Engine light stays on, bike won't start

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Mikebike
Year: 2015 PCX 150
Color: Black

Engine light stays on, bike won't start

Post by Mikebike »

Hello everyone,
I have been reading this site for several months while helping my neighbor work on his Pcx.
I am a huge Honda fan for 45 years, my first was a Spree, followed by 4 Elites, 2 Helixes, 3 Hawk GTs, and a Ruckus.

So with your help, I was infected with the Pcx bug and just bought my own 2015 Pcx 150 with 10,141 miles.
It is in good shape (hauls butt) but the previous owner seems to have skipped the 10k maintenance. The oil was 1/2 qt. low (now filled 10w 40) and the clutch bearing is grinding (new driven face ordered). And there is a brand new 100/90-14 rear tire mounted on the front wheel, with the rotation going the wrong way!

This is the main issue: today I was planning on taking it to my tire guys but it would not start.
When I turn the key everything seems fine. The headlights, turn signals, horn, dash display, speedo needle all work. But the engine logo stays lit (solid) and does not go out after a few seconds like it used to.

So I charged the battery to full in only 10 minutes, checked the fuses, all good, replaced the 10a ignition just in case. I did not touch the relays though. While installing the battery tender harness, I disconnected the battery, resetting the clock. Doubtful it won't start because of the safety switches in the brakes and kick stand, but I will check those more thoroughly in the morning. I have researched a little bit about the DLC, and the PCM codes. I will see if I have any luck with my paperclip.

So any advice or direction to diagnose or solve this would be greatly appreciated.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: Engine light stays on, bike won't start

Post by iceman »

The US model has a kill switch - UK / Europe ones don't - may be worth checking that.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Try a brand new battery.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Make sure the side stand is up all the way and make sure you are pulling on the rear brake lever hard enough.

No mice nests in it right?

They like to eat wiring. . .. :roll:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Remember that starting the PCX requires that the side stand be up, ignition key on, kill switch to ON, right or left brake lever applied. Then press the start button, give it a little gas, and see if you get ANY response. If it tries but can not start...sometimes it may just sound like it tried but just can't...then your battery is not good enough, no matter if you charged it or not. When the battery on these goes, it gives no warning.

If the bike does not even try to turn, like you missed one of the steps, sometimes the kill switch builds up corrosion inside and you need to take it apart and spray it with some WD-40. Same with the side stand switch.

By the way, 10K miles is still low miles on these bikes, so don't wonder about that. Also, I believe full synthetic is recommended for these. That is what I have been using on them since they were bought, and I have had zero problems as long as I change the oil regularly.

Do you have a service manual? I would suggest getting one.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Mikebike

Post by Mikebike »

Thank you all for the advice. You have been great adding insight and helping me learm this PCX.
I check listed everything you all mentioned, even used a freakin Harley battery lol. Alas, to no avail.

But then the weird kicked in. A friend came over with a voltimeter and we checked several things without finding any problems. Still would not start. An hour or so after he left I gave it another try. The engine light went out and the bike started! We fixed nothing. Maybe the voltimeter poking accomplished something. I am still scratching my head.

So it seems the bike took a 24 hour break.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Maybe the voltimeter poking accomplished something. I am still scratching my head.
Maybe the poking around effected a loose connection or wire break somewhere. Might be good to rattle the connectors and harnesses around a bit to see if the trouble reoccurs.
Mikebike

Post by Mikebike »

After my last post I went for a ride and bought full synthetic 10w40, a new NGK CPR7-EA, and a fuse tester with 5a, 10a, 25a fuses. No one local has the right battery in stock. I bought 2 mouse traps just in case.

Now it is up to another weird. During the ride the turn signals would not stay on unless I held the switch all the way to the left/right. Then had to return the switch to center and push in to reset in order to make the signal lights work again. A couple of times they would work normal, then go back to acting up. It's looking like theres is a problem with the electrical. Might have take it to the shop for an electrical diagnostic.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Having to hold the indicators in rather than momentary may be an ECU issue / large wiring block - assuming there is no latching at all which I do not believe there is. The turn switch goes via the Led Control Unit (UK/Europe) models to the ECU (ECM).

Worth re-seating any mating connectors you can get your hands on.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

It all makes me wonder if that PCX was exposed to a lot of rainy weather or high humidity all the time.

Switches can corrode under the plastic covers.

Salty air from the ocean can be damaging also.