Problems after removing front wheel for rotor replacement

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

romnation
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Problems after removing front wheel for rotor replacement

Post by romnation »

I'm not the most mechanically inclined, so bear with me. I want to make sure I didn't mess something up here. Don't want my wheel to fall off.

When putting the wheel back on I noticed one side would not tighten on the wheel bolt. Please watch this video for further explanation. I'm not sure if this is normal or maybe I installed something wrong/backwards, etc. Just want to make sure I have everything torqued right. As stated in the video, each side is reading over 44ft lbs. (spec) First I want to make sure this is normal and its not undertightened. If it's not, what about overtightening? Could over-tightening it instead cause any problems? I'm not sure if it is or not, and I am a bit afraid to loosen it again now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkjrnlb ... e=youtu.be

The other thing I noticed is when spinning front wheel with the wheel OFF the ground, the brake rubs the rotor slightly and makes a sound. When driving around slowly or even walking the bike around this doesn't seem to happen at all. Is this normal? I've attached a video of the rubbing with wheel off the ground as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXMjTVG ... e=youtu.be

Thanks for any help!
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: Problems after removing front wheel for rotor replacemen

Post by Gil »

When you tightened the axle bolt, did you hold the other side with a wrench? It sounds like you did if you were able to tighten it to 44 ft lbs.

As for the brake pads, they will settle in on your first ride. It's normal for them to make noise after you install the wheel, since they were touched during the install.
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

How old is your bike? Sounds like the wheel bearings are rough.. Maybe its just the audio but sounds like a rough bearing more so than pad friction.
romnation
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Post by romnation »

easyrider wrote:How old is your bike? Sounds like the wheel bearings are rough.. Maybe its just the audio but sounds like a rough bearing more so than pad friction.
8,000 miles. 2015.
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018/19
Color: RED

Post by Yorkie150 »

it should be a ''Thru=axle''. - a one piece rod ...Threaded on one end ( rotor side ) and a Bolt head on the other . The idea being is that you hold the bolt head with a socket and then tighten up the bolt with another socket ...Torque up the NUT ...Not the bolt head
https://www.facebook.com/groups/769137659827490/