Just started scooting.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Re: Just started scooting.

Post by sendler2112 »

I guess we should all just give up on energy conservation and drive army tanks to work.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I get those shoulder passers while doing a left on a 50 mph road into my neighborhood. It's a WTF moment. The guy right behind the passer is the guy that may get you.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

You might have to stop being nice by getting to the left and just stop (early and gently) in the whole lane so that there is no way for them to even think about going up the shoulder.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

sendler2112 wrote:You might have to stop being nice by getting to the left and just stop (early and gently) in the whole lane so that there is no way for them to even think about going up the shoulder.
Wow, you must drive in a very nice state :D .

That earlier comment about driving to work in tanks might not be a joke if you actually experience how aggressive some drivers can be.

I personally witnessed one car in front of me that signaled a lane change for one second, then proceeded to barrel into the right lane where there was already a car occupying the space. That car swerved slightly to his right and got on his brakes too, thus narrowly avoiding being hit.

I figure:
A) The first car didn't do a head check.
B) He saw the car, but simply expected the other guy to get out of his way.

Deliberately getting in the way of a 3000lbs car that you know is trying to pass you while you're sitting on a 300 lbs scooter definitely qualifies as a wholehearted effort in getting nominated for the Darwin award.

When riding, I generally try to stay diagonal from all cars in the event one of them changes lane without signaling. I also try to leave adequate space in front of me for that reason. Not because I'm trying to be considerate, but there are some real fruitloops behind the wheel, and I wouldn't put it past anyone to try and change lanes into the exact spot I'm riding in.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

You just have to always be aware of an exit route. Which is why I'd prefer to stay on a lane with a shoulder if possible. Barreling down an urban street on my commute with almost no exit route, I always have one thumb ready to honk the horn and the throttle hand ready to grab the brake. Ultimately, we're responsible for our own safety.

I have to tell you though that nothing gets me more nervous than a tailgater. I had one on a 6 lane road, when we stopped at a light I turned back to the lady motioning her to give me more space. Thankfully she changed lanes and found someone with more protection to tailgate. Another coming home at night on a 2 lane road, a minivan was tailgating me. I was doing 58 in a 60. I was scared, I didn't know whether I should pull aside and let the guy pass, or continue going as there the road opened up to 4 lanes in a km. Which is what I did. He punched the throttle and passed me as soon as I got into the right lane, only to have me kinda catch up to him at the next red light. I laid off the throttle and rolled along 10km/h for what seemed like an eternity to avoid stopping next to him. I just got bad vibes from this guy.

Aggressive drivers make up 2% from what I counted. A majority of drivers are respectful of me. And you will meet aggressive drivers everywhere, even on city streets.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dkazzed »

Also, our provincial motor vehicle act states that no one is permitted to pass anyone from the right if there is not an actual lane there marked by a broken white line, unless to pass a person making a left turn when there is adequate room and it is safe to do so. I was overtaken on a shoulder once, and on a parking lane three times. If the parking lane was marked with a broken white line with parking restrictions during rush hour to permit the travel of vehicles, sure go ahead and pass me there.

Also, passing someone turning left to the right is void by a shoulder going further into the motor vehicle act. No one is permitted to use the shoulder except bicycles or for emergency pullover purposes.

Of course laws vary by province and state.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dkazzed »

Valiant wrote:
ckosio wrote:VALIANT, Where can I buy these parts?? Parts number for PCX150...Sorry for asking too much.
Here they are:
http://www.corsportusa.com/2010-honda-p ... on-pulley/
http://www.corsportusa.com/2010-honda-p ... rive-face/
http://www.corsportusa.com/2010-honda-p ... ights-13g/

The drive face may be backordered just about everywhere, but it's recommended you wait for it if you can.

If the general traffic speed(not the speed limit) is in a 50-70mph range, I figure you'll be just fine. With uphill you'll either be going 65 on a small grade or 55 on a large grade hill. My worse experience would be getting bogged down to about 51 mph on a moderately steep hill combined with lots of headwind.

I personally found the PCX to be quite adequate for 99% of my use, but as noted, you'll have no reserve as you'll need to go full throttle in order to keep up with other traffic past 60 mph.
I'm going to keep this saved in my notes for when it comes time to get a bit more speed midrange speed when if I decided on the PCX. Would a Dr Pulley 20x15 13g slider work as well?

I just noticed the bolded portion, exactly what I needed to see.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

dkazzed wrote: I'm going to keep this saved in my notes for when it comes time to get a bit more speed midrange speed when if I decided on the PCX. Would a Dr Pulley 20x15 13g slider work as well?

I just noticed the bolded portion, exactly what I needed to see.
The word is that the Dr Pulley sliders don't work well with coated variators like the NCY. There are also potential issues with using the sliders with a variator that already puts the belt out to extreme limits(like the Yuminashi variator), which causes the belt to rub against the case.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Oh they aren't allowed to pass on the shoulder here either legally. :lol: :lol: :lol: Doesn't even slow them down sometimes. We are just worrying about surviving. :x
dkazzed wrote:Also, our provincial motor vehicle act states that no one is permitted to pass anyone from the right if there is not an actual lane there marked by a broken white line, unless to pass a person making a left turn when there is adequate room and it is safe to do so. I was overtaken on a shoulder once, and on a parking lane three times. If the parking lane was marked with a broken white line with parking restrictions during rush hour to permit the travel of vehicles, sure go ahead and pass me there.

Also, passing someone turning left to the right is void by a shoulder going further into the motor vehicle act. No one is permitted to use the shoulder except bicycles or for emergency pullover purposes.

Of course laws vary by province and state.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dkazzed »

Valiant wrote: The word is that the Dr Pulley sliders don't work well with coated variators like the NCY. There are also potential issues with using the sliders with a variator that already puts the belt out to extreme limits(like the Yuminashi variator), which causes the belt to rub against the case.
Ah, so either one or the other. You're pretty happy with your setup so far? You haven't put a longer final gear yet right?
SECoda wrote:Oh they aren't allowed to pass on the shoulder here either legally. Doesn't even slow them down sometimes. We are just worrying about surviving.
Nope. You get all sorts of folks with little disregard to the law and/or their surroundings. Guys treating residential streets as a drag strip. People rolling through stop signs. Ignoring school and park zones.

Oh yea I had a guy pass me to the right in a 30km/h school zone using a drop off lane, so make that 5. When I caught up with him, I lividly unloaded on him, without swearing I must add. I have two kids so I take the issue very personally.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Swearing? Here we all conceal carry so folks know (or force themselves) to stay cool but there always idiots. I had a pirate on a Harley do it one time and he nearly wiped out on the shoulder loaded with gravel. All I could do was laugh.
forza300
Regular User
Regular User

Post by forza300 »

Hi all. You reminded me of a time i shredded a belt when riding.

I was in Vietnam (Yamaha Nuovo) going along a street I know well in Nha Trang. Probably 50km/h and suddenly lots of rattling/noise from the tranny but no forward motion.

Anyway, pulls over, checks the bike. Nothing visible. Starts up again, throttles and lots of rattling but no go.

So, pushes the bike about 50 meters (literally) to the repair shop (one of every street corner just about). Leaves it with him and pops across the road for a coffee (one or more on every street corner too).

The bloke took a look, whipped off the casing, changed for a new belt and handed me a pile of stringy looking rubber parts that apparently used to be the drive belt. Quite amazing. I think the bike had 40-50,000k on the clock so probably the original belt finally disintegrating.

Anyways, Off I go after parting with (I can't remember but maybe around $10).

Takes the bike back to the rental place and hands them the old belt. Shit happens. :D

Anyways, bloke was happy the bike had a new belt and frankly I don't give a crap. All part of the fun in VN. It made no difference to my day, the bloke I know at the rental shop got a new belt on his bike and the repair industry is still going strong. :D

Just thought I might share that episode.

Even a belt disintegrating won't kill an engine. And in VN they service NOTHING until it breaks. Trust me on that one.
------------------------
pepito86
Year: 2016
Color: Red

Post by pepito86 »

I would not dare to ride the pcx on the 91 fwy at all.... but that's just me