a cautionary word

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

a cautionary word

Post by flyingzonker »

I took my crankcase cover off last week and changed the belt and rollers. The old belt still looked like a champ but when I weighed it against the new belt it came in about 6 grams lighter so maybe (I hope) that makes it worthy of replacement. I can't get over, however, how good the old belt looks after more than 10000 miles. It's really hard to tell it from brand new. There was also a weight differential between the old and new rollers but this time the older component had the advantage. The new rollers are 3 grams lighter. From 16 grams to 13. After I got the whole rigmarole back together I stuck my plastic hat on my head and my key in the slot. I was ten feet down the driveway when I heard something I had never heard before from my PCX. It sounded like somebody vigorously shaking a milk carton full of gravel. I immediately pulled my key, took everything apart and studied the matter. I thought the problem must be something to do with the rollers being too light for the application; but when I put my wrench to the variator nut I found the true culprit i.e. an idiot had gotten in there and loosed the variator nut to the point where I could hand turn it. I wonder who that damn idiot was and how did he get in there after I had replaced the cover? Well, it just proves that you have to keep a really sharp eye out when you're working on your machine; you never know when some damn lurking idiot is going to sneak in when you turn your back and undo all your hard work.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: a cautionary word

Post by Old Grinner »

Scary eh?

It can happen to any of us.

There is something to be said for being OCD about things.

BTW did you Loctite the nut? Something like Loctite 248 maybe?

I'm not sure it is necessary but I've seen on some YouTube videos that others have done it on a variety of scooters.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Old Grinner wrote:Scary eh?

It can happen to any of us.

There is something to be said for being OCD about things.

BTW did you Loctite the nut? Something like Loctite 248 maybe?

I'm not sure it is necessary but I've seen on some YouTube videos that others have done it on a variety of scooters.
I didn't locktite the nut. I know some people do that and maybe they have a point. I haven't used it on the variator or the clutch nut on this machine and, provided I remember to tighten the nuts properly, I have had no problems.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

You must've accidentally set your torque wrench to 0 lbs...
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Do an oil & filter change, and forget the new oil?
Too common mistake at dealers and DIY.

I've not done that....but did slide under a Toyota to drain the oil. "Hey, who uses red oil?!"
Yeah, drained the trans fluid.
Stuff happens. ..
Fish
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Other possible scenarios of forgetfulness: :roll:

1) Hand tighten the oil drain plug . . . the phone rings (or some other interruption). . . you answer the call with the anticipation of going back and tightening down the drain plug with a wrench. You forget because you become focused on replacing the oil to the proper level and taking it for a ride on the first sunny day in a week.

2) You put your new sunglasses on the top box while you put your full face helmet on. You start up the bike to let it warm up for a bit. You think about where you want to go. You get on and ride. Good-bye sunglasses.

3) One of the mirror mounts is a reversed thread (left hand thread). But which one is it? They both are difficult to loosen. Don't want to damage the threads. Damn . . .. Have to write that down in the maintenance records when I figure it out.

4) You come up short a wrench when putting everything away. It could be anywhere.

5) You come up with an extra screw when putting everything away. You now remember where it is supposed to go . . . plans for the ride will have to be put off until you can buy another cover gasket and sealant.

It's always good to have a system of inspection checks. It helps to avoid those WTF moments in life . . .. :lol:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Unfortunately sometimes we do end up with a screw or two left over. It happens. Putting the plastics back on is not a deal breaker. You can still ride.

However if you are putting the engine back together it becomes a real problem. I try to put nuts, bolts, and screws together in a magnetic bowl that go to certain areas. I have 5 or 6 of those bowls. If it is specific and very important then I insert the screws into a packing foam block with marked areas. That way I know where each set goes.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2016 - 125cc
Color: White (NHA16)

Post by Ganglylamb »

Old Grinner wrote:Other possible scenarios of forgetfulness: :roll:
2) You put your new sunglasses on the top box while you put your full face helmet on. You start up the bike to let it warm up for a bit. You think about where you want to go. You get on and ride. Good-bye sunglasses.
Had exactly the same with my smartphone which also included my id, driving license, bank cards and credit cards...
4 weeks later I get a call by the police saying the found my phone - shattered of course, all the cards were still there except credit card... not that it made a difference as all those cards were long blocked anyhow. I blame the black smartphone sleeve, now I have a shiny blue sleeve and I have added sparkling retroreflective tape to it so I will never leave it on there again!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Biggest problem with a motorcycle or scooter is the nut holding the handlebars.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

alx123 wrote:You must've accidentally set your torque wrench to 0 lbs...
No, but if I had used a torque wrench it could very possibly happen. Actually I just used an impact wrench, the badboy method.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Old Grinner wrote:Other possible scenarios of forgetfulness: :roll:

1) Hand tighten the oil drain plug . . . the phone rings (or some other interruption). . . you answer the call with the anticipation of going back and tightening down the drain plug with a wrench. You forget because you become focused on replacing the oil to the proper level and taking it for a ride on the first sunny day in a week.

3) One of the mirror mounts is a reversed thread (left hand thread). But which one is it? They both are difficult to loosen. Don't want to damage the threads. Damn . . .. Have to write that down in the maintenance records when I figure it out.

4) You come up short a wrench when putting everything away. It could be anywhere.

5) You come up with an extra screw when putting everything away. You now remember where it is supposed to go . . . plans for the ride will have to be put off until you can buy another cover gasket and sealant.

It's always good to have a system of inspection checks. It helps to avoid those WTF moments in life . . .. :lol:
I know the sunglasses stunt, and the one about a missing wrench. Too many or too few screws rings a bell also.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Mel46 wrote:Unfortunately sometimes we do end up with a screw or two left over. It happens. Putting the plastics back on is not a deal breaker. You can still ride.

However if you are putting the engine back together it becomes a real problem. I try to put nuts, bolts, and screws together in a magnetic bowl that go to certain areas. I have 5 or 6 of those bowls. If it is specific and very important then I insert the screws into a packing foam block with marked areas. That way I know where each set goes.
Yes, the bowls are good. I have one that is actually too small but it is a great help anyway.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

fish wrote:Do an oil & filter change, and forget the new oil?
Too common mistake at dealers and DIY.

I've not done that....but did slide under a Toyota to drain the oil. "Hey, who uses red oil?!"
Yeah, drained the trans fluid.
Stuff happens. ..
Fish
I have done this one too. I went one better though, I drained the trans thinking it was the crankcase, realized by the color that something was amiss so I immediately found the crankcase on the other side, changed the oil and rode off....without replacing the transmission fluid. I drove maybe fI ran, to the nearest gas station, bought some fluid, poured it in and never thereafter had a bit of trouble with the car...so you can get a way with no fluid for a little while.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

You mean the "steering stem" nut right?

The one you torque to the steering head bearing?

I've had the one on my KLR loosen up several times. If you let the "slop" get too lose you can almost detect a "metal on metal" noise on rough bumps.

It's a pain to adjust/tighten but most necessary (depending on the machine). The handle bar usually has to be removed and the fork tube fasteners loosened with the bike/scooter propped up on the center stand or on a lift to take the weight off the front suspension. Conversely you don't want to loosen things up too much because you don't want the fork tubes to slide down either. It takes a little finesse. . ..

Usually I just put something like old rags or towels on the tank and carefully rest the handlebar (with everything still attached) on the tank. There's not much leeway on the KLR but it can be done . . ..

Best done when the mosquitoes and biting flies are not in season. But sometimes you have no choice. :lol:

Sometimes you have to remove a cover to get to the nut like on my Zuma 125.
100_6134a.jpg
Other times the nut is exposed . . . the bearing nut is the notched one below. You can use a spanner or hammer and slotted screwdriver (if you are careful). :D
100_6135a.jpg
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Old Grinner wrote:
You mean the "steering stem" nut right?
No, the nut which attaches at both ends.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

No, the nut which attaches at both ends.
Oh yes . . . now I get it . . ..

And I thought I had a great sense of humor! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brilliant!!! :D
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

It is sort of like those robots that ride sport bikes on one wheel on the freeways. I think the designation for them is a "ID10T".
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers