Where did my oil go?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

masator
Year: 2018
Color: Red

Re: Where did my oil go?

Post by masator »

you you wrote:
masator wrote:Is it normal for the bike to burn oil during the break in period? The reason I'm asking is that when I took it from the shop and driven 80 miles, it was way above the maximum. I have taken out 0.7dl (less than 10%) and checked the level again, it was showing a little bit over the maximum. One day later was also showing a little bit above the maximum. However, 3 days later, it is between the minimum and the middle on the stick. Is it possible that the oil is being burnt? There is definitely no leak.

Are you leaving the same amount of time between switching off the engine and checking the oil on each check. The reason why I'm asking is that it takes a little time for residual oil to return to the sump.
Yes, I wait exactly 2 minutes each time. I was surprised that it was overfilled at the factory but again, maybe they know that it will be burnt.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

masator wrote:Is it normal for the bike to burn oil during the break in period? The reason I'm asking is that when I took it from the shop and driven 80 miles, it was way above the maximum. I have taken out 0.7dl (less than 10%) and checked the level again, it was showing a little bit over the maximum. One day later was also showing a little bit above the maximum. However, 3 days later, it is between the minimum and the middle on the stick. Is it possible that the oil is being burnt? There is definitely no leak.
It can blow overfilled oil out the breather. You might want to check your air filter and see if it is oil fouled.
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: red

Post by cnikonpete »

The official Honda method is to run the engine for at least 3 minutes,then let it sit for 4. Checking mine after 600 mile service my usual way,cold engine,flat surface it was about 1/8 inch over full. Tried it their way,spot on.
Must be to do with the tiny amount of oiil I suppose,but it seems counterintuitive to start engine beforehand.
One thing of note,if the filler/dipstick cap isn’t screwed fully home and tight,oil will get past the o ring,usually ending up as spots on the silencer.
cstruck
Year: 2017
Color: white

Post by cstruck »

I had the same problem with mine, found out that I had cross threaded the dipstick. The dipstick wouldn't go back in the proper way so I bought a half round file and filed the threads on the dipstick with the edge of the file to remove the upset part.