Riding a slow bike fast

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

vito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: silver

Riding a slow bike fast

Post by vito »

Its often said that riding a slow bike fast is more fun that riding a fast bike slow, and its really true. Riding my Goldwing on local country roads, with a 55 mph speed limit, at 75 or 80 is okay, but it sure does not get my adrenaline going. To get the heart rate up on the Goldwing I need to get into the 90 to 110 mph zone. But riding my terrific PCX 150 on those same roads, keeping up 55 or 60 mph feels like I am flying, and makes every ride a thrill. There's a lot to be said for "bikes" like the PCX in terms of not only the convenience factor (low weight, good locked storage, ease of parking, etc.) but the fun factor as well.

I'll admit that I bought the PCX as a second bike more with my wife in mind since she said she would consider riding herself if it were a scooter that did not require clutching and shifting, even if I was originally planning on getting just a lighter, smaller motorcycle. But I am really glad I ended up with the PCX, even though my wife gave up on riding after just a few experiences, since I get such a kick out of riding this scooter.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
pa-outdoorsman

Re: Riding a slow bike fast

Post by pa-outdoorsman »

I agree. On my ADV 150 60 mph is fast!
2021 Honda ADV 150
Pennsylvania, USA
ezrider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ezrider »

I may never know this joy because my new PCX will be a 157cc machine!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Well, just because you own a 157cc machine does not mean that it won't be fun when it reaches 60 - 65 mph, even if it can go faster.

I have a 153cc PCX and it CAN do 70 - 75 mph. That doesn't mean that I want to do that speed all the time just for the thrill of it. I am quite happy when it keeps up with the traffic, even when the road inclines. Think about a little bike surprising everyone by staying with them as they cruise at 65 in a 55 zone... normal around here.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by Conelite »

That was my mentality when I go into riding my Honda Ruckus. It was always much more enjoyable tuning a bike intended to go 40mph MAX and getting it to go in the 60mph range. People trip when they see a pit bike going that fast and only 49cc. ha ha ha ha

Same with my PCX. Cruising at 50mph with capacity for almost 80mph is much more fun than half throttling it and cruising 80mph on the freeway. lol
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
HondaC110
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: Bronze

Post by HondaC110 »

Learned about riding slow bikes fast right after I got my first real motorcycle, a 1964 Honda Sport 50. At 16, I realized that the bike's level of performance was about equal to my riding skills, and so I made all sorts of goofy mistakes, on and off road, without injuring either one of us too badly. Had I been on anything much larger I probably would have hurt myself.

That poor, sweet little bike....