Planetary Weather Question

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Planetary Weather Question

Post by Old Grinner »

From where you are standing on this ball of mass in space is there anything that seems unusual in the weather lately? If you are older like me it may make more sense. But I'll start and say the wind is becoming more regular. Not too many calm days anymore in my region when you can put the paper plates and cups on a picnic table and not expect them to blow away. Generally it's a pain in the neck. I won't start on the rain. :roll:

Feel free to chime in on something that seems more irritating in your regular weather that you don't remember it being like when you were growing up.

I'm thinking the effects of "Global Warming" are in everybody's back yard.

Here's some categories:

1) Too much wind too often.

2) Too much rain too often.

3) Not enough rain anymore . . . not like it used to be. Concerns about periods of drought now.

4) More humid and hot than usual.

5) More hot and dry than usual.

6) More cold in Winter with less snow.

7) More cold in Winter with more snow.

8 ) Less cold in Winter with less snow.

9) Less cold in Winter with more snow and rain/ice mixed in.

10) More erratic weather with periods of hot and cold when it should be more cold or more hot regularly.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Planetary Weather Question

Post by Mel46 »

I did not grow up where I am living now, but I have traveled the world. Every place that I have been in the past has much more violent weather now.

Many of these places had generally the same weather patterns year after year, until recent times. How many typhoons has Hawaii seen in the last 5 years?? I spent 2 years there without a single bad day... in the seventies.

I grew up in Nebraska. Winters were cold but we didn't have tornadoes in the entire time I was there. Now, hmmm... Tornado Alley.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Year: 2018
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Post by Cube »

It snowed several inches in Denver last night. Not entirely unheard of, but certainly not usual.
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Hey it’s God’s weather & the earth is merely a minuscule spec in the universe. But it’s where I live for the time being - so I’m all for good weather here.
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

[youtube]ZmqdRyhAdOc&list=RDZmqdRyhAdOc&start_radio[/youtube]Lost in the bloodstream?

Is this the vid Relic? WN
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

I think we are just lost in the bloodstream
Do you think all those carbon molecules care who releases them?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Old saying: if you don't like the weather in Scotland, wait fifteen minutes.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Haha, South Florida 5 less. Sayin' goes, "if you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes."
Teehee, I'm out the door, meet me
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Relic - that was a heavy song. 8)

One of my favorites from the "Guess Who" is "Hand Me Down World". Awesome! :D

And the stick around for a few minutes thing to see the weather change has also made it to New England as well. . . just ask Mark Twain. ;)

And Twain also noted "Climate is what we expect, weather is what we get." :lol:

On another note, too much groundwater can eventually lead to stuff like this . . . another kind of erosion.

Makes you just want to blurt out "Go ahead . . . make my day". :o o_O :? :roll:

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I am going to guess that too little ground water leads to sinkholes?? Well, whatever is causing it, Florida has a lot of them.

I don't think I would be very happy if my house was swallowed up, and the insurance company bulked at paying for the loss.

...and then there are all those major floods because of the melting snow up there in the central part of the United States. We need to move that water to where there isn't enough. Hmmm... rich farm land in the desert, perhaps??
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

am going to guess that too little ground water leads to sinkholes?? Well, whatever is causing it, Florida has a lot of them.

I don't think I would be very happy if my house was swallowed up, and the insurance company bulked at paying for the loss.

...and then there are all those major floods because of the melting snow up there in the central part of the United States. We need to move that water to where there isn't enough. Hmmm... rich farm land in the desert, perhaps??
I heard western Florida has a lot of sink holes.

There's a lot of limestone under Florida.

I feel sorry for those folks in the mid west right now. So many tornadoes, yet it's only May. And the rain? What's up with that? Flooding like it's biblical proportions.

Not too long ago there was a big "to do" about 2012 coming. Well the world didn't end but wow are things changing environmentally.

The new mantra should be:

Save the planet . . . ride a scooter!!! :D
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Here in Florida the weather patterns have definitely changed.. In May we are hitting 95 and that usually doesn't happen until June , and last year being a boater I noticed that the summer monsoon rains would start earlier in the day like 12 noonish instead of 4 oclock ish. Something is going on. Global warming..mostlikely but I am not of the belief that man is the cause of any global fluctuations.There is plenty of evidence that Mother Earth has been doing this for eons. Cold and warm cycles are a natural phenomena . Go ahead its ok to use that spray can of paint .. The cow farts are what will get ya !!! LOL
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Here in Florida the weather patterns have definitely changed.. In May we are hitting 95 and that usually doesn't happen until June , and last year being a boater I noticed that the summer monsoon rains would start earlier in the day like 12 noonish instead of 4 oclock ish. Something is going on. Global warming..mostlikely but I am not of the belief that man is the cause of any global fluctuations.There is plenty of evidence that Mother Earth has been doing this for eons. Cold and warm cycles are a natural phenomena . Go ahead its ok to use that spray can of paint .. The cow farts are what will get ya !!! LOL
In the early '70s I went on a vacation in May with my parents to Daytona. The "Love Bugs" were flying around and pasting all the cars, trucks, and buses. The Portuguese "Man-of-War" jelly fish were drifting onto the beach like inflated baggies. I got a custom T-Shirt at the "Rat's Hole" and saw a bunch of cool stuff that week.

As you say around 4:00PM in the afternoon I remember pelicans flying along the beach contrasted to the darkening horizon and the occasional showers.

You are right about cow farts and their release of methane gas . . .. I think termites contribute as well.

That said . . . it took a long time for the life on earth to process the carbon from the atmosphere and eventually let it lie in the ground. Things changed over time and as ice ages came and went so did volcanoes. What is happening today is we are removing the carbon (fossil fuels) from the ground and putting it back into the atmosphere again and gradually working our way back to a dinosaur age climate. The "Green House Effect" is for real.

In addition to the natural producers of methane, there are a lot of chemicals that we've created over time that are extremely small in molecular structure and can have adverse effects on life. They can collect in our tissue or vascular systems and cause damage over time. There is still a huge need for scientific studies and new pollution regulations world wide.

Bottom line is we breath what we burn.

Check out this video if you have time . . . informative and worth a look for sure.

The nice thing about riding scooters is they are much more environmentally friendly in both production and use compared to larger vehicles. Plus it builds character when you ride them in adverse weather . . .. :lol:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Considering the heat that is coming earlier and earlier, I think someone needs to invent air conditioning for scooters... maybe an air conditioner for some kind of riding suit. It can't be as big as those suits the astronauts wore though. Something that sticks a small hose under your jacket perhaps?

So everyone get your thinking caps out and come up with something to keep us cool while riding!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Wear light colored mesh, ride early, or later.
If you can't do that - hydrate and ....remember the rule about whining.
Fish
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

infographic2_r2_c2.png
infographic2_r2_c2.png (8.19 KiB) Viewed 726 times
In addition to the natural producers of methane, there are a lot of chemicals that we've created over time that are extremely small in molecular structure and can have adverse effects on life. They can collect in our tissue or vascular systems and cause damage over time. There is still a huge need for scientific studies and new pollution regulations world wide.

Bottom line is we breath what we burn.

Check out this video if you have time . . . informative and worth a look for sure.

Very informative video.. Thanks.Perhaps mankind is responsible for what is termed today as pollution , but Mother Earth thinks of it as a normal change or a cycle of life.Are we in fact in a state of change , adaptation, evolution ?? Mother earth produced us and we produced or rather modified its chemicals to produce food and energy for our lifestyles. Will we perish like the Dinos? or will we prevail despite our ingenious use of its resources.Perhaps its not the green house gasses that will get us but rather the population explosion.. Man is adapting rapidly as evidenced by the below chart and Mother Earth will prevail and determine its outcome. We humans have only been around for 10,000 years and are only in the infant stages as compared to the 150 million years the dinos ruled the planet. We have a long way to go so its either adapt or perish.Despite our efforts to pollute mankind is flourishing and rapidly expanding. Perhaps its part of a bigger plan??
PS The chart above shows life expectancy starting from 1800 to now.. Bottom 1800 top 2019. Man is living longer in years
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

PS The chart above shows life expectancy starting from 1800 to now.. Bottom 1800 top 2019. Man is living longer in years
My goal is to live to 105 . . . but I'll settle for 100.

Every Holiday I tell myself "This will be the last big splash for bacon, sausage, and pork".

Oh . . . and did I forget cheese? :roll: :lol: ;)