front tire install

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

mollyboss
Year: 2015
Color: grey

front tire install

Post by mollyboss »

I recently removed my tires to upgrade to city grips. Lots of videos on how to remove them but not so many on how to reinstall. My problem is trying to get the front tire back on. I was having trouble fitting the disk in the slot while trying to keep the bushings from falling out. I played with the front brake handle to try and get a little more wiggle room but instead sealed the breaks shut. There is no longer any space between the pads. I can't seem to get them to release. What have I done?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Right now the spare tire from my car is holding up the front end of my scooter :oops:
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: front tire install

Post by fish »

Many have made this mistake.
Use a thin blade to open a space between the pads....butter knife? Paint scraper....then a flat blade screwdriver, lever the pads apart. They will move back. Be as careful as possible not to mar the pads - but they're not made of butter, no worries.
A large "C" clamp, careful not to damage the caliper.
Pad them with a rag, and pry with a tool!
Now a good squeeze with the fingers may open them enough to slip back over the disc....or just keep applying prying pressure.
They will open.

Fish
mollyboss

Post by mollyboss »

thx Fish...I can't picture what you are reffering to in regards to the C clamp. Is this something else to try if the butter knife/paint scraper doesn't work? sorry I'm a real noob at this.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Well, a C clamp isn't necessary - but the clamp will help things along once you get the pads sufficiently separated .....after using a tool to spread the pads.
Take a look at these images.....the C clamp can push the brake pistons (under the pad) back into the caliper.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=sp ... ORM=HDRSC2

Fish
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Watch at 1:08 as he uses a screwdriver to spread the pads. Use something to get them spread enough to get a flat-blade screwdriver in there. Spread far enough to slip back on the brake disc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... =emb_title

Fish
mollyboss

Post by mollyboss »

thx again Fish. Really helps to see it!
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

I usually hold the wheel with both knees while sitting in front of the bike to align the axle, the spacers, the brake disc and (on the Elite, the speedometer cable).

It's done pretty easy with patience. Main thing is not to rush and see where there is obstruction. Can use another person to hold the wheel while you align everything if you have a helper.

Brake pads can be spread apart with a large screwdriver.
mollyboss

Post by mollyboss »

thx for the help guys...the job is done!