Scooter scene in Mexico

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Scooter scene in Mexico

Post by 87112 »

I am planning to retire in Mexico, my pension and SS is not enough to have a nice lifestyle in America.
Going to get about $2,700 dollars monthly combined. Thats just scrapping by in Expensive Seattle where rent is about 1,300 to 1,500 a month.
So my plan is now to move to Tijuana or the areas right below.
My number 1 love is my Forza, will I be able to bring it down there? Is there even a scooter scene there? I have been to Tijuana many times and have never seen a 300cc class scooter ridden there. I I have only seen the 50-150cc sized one.
Its a few years away for me in retirement, going to soak up all of the my remaining years in America.
:geek:
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Scooter scene in Mexico

Post by Old Grinner »

Medicare will take some additional money out of your SS as well. Plus there are supplemental insurance plans that the industry pushes hard on to sell to retirees who feel they will fall short in their needs with the basic government plan. It's a personal choice of course but at the end of the day do your homework before you go off into your new life adventure.

Riding the Forza could be better than retirement counseling. We live in the "Now".

There are other states that have cheaper costs of living too.

Look around. And good luck . . . really!

Having fishing as a hobby could be a plus for free food. :D

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

One of the things that you will need to understand about where you would like to live in Mexico is that everyone is very poor, which you knew. However, you need to understand it.

If you have something that no one else has there, you will need to protect it from those who want it. If there are any drug lords or dealers there, and they see your 300 cc scooter as an advantageous means of transportation, you will need to protect it from them. Good luck with that.

You will also need to be fluent in their language. There won't be anyone to come to your rescue. That means that if you need the police, guess who is going to call them? Guess who may be one of the few in town who have a phone?

What about clean water? We have ALL heard the saying not to drink their water.

If you are injured and need medical assistance, where is the nearest good hospital? Can you easily get there? What is the rating of that facility by the inhabitants in that region?

There are better parts of Mexico that have more services and would be much better suited for retirement. Americans have retired in those places already. Investigate these other options.

Also, there are many states in the USA that have a much lower cost of living, especially the South. Investigate those too. They may be a better choice.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

I agree with Mel. I drove into Tijuana once. Only time in my life that I have been scared of my surroundings - I turned round and drove back over the border within an hour! Many reasonable places to go in Mexico. Tijuana would be the last place in the country that I would consider! :)
NADman
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by NADman »

Tijuana would be the last place in ANY country that I would consider!

Seattle-Heaven
Tijuana-Hell
Lots of other choices.
Your life is worth more more than a couple of bucks.
He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. -Winston S. Churchill.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

I thought the advantages of Oregon and California was that higher tax rates were to pay for great benefits and services for retirees and other folks who’s income was a bit on the low side. Are you sure there are no other options there ?
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Yep, get away from the crazy Left Coast. Live better for less.
Go to Mexico only if you're a wanted man in this country. If so, tell them you're a "made man" and join a gang down there with good benefits.

See if you can find an American expat living happily in Mexico....yours might be a pipe dream, or worse - dangerous.

Maybe look overseas. Europe, not Asia. Better eats.
Fish
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

Wow. I never knew so many have a bad impression of Tijuana. TJ reminds me of the poorer cities in China. Tons of streetlife, sidewalk food, noisy and hetic. There are some nicer areas where expats live. I like the city because San Diego is next door and there are places to buy Asian groceries there. I do have a small inheritance that will allow me to cash out a home in the South or Southwest USA and that is a consideration still. I would not want to move back to my native Hong Kong. Its astronomical for hosing costs there. Europe where its affordable is too cold and gray for me. Living in Seattle for over 35 years this body does not want more clouds and rain.
:geek:
Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2016 - 125cc
Color: White (NHA16)

Post by Ganglylamb »

87112 wrote:Europe where its affordable is too cold and gray for me.
Hmm, there are places in Europe that have 300 plus days cataloged as "sunshine days" a year - the region of Malaga for example in Spain. My parents bought a house there: nice and quiet on a hill overlooking lake Vinuela, with their own swimming pool etc. for a mere 150 000 €. So it is cheap, sunny and warm (maybe too warm in the summer even) and also cheap to live (food etc. does not cost much). Could be a good alternative if you are thinking Mexico as you are already Spanish oriented :).
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Ganglylamb wrote:
Hmm, there are places in Europe that have 300 plus days cataloged as "sunshine days" a year - the region of Malaga for example in Spain. My parents bought a house there: nice and quiet on a hill overlooking lake Vinuela, with their own swimming pool etc. for a mere 150 000 €. So it is cheap, sunny and warm (maybe too warm in the summer even) and also cheap to live (food etc. does not cost much). Could be a good alternative if you are thinking Mexico as you are already Spanish oriented :).

Don’t tell everyone, that’s my dream
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

you you wrote:
Ganglylamb wrote:

Don’t tell everyone, that’s my dream
Does this mean that the centre of the universe could be about to move :o . Will it cause a disturbance in the cosmos?. better let NASA know eh. ;)
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Read this thread from an expat in Portugal. That should give you a better understanding of weather in that part of the world...and Portugal is next door to Spain, so much of what applies to one applies to the other.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8448
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers