Barry Sheene's Racing Bikes

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Barry Sheene's Racing Bikes

Post by Old Grinner »

Barry told it like it was . . .. ;)

It's not just about power and weight . . . structural strength is an important factor effecting handling characteristics on a motorcycle.

He raced to win and put his heart and soul into the sport. His legend will endure the test of time. :geek:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Barry Sheene's Racing Bikes

Post by gn2 »

Aye, he was the guy who was almost as quick as Kenny Roberts.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Aye, he was the guy who was almost as quick as Kenny Roberts.
I saw Kenny Roberts and Gary Nixon race at Laconia (Loudon) back in the 70's. The New Hampshire International Speedway used to be referred to as "Bryar Motorsports Park".

I'll never forget it . . ..

Kenny never forgot Barry Sheene either to this day. :D

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Some images from slides I took at Laconia in the '70's ('76 I think). I had to use a handheld slide viewer and try to take pictures of some old slides I still have.

I obviously wasn't too great of a photographer back then. Didn't bother taking too many pictures of riders whizzing by because they would just render in a blur. I'm quite sure the guy on the yellow bike was Kenny Roberts.

Things have really changed at the track now and it's all upgraded and more formal. Back in the '70s it was still kind of crude by today's standards. But you get the idea. It was a lot of fun camping out there in tents and watching all the festivities. :D
100_6099b.jpg
100_6103b.jpg
100_6105a.jpg
100_6107b.jpg
100_6108b.jpg
100_6104b.jpg
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

It really reminds me of when I was flat track racing for a short time in West Texas. At that time we didn't have all of the gear and protection we have now. I had a Harley Sportster and most of the field was the new Triumph Bonneville and others like it. No Hondas in the mix. My racing days didn't last long after the Triumphs came because a Harley was no match for them, even though my transmission could handle a lot of abuse...I didn't have to use the clutch to downshift most of the time if I timed it right.

In any case, bales of hay and old tires made a lousy wall.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers