2019 PCX 150 - Top Speed - Huh?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Bogieboll
Year: 2019
Color: Bronze

2019 PCX 150 - Top Speed - Huh?

Post by Bogieboll »

I recently purchased a brand new 2019 PCX 150. Others that have the same year/ model told me theirs will do 70-72 mph. (Similiar sized people) So, I traded in my Smax which did not fit me well for the honda that fits me much better. My issue is that it consistently tops out at 62 mph. I had my local scooter shop put on the NYC aviator and new face thinking that would help, and it made no difference in my top speed.

The scoot has about 110 miles on it now...
My questions are: is there a "break in " limiter stopping it from going over 62? What might be causing it to go much slower than other's with the same scoot? The scoot shop mentioned that for 100 miles the clutch seemed pre maturely worn, but would that affect it? I am running stock rollers which he said weighed 16.5 grams.
What are you guys with 2019's seeing as your top speed?

Any help/ suggestions is appreciated. Thank you.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: 2019 PCX 150 - Top Speed - Huh?

Post by Gil »

13 gram weights might help, but other factors will dictate how fast the scooter will go. Honda has changed the gearing on the PCX through the years. My understanding was the the newer PCX models have a lower top speed. Some factors that will dictate your possible top speed, besides gearing, is weather. What I have notice with my PCX is that cold winter evenings/nights will slow down my pcx, that and lower fuel economy. In summer or on a nice sunny day, the MPGs will go up along with the top speed.

What conditions existed at your testing site? Was it nice and flat? Any wind? How cold/hot was it? Other members here with the same model year should have more insight on the performance of the 2019 Honda PCX 150.

Dr.pulley 13g weights are great. I highly recommend them.
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

That speed sounds right for your 149cc PCX.
If you want a faster bike, you need an engine with bigger displacement.

Don't blindly base your expectations on peoples reports of top speed. Those reports vary greatly and many people overestimate or ride down hill with tail wind to report top speed.

Consider a forza or some other bike if this one is too slow.

Have you tried burgman 200?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Welcome to our forums Bogieboll and Congrats on the 2019 (say this fast-->....that won't go any faster than 62mph) :lol: My 2015 does that. Okay seriously, members above have given good advice, cheers guys! Let's see if we can get a few more responses....

Here's what I'm doing, I'm adding to your threads title: 2019 PCX 150 - Top Speed - Huh? and then moving your thread to our technical board (me thinks it will get techy ;)

Wait a minute now....here's what you can do in return for Us (think of it as: Let's make a deal) :D
Kindly add your location to your profile. When you want an answer to Any question, we want to be able to help. Our bikes vary country to country. We want to give you the correct answer, with pointed finger ;) add yours, it's simple...follow my directions below my post to get that done.

B4 I leave, tell me is it necessary for you to go faster? Highway travel? Or do you need it for climbs along the ride? Or just Want it?
Anywho, ~Happy Trails~ 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Bogieboll

Post by Bogieboll »

Whitenoise... thank you and done. I added that info you requested.
To answer the questions so far, no never tried the Burg 200
I had the smax and that was fast enough but did not like it, the burg is too big. The PCX is perfect size but I was hoping to get 70 mph out of it as others have reportedly done. I would have thought the new variator and face plate would have gotten me there. I just ordered NCY 13 grn rollers for it. Try that.
So there is no break in limiter on these holding it back? At 62 it feels like it wants to do more, just wont. Thanks
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

I don't think the PCX has a break in limiter. It does have a rev limiter at about 9200 RPM. When the scooter hits the rev limiter it will feel like engine brake pulses. The peak power from the engine is at 8,000 RPM. So the goal is to keep the engine in that sweet spot in order too get the most from the engines power. Other members have explained it better as to how the transmission mods achieve this.
ImageImage
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018/19
Color: RED

Post by Yorkie150 »

Bogieboll wrote:Whitenoise... thank you and done. I added that info you requested.
To answer the questions so far, no never tried the Burg 200
I had the smax and that was fast enough but did not like it, the burg is too big. The PCX is perfect size but I was hoping to get 70 mph out of it as others have reportedly done. I would have thought the new variator and face plate would have gotten me there. I just ordered NCY 13 grn rollers for it. Try that.
So there is no break in limiter on these holding it back? At 62 it feels like it wants to do more, just wont. Thanks
My UK Model 125 ( 2018/19 ) will happily hit 63mph and will ''cruise'' easily at 55.... I would have thought that the 150cc would have a higher top end ?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/769137659827490/
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Feel kinda sorry for that new scooter of yours.
Doing Top Speed trials before it is properly broken in.
Didn't you sit the Yamaha before purchasing?
Fish
HondaC110
Regular User
Regular User

Post by HondaC110 »

62mph seems about right...I have the identical machine.
But give the little guy a break and run him in before making those "high speed" runs...
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

I agree with you all on not stressing the engine until it's broken in. A friend of mine that has owned a few Honda Groms from new, has told me that he has noticed a different in the amount of power the engine produce after 1500 miles of riding it. I would think it would be the same for the Honda PCX.
ImageImage
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Gil wrote:I agree with you all on not stressing the engine until it's broken in. A friend of mine that has owned a few Honda Groms from new, has told me that he has noticed a different in the amount of power the engine produce after 1500 miles of riding it. I would think it would be the same for the Honda PCX.
+1. My 2018 PCX150 does between 65 & 70 and can hold that in various conditions. But I don't typically ride it like like that - and didn't try until 700+ miles. I've been riding for over 50 years and a lot of different bikes, and feel the PCX is too light weight physically to handle 65+ with confidence.

If you want to typically ride a lightweight at 65 thru bumps, wind, traffic turbulence, etc - hey that's your choice. But - for my thinking - it's not just more engine thats needed for freeways, it's also more weight and a different steering geometry.

For a short burst, sure. Hang on, wear a decent helmet, a riding suit with kevlar and ride as safe as possible. JMO.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

I can run my 2016 up to 72 mph but I'm only around 145 lbs. Weight plays a big factor.

Also, give your PCX more time to break in.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

My 18 tops out at around 62, and was closer to 65 when new.
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Now you got me going,if it wasn't so hard to insure my bike because of covid
I would be running it flat out on the now empty roads to give you reading on my 2013 with my skinny ass on board
zroger73
Regular User
Regular User

Post by zroger73 »

My 2019 tops at about 65 MPH on level ground with no headwind. With a tailwind or downhill, the rev limiter won't let it go faster than 68 MPH.
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by Conelite »

Late to the game, but with NCY Variator+Driveface and shaved weights I maxed out at 72-73. Then added taller tires and bounce the limiter at 77.
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
Bogieboll

Post by Bogieboll »

So far I did the Ncy variator and face and no difference. Just tried doing 13grm rollers and lost 1-2 mph. Guess I'm gonna try heavier ones than the stock 16.5 grm
MacDaddy
Color: White

Post by MacDaddy »

Bogieboll wrote:So far I did the Ncy variator and face and no difference. Just tried doing 13grm rollers and lost 1-2 mph. Guess I'm gonna try heavier ones than the stock 16.5 grm
Wow, I'm surprised it's worse now. I have a U.S. 2018 that I bought with 750 miles on it two years ago. The HARD rev limiter hit at 63 mph. I hated how that limiter felt when it cut in and out. I read here about the virtues of the NCY variator with the 13 gram rollers so I bought the set and threw them on. Other than being a little louder it's all been positive. No more mechanical limiter. Now I'm only limited by the wind and gradient of the roadway. The motor feels a little more relaxed at speed and I've seen as high as 72 indicated going in favorable conditions (wind/downhill). I don't want to do any motor work or gearing changes so this has been a very positive thing for me. I probably have 3500 trouble free miles on that combo.