Heidenau K66 4-Season Scooter Tire

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Re: Heidenau K66 4-Season Scooter Tire

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

Glad you're home safe and sound!

I wonder if the bearing you hear going bad is the swingarm bearing? Maybe the loose swingarm put extra stress on it? Service manual doesn't mention using loctite (I'm sure it won't hurt) just to torque them to 36 ft-lb.

The K66 is the right tire for the roads and weather you ride but it was twice the price and you only got half the mileage of a City Grip. Is it 4 times better? Plus the inconvenience of getting a new tire installed every what, 2 monrhs for you? Is your Forza at an incredible 110,000km now?
Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

E. Foster Salsbury wrote:Glad you're home safe and sound!

I wonder if the bearing you hear going bad is the swingarm bearing? Maybe the loose swingarm put extra stress on it? Service manual doesn't mention using loctite (I'm sure it won't hurt) just to torque them to 36 ft-lb.

The K66 is the right tire for the roads and weather you ride but it was twice the price and you only got half the mileage of a City Grip. Is it 4 times better? Plus the inconvenience of getting a new tire installed every what, 2 monrhs for you? Is your Forza at an incredible 110,000km now?
I am amazed I am still alive after all of the stupidity of that trip. I did what I wanted. I was north of 60 degrees latitude when I turned 60 years old and I was in Dawson City on my birthday.

The bouncing swingarm put very bad stresses on my brake pads. New ones are on order. I will have to check the swingarm bearing. The missing bolts put rotational forces on the bearing so it may have survived. The chattering was probably from the shock rotating the swingarm up and down.

My scooter license should probably be pulled for riding in such a bad state of disrepair. This was really, really bad.

That rear K66 only lasted 2 weeks!!! But I did more in two weeks than a lot of people do in two years.

The CityGrips would have been OK for the trip. The K66 were better for high speed gravel roads. 100 km per hour on the gravel with no problems.

I am at the wear bars of the rear K66 M&S tire but I still have more tread than a new CityGrip. Not a legal snow tire anymore. Tons of warm weather life left.

My Forza has 112,297 km on it now.

I am still really upset about the swingarm. I consider it a personal failure that it happened. Should I turn in my keys? Part of the problem is that I am hearing impaired. The other problem is that I have had many serious head injuries. Can I still do this?
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User

Happy birthday! Sounds like it was a good one to be alive for! 8)

Can you still do this? I think you're stuck with that Forza now. Who's gonna buy a "scooter" with almost 120,000km. :lol:

100kph on gravel? That's super fast! I find 60kph it's starting to get uncomfortably squirrelly. But I guess it depends on the gravel. I'm surprised you didn't hit the radiator with a rock. It's in a terrible place for gravel roads.

What's the next rear tire gonna be?
Salsbury
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

The current rear tire has lots of tread. After that I will put the previous rear K66 back on the scooter which has more tread than the current one.

And then I am probably finished with scooters. No money.

If the price is right someone will always buy a scooter. $100?, $10?
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I need a new muffler gasket for a 2014 Honda Forza 300.

Does anyone know where I can get one reasonably priced shipped to me here in Canada?

I've seen $10 but they wanted about $30 shipping which makes it expensive.
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User

Yep, that's what I paid. I ordered 2 from gn2's link below.
gn2 wrote:Just had to change the pads on my Forza, down to the metal 4000 miles after the dealer replaced them.
Well they said they did....

Has anyone worked out how to see the pad wear without having to take the exhaust, inner heatshield and caliper off...?

What mileages are people getting out of rear pads?

Anyone else have a problem with the caliper being sticky and rubbing?

I stripped and cleaned mine, fitted new pads, reassembled and the bloody thing is still not releasing properly.

Anyway, if you are going in for a look I have found EBC pads, Athena silencer connecting gasket and mikalor stainless steel exhaust clamp on eBay
All items significantly cheaper in the UK than genuine Honda (even with delivery added) and all same or better quality.
Pays to get these items beforehand, I once ended up off the road for a while waiting on a replacement exhaust clamp from the Honda dealer.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400442670447
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181230539111
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390357156512
Salsbury
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

The bouncing swing arm put really bad wear into the steel backing of the rear brake pads so new ones were ordered on 1 July 2019. I ordered a low quality SOK pad from Shadow Lisle in Illinois, USA because I thought that the better ones (?) from lqkft in Henan, China might take awhile to get to Hope, British Columbia, Canada.

The USA and China pads both arrived on the same day, 8 July 2019.

I will put the Chinese Cyleto pads in first and keep the Illinois (Taiwan) SOK pads as a spare set. I have used the SOK pads before and they wore out fast. I have no idea about the cheaper Cyleto pads.

I probably need a new rear brake piston but I will try the pads first.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I went yesterday to order a spare muffler connection gasket at Big Top Powersports in Chilliwack, BC.

They just started carrying Honda lawnmowers so Honda brought a few bikes for demo rides. I rode a Gold Wing 1600, an Africa Twin and a CRF250L.

Gold Wing is now the name for the Honda bagger, no rear top case, half height screen. A Honda Gold Wing TOUR is the full meal deal. It takes 6.5 Forza engines to equal the 1633 cc displacement of the flat 6 horizontally opposed engine. It is one very heavy motorcycle (805 pounds) but it rides very nice.

The Africa Twin is also a very heavy motorcycle (507 pounds) versus the (428 pounds) Forza. I can get my toenails down on the Twin. The one I rode had the manual shifting, the DCT is better! I was in the wrong gear most of the time.

I finally rode the CRF250L. I would have preferred the CFR250 Rally. That little windscreen makes a big difference.

I donated $10 to a horse group and had some really bad hot dogs with one Pepsi and one Coca Cola. My stomach still hurts but she was a nice lady.
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User

How much for a gasket?
Salsbury
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

They do not know the price until they get it. It depends on currency exchanges and whether the governments like each other.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

So who attacked this web site on the weekend. This is a test, does it still work?
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User

whatsamatta u? It works
Salsbury
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

E. Foster Salsbury wrote:How much for a gasket?
I finally got my muffler gasket.

$29.99 Canadian plus 12% tax for $33.59 Canadian but I had to ride to Chilliwack to get it which was a nice thing but I spent too much money while there.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I am below the wear bars but it looks like I have lots of tread left.

Do the Germans set the wear bars extra big to sell more tires or is it a Mud & Snow tire thing?

I currently have 9900 km (6100 miles) on the tire that went up to Dawson City & the Alaska Highway and back.

I was on gravel for a tiny bit yesterday and I had no problems. They seem fine in the rain.

I got 95.2 km/liter while on the gravel roads from Merritt to Tulameen. I average about 77 km/l on the highway at about 100 km/h. I got about 105 km/l one hot day on the Tulameen gravel.

I did a trip into Vancouver to look at Zero electric motorcycles. I had two opportunities to find out my ABS still works. I don't like big cities. The Zero is similar to a Forza in that it has limited range and no shifting. The hours and hours of charging time would make the Zero a slow long distance travel bike. I want one.

My Forza is very directionally challenged. I was at Starbucks in Hope and decided to get groceries across the road at Save-on Foods. I turned left and stopped at the 4000 foot Zopkios brake check before heading down the hill to Save-on. It took almost an hour to get across the street and my fuel dropped a bit also.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

davenowherejones wrote: I got 95.2 km/liter while on the gravel roads from Merritt to Tulameen. I average about 77 km/l on the highway at about 100 km/h. I got about 105 km/l one hot day on the Tulameen gravel.
Is this correct :o
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

DAB wrote:
davenowherejones wrote: I got 95.2 km/liter while on the gravel roads from Merritt to Tulameen. I average about 77 km/l on the highway at about 100 km/h. I got about 105 km/l one hot day on the Tulameen gravel.
Is this correct :o
Yes, you need to go slow on a hot day to get great fuel usage.

So what do others get?
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User

Your average is 800km per tank? :?
Salsbury
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

E. Foster Salsbury wrote:Your average is 800km per tank? :?
I only wish! You have caught me in a classic metric/imperial confusion. I must be going senile. I turned 60 and got stupid.

Change those numbers to miles per imperial gallon. Miles per USA gallon would be slightly smaller numbers.

I basically use km/liter on the scooter and calculate having a 10 litre tank to give me some reserve. I think the actual mpg calculated by the scooter is USA gallons.

I keep track of all expenses on a Numbers (Mac) spreadsheet. My 114,159 km ridden have cost me $17,495.90 (Canadian dollars) so far providing I have no seniors moments in my spreadsheet. Insurance $1690 alone. Fuel $5101.90. Used slightly wrecked Forza $3500. $8204 for helmets, gloves, tires, repairs, parts, speeding ticket.

I would like to find a big mistake in my spreadsheet but I think my fun has cost me over $17,000 so far.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I am going back to bed. My calculator no longer works. I quit. Ignore the above.

I am dyslexic and have suffered way too many head injuries.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I want to go on a long trip in September to Alberta.

The tire I used for the Yukon is almost worn out.

I am trying to wear it down so that I can change it before I go.

It won't wear down!!!

I went to Kamloops yesterday, 400 km and almost no wear on the tire.

I need to work today and to change my front fender mounted LED lights. One no longer works and the other cycles through flashing, low, high beam. The one flashing light is confusing people.

I might go to Kelowna tomorrow to wear the tire some more. Any excuse not to work. And maybe another city starting with K on Sunday. Suggestions?