Riding assisted motorcycles...

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Riding assisted motorcycles...

Post by homie »

WHY!waste of technology

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: Riding assisted motorcycles...

Post by WhiteNoise »

Watched it.
Firstly - what the heck! How'd "they" do that? And why?
Yeah ok, something about our riding their BMW safely but really? more about BMW being ahead of the game. But What game? More like Solataire. Well, that's how I see the big picture. Okay by me. Being ahead has always been. That's Life

Secondly, and for all that's good....stop going round in circles and get on that horse! (I seen them saddlebags :D
"Look Mama, No Hands!" (or feet, or body or...nuttin' honey).

Wait. Could it be a remotely controlled toy? BLOWN up for our viewing pleasure all purdy 'n dressed. Awesome!

Next...
Revell plastic model (with glue, motor and remote) next Santa day!

I'll keep yas posted ;) :lol:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Oh, never mind.
I thought it said "Riding sissy motorcycles"....

Fish
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

BMW took a lot of flack because their Public Relations Dept did a lousy job explaining WHY they did this. The engineers explained that with the intro of 5G communication for industrial devices, the use of gyros and ECU's can become far more efficient for accident avoidance and behavior in an accident. Do a google search....

“Riding a motorcycle is one of life's great pleasures, but unfortunately it does come with its share of risks. Many of those risks are being mitigated by new safety equipment such as lean-sensitive ABS and advanced traction control but life on two wheels is still miles away from what advanced driver assistance systems on modern cars are capable of.

BMW Motorrad, ever the driver of technology, is working to change that and in the process of doing so, they made a motorcycle that can drive itself. Now, don't get too excited because BMW's end goal isn't to put self-riding motorcycles on the road, this is just an exercise in developing systems to help mitigate the risk caused by inattentive riders. Still though, it's a little freaky to see a loaded R1200GS riding around a track with nobody on it.”

BMW seems to feel that it's close to being able to equip its bikes with things like automatic emergency braking and active lane-keep assist which could be neat from a technical perspective. However, as someone that rides a motorcycle in traffic on a near-daily basis, the idea that someone is inattentive on a motorcycle to the point where the machine would need to intervene is totally counter to the basic tenets of safe (and fun) motorcycling.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I could see where if you were riding one of those and it got a mind of it's own to suddenly bank right and brake hard it could throw you right off the saddle. . ..

Sort of reminds me of my Tyco electric radio control Jeremy McGrath dirt bike . . .. Now that is worthwhile! :D
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

If you're going to make an autonomous vehicle you don't build an unstable one then add expensive stabilization kit.
This is just an exercise in "because we can".
But bad news for BMW, Honda did it first, but with one key difference, the Honda tech can balance the bike when stationary.
More work needed from BMW to eliminate their version's sidestand.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

About the only thing that I could see a usefulness for on a motorcycle is self-balancing. Most of us don't need that, but new riders do. In the first month that my wife was getting use to her scooter, she dropped it several times because she couldn't balance the bike on the balls of her feet when stopped. (I solved that problem by purchasing her some boots with really, really tall soles and heels. Bulky, but they work.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers