Buzzing vibration sound heard when travelling at 30 to 40 mph

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

150pcxer
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Buzzing vibration sound heard when travelling at 30 to 40 mph

Post by 150pcxer »

This buzzing vibration sound comes from the right side at the rear of the bike. It is pretty soft but it is annoying because my attention is taken away partially by it as I ride.

The vibration only happens when I roll on the throttle. Roll on throttle, there is the buzzing sound. Roll off throttle, it disappears. Roll on again, it appears.

In the past few weeks, I've tried putting blu tack on the fairings/plastic panels in a bid to absorb the vibration to no avail.

I've been to a workshop and the mechanic told me it was the spring of the rear suspension. So I added a bit more spring preload, to make it stiffer. I was quite glad when it did help somewhat, the vibration noise was softer.

Does anyone know exactly what is wrong?

Thank you all.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Buzzing vibration sound heard when travelling at 30 to 40 mph

Post by you you »

Might not be anything wrong as such, just something vibrating in sympathy with something else like the transmission operating.
150pcxer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 150pcxer »

you you wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:23 pm Might not be anything wrong as such, just something vibrating in sympathy with something else like the transmission operating.
I need to make it disappear. Because of it, it makes me wonder if I am able to live with it long-term. I may have to sell the bike if I can't find a way to make the noise disappear.

I am now sticking as much blu-tack as I can on the underside of the rear mudguard.

Can anyone share, besides the rear mudguard, what are the other places the vibration may appear at?

Thanks.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Just a thought - you’re sure it isn’t something loose under the seat - right ? Also, maybe remove the exhaust and shake it around - tap it a bit - to see if something drops out at either end.
150pcxer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 150pcxer »

I went to a workshop. The mechanic inserted some pieces of foam into gaps wherever could be found between plastic panels.

I need to monitor it for 1 or 2 days to see if it works.