So I completely screwed up and stripped the oil bolt housing

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red white

Re: So I completely screwed up and stripped the oil bolt hou

Post by relic »

If you can find someone to help you flip the bike upside down like we used to do when we were kids and epoxy the broken parts together with something like
JB weld for aluminum,use brake clean and emery cloth first to ensure adhesion, kind of haywire but what the f
if it works-great-if not -well it sounds like you're at the end of the rope anyway.
Like pcx man said the the broken piece of the housing would help.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:One option could be a replacement engine from a breaker if you have such a thing. Or eBay.
Labour would be much less for an engine swap.

x2.

Then you can strip the original for spares or attempt a repair. Or even sell it on.
Newsasquatch
Regular User
Regular User
Year: N/A
Color: N/A

Post by Newsasquatch »

pcx man wrote:I would put it back together with the broken piece of the housing. I use liquid steel epoxy and glue it together. That epoxy is good stuff.
Thats a really good last resort option. I think I might do that. I'd like to know if other people have done that with success though.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Newsasquatch wrote:
pcx man wrote:I would put it back together with the broken piece of the housing. I use liquid steel epoxy and glue it together. That epoxy is good stuff.
Thats a really good last resort option. I think I might do that. I'd like to know if other people have done that with success though.
Its almost impossible to get it oil tight.
I did it once on a bike I had crashed and ripped the oil pressure switch out, tearing off a small piece of the thread hole in the casing.
Oil persistently leaked out, not much but enough to be a problem, so it got cleaned up and traded in at an unsuspecting dealer.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
HondaC110
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: Bronze

Post by HondaC110 »

FWIW, I've had consistently good luck with JB Weld. At this point it might be worth a try if you have all the chunks.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Picture will help with solutions
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

With all due respect to gn2 he was dealing with a pressurized oil gallery, not so in your case.
I know I sound a little goofy suggesting flipping the bike upside down,but the location of the plug makes things difficult,gravity is going to make the process of
getting everything clean and oil free difficult. Cleanliness is a top priority here-nothing will adhere to a surface with oil on it.
If you do manage to get the bike upside down-no gas in the the tank-you might be able to convince a top notch tig welder to have a look.
But I'm pretty sure they will tell you they don't want to go near the alloy these cases are manufactured with.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

I have had remarkable luck with a product called Pig Putty. I ran into it 35 years ago in an industrial situation. It is a two part solid epoxy that kneads into a form-able solid adhesive that can actually take threads. It will also put up with a bit of oil (one of its selling points was as an emergency repair material for diesel trucks if they got a bit of a leak in a fuel tank or line). Seriously clean would obviously be better, mind you.

I can't guarantee that it would work in your situation, but you wouldn't have to put the scoot on its head to do the repair. If you are totally up against the wall, you sort of have nothing to loose.

https://www.amazon.com/New-Pig-PM50171- ... ial&sr=1-4
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Certainly worth spending some time laying next to your scooter, spraying and cleaning all oil with de-greaser and dish soap and hot water until sqeaky clean. Invest an hour or two or three with this cleaning.
Butter up the plug and broken piece with that metal epoxy. Fit it all together. Let set ......wait.
Refill with oil - see what happens.
If you can post some clear photos - repair tips might improve.
Fish
luciddream2
Color: RED

Post by luciddream2 »

Just some input here from my personal experience. I too stripped an oil drain plug once upon a time, but on my ATV. I used JB Weld. Not the JB Kwik Weld, but the regular JB Weld, it's better than the kiwk. It leaks a very tiny amount, but not enough that I have ever had to add oil and that was years ago. Still riding the ATV to this day. I siphon the oil out for oil changes.