Wikipedia article

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Wikipedia article

Post by maddiedog »

Anyone really good at Wikipedia editing?

Khaosaming posted a picture from the wikipedia page for the PCX. I didn't realize there even was a page for the PCX, so I went and checked it out. I made a few changes for clarity and consistency, and added some sources, but I'm not entirely great at the whole Wikipedia thing (any time I've edited an article or contributed, it got marked for deletion for being too incomplete, or some wiki-nazi came and basically removed everything). I highly recommend someone on here with experience editing go and make that page something we can be proud of, so that anyone researching the PCX on there can get some good, solid information.

Also, I humbly request we NOT post a link to this forum there. We aren't really a reputable source, and Wikipedia is supposed to be free of bias. If we post a link from there to here, any edits me or other members made would not be considered free of bias.

Here's the page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_PCX
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Wikipedia article

Post by khaosaming »

Wait... There's more! Anybody can help, no grammar needed. You can share your PCX photos too by uploading them into the Wikimedia Commons repositories. It's easy, just use the wizard.

It's here:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Honda_PCX
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

I think I've stepped on a minefield trying to contribute. Here's what my user talk page says now:
I am growing tired of tidying up after you. Please read WP:MOSNUM, which deals with how numbers should be formatted, especially dates and units of measure. Then read WP:OVERLINK, because countries should not be linked. Finally take a look at the {{cite web}} and {{cite news}} templates as these are much better for formatting references. Any questions, please ask. --Biker Biker (talk) 08:30, 5 February 2013 (UTC)

Sorry about that. I got confused there last night between thousand separators in Finnish and English. Regarding the external links -- not all of them are mine, and those I put there are considered fair stuff in Finnish edition of Wikipedia. I can't be aware of all Wiki rules and regulations you have here (there are so many of them one cannot keep count). If you get tired sometimes, maybe you should let somebody else do it or take a break from editing. That's why there are other people to help. I'll try to be more careful, though.--Khaosaming (talk) 09:13, 5 February 2013 (UTC)

I got your point now about linking countries. Won't happen again. Thanks. --Khaosaming (talk) 09:18, 5 February 2013 (UTC)

Thanks! --Biker Biker (talk) 09:22, 5 February 2013 (UTC)

Was it really such a big deal? Personally I think, while I appreciate the work of seasoned wiki contributors and their knowledge of the system, plain wikifying is not something to go frantic about. There are people from all over the world trying to make the encyclopedia better. Those same people make mistakes. Not all of them can be expected to be wiki-pros now or in the future. Small, insignificant mishaps do happen, but they are not deliberate or destructive. I could have understood your aggravation better had you notified me here already once or twice and me not taking heed of that. On your own page you propagate politeness, but you don't really practice what you preach. I have learned to expect something like this, yet it cannot possibly stop me from trying to contribute on something I think I know a great deal about and am interested in. Wikipedia can lose a lot of potential contributors if human error is not tolerated a little bit better than this. --Khaosaming (talk) 10:33, 5 February 2013 (UTC)
I know I'm not much of a contributor in the English language version of Wikipedia. Anyway, the article is much better now than it was just a few weeks ago. It has photographs, references, is not orphaned anymore and the text body has more content. Per aspera ad astra.
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
tomtic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by tomtic »

I think you've raised some very good points in your responses to the Wiki moderator, hopefully they will take it on board.
A lot of people will appreciate your efforts, so well done!
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

Biker Biker is the fuckwad that removed my Wikipedia article I made about the Honda Reflex. Look at the history: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... on=history

Nothing was wrong with the info I had posted (here's the historical link: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... on=history -- click the bottommost one by davezurn), it was just incomplete, so he marked it for removal rather than actually doing something about it. The article up now is the SAME THING I POSTED BEFORE, only with garbage citations.

Gah, nothing pisses me off more than shitty moderators. The whole POINT of Wikipedia is to share knowledge, and the body of knowledge is VAST. If an article contains valid content, in a valid format, even if it doesn't have prose about the bike, why delete it? :x
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Biker biker gets wood moderating I say
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

Perhaps. I was a bit harsh calling him a fuckwad though, I should know better. :lol:

He's trying to make the site better, and his intentions are probably good ones, but I think his efforts might be a bit misguided.
SmellyTofu
Regular User
Regular User

Wikipedia article

Post by SmellyTofu »

When you get people like that, it's a wonder why anyone bothers updating wiki at all. Just come here and make our own wiki thread with info at the top.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

maddiedog wrote:Perhaps. I was a bit harsh calling him a fuckwad though, I should know better. :lol:

He's trying to make the site better, and his intentions are probably good ones, but I think his efforts might be a bit misguided.

Sounds like a person who shouldn't be doing it. We might differ over his intentions