I'm not trying to push a product here, but I'm on my 2nd bike and 6 years of use with Oxfords and have had no problems or issues.
Whatever brand you use, the grips will come with instructions that specify the best way to power them. They grips should come with an in-line fuse (or add a 12V relay as mentioned above) for protection.
You could also consider adding a 'water-proof' 12V toggle switch mounted somewhere convenient on the dash.
power-full
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2010
Color: preta

Post by power-full »

Hello good Morning . i connected mine to a relay ... as follows , relay connects to the battery but only activates ( makes contact ) with the ignition on , however the kit I bought from Oxford whenever it detects that the battery is weak 10.5v , it turns off . if for safety, even using the star /stop it deactivates if I have ridden a good 4 years I never had stress..

https://www.eurobikes.pt/punhos-aquecid ... emium-1031
Attachments
IMG_20190922_121209.jpg
IMG_20190922_121209.jpg (190.02 KiB) Viewed 789 times
IMG_20190922_121213.jpg
IMG_20190922_121213.jpg (176.56 KiB) Viewed 789 times
Puños-Calefactables-Oxford-Sport-Premium.jpeg
Puños-Calefactables-Oxford-Sport-Premium.jpeg (42.22 KiB) Viewed 789 times
https://www.facebook.com/sergiofininho
Pcx powerfull kit yuminashi 168cc
93000km 23.03.2022 dont stop..