Not going out in the rain anymore on my PCX.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gregsta
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: red

Not going out in the rain anymore on my PCX.

Post by gregsta »

As some of you might know I recently bought a brand new Hond pcx 125cc the new model with the ABS.
I crashed my old 2014 plate and wrote it off. The value of the repairs was more than the bike was worth and just because of how much money it has cost me to put on the road I just can't afford to skid the bike in the rain and crash it.

Another crash is going to put my insurance sky high. I went out in the rain today and nearly pooed my pants.

The crash has really turned me into a buddle of nerves in the rain. And I would take my old PCX out in anything a part from snow.

I want to get winter tyres but a mate of mine said he paid 200 for his on his CBR and said it was a waste of money.

I thought this bike would be different and I would feel safer it's more poker but top end is about the same the abs are amazing so responsive.

I still love going out in the dry and nearly ended up going over a bank when I first got my new one but just laughed it off what is strange , I am missing my screen as it makes it more easy to ride on a motorway but just no money in the pot.

So off to work on the train in the morning so no more rain or ice foe me.
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Re: Not going out in the rain anymore on my PCX.

Post by big bear »

you can ride in the rain but you have to go slower. Ice you should take the train
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by GatorGreg »

Agreed. This is why I don't ride in the rain - LOL. At least Marquez has the championship trophy to ease his pain after his nasty spill at Valencia yesterday.

Seriously though, I always check the forecast in the morning and if there's a decent chance of rain I always choose the cage. Far too dangerous in the rain with all the idiot drivers where I live, not to mention the slippery conditions on their own. I got caught in an unexpected storm on my way home from work recently and like you I nearly pooed my pants due to a near death experience with a late braking cager.
2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
gregsta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gregsta »

big bear wrote:you can ride in the rain but you have to go slower. Ice you should take the train

I do about a 40 mile round trip to work so already done over 200 miles on my bike in less than week. As only had the bike under week . And some of my jorney includes a short stretch of motorway.

I am a painter and decorator and in a few months time I will be local so it not for ever.
gregsta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gregsta »

GatorGreg wrote:Agreed. This is why I don't ride in the rain - LOL. At least Marquez has the championship trophy to ease his pain after his nasty spill at Valencia yesterday.

Seriously though, I always check the forecast in the morning and if there's a decent chance of rain I always choose the cage. Far too dangerous in the rain with all the idiot drivers where I live, not to mention the slippery conditions on their own. I got caught in an unexpected storm on my way home from work recently and like you I nearly pooed my pants due to a near death experience with a late braking cager.
Lol that was me a few weeks ago
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

GatorGreg wrote:Agreed. This is why I don't ride in the rain - LOL. At least Marquez has the championship trophy to ease his pain after his nasty spill at Valencia yesterday.

He wasn't the only one. Over 150 crashes over the weekend :lol:

Did you see him pop his dislocated shoulder back in in Q2? And then jump on his second bike. Incredible
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I've paid my dues riding in plenty of rain. ;)

I always slowed down for the wet rail road crossings, manhole covers, bridge expansion joints, or heavily traveled areas. . .especially in cities or around industrial areas where oil film builds up on the pavement.

But today there is just a lot more traffic . . . at least where I live . . . and with the density and congestion on the roads I just don't feel comfortable enough anymore to ride long distances in storms.

That said I'll do local errands where I can keep the speed under 40 MPH if it's raining lightly or just showers but will no longer head out on the open roads. . .or at at least what used to be open roads.

This morning I saw a statistic on a TV commercial that said my state had over 100,000 accidents on it's roads in 2017. Wow. . .. Be careful out there! :roll:
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

gregsta wrote:... I went out in the rain today and nearly pooed my pants.

The crash has really turned me into a buddle of nerves in the rain. And I would take my old PCX out in anything a part from snow.

I want to get winter tyres but a mate of mine said he paid 200 for his on his CBR and said it was a waste of money. ...
And it always takes a few storms to wash the oil and rubber off of the roadways, so it's extra treacherous for bikes. (Maybe Stowmarket is rainy all year?) I used to ride my bicycle year round here in Northern Colorado, but a few years ago I realized that I really wasn't enjoying it any more in the rain. Everything gets slimy and gritty from the road gunk. And the car drivers are already distracted enough -- I don't need to become another statistic.

I don't know what tires come stock on the '19, but the IRCs on my '15 gave me no confidence on wet pavement. I just got some new Michelin City Grips and have only had a few dry rides but my past experience with Michelins has been very good on wet pavement.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Old Grinner wrote:I've paid my dues riding in plenty of rain. ;)

I always slowed down for the wet rail road crossings, manhole covers, bridge expansion joints, or heavily traveled areas. . .especially in cities or around industrial areas where oil film builds up on the pavement.

But today there is just a lot more traffic . . . at least where I live . . . and with the density and congestion on the roads I just don't feel comfortable enough anymore to ride long distances in storms.

That said I'll do local errands where I can keep the speed under 40 MPH if it's raining lightly or just showers but will no longer head out on the open roads. . .or at at least what used to be open roads.

This morning I saw a statistic on a TV commercial that said my state had over 100,000 accidents on it's roads in 2017. Wow. . .. Be careful out there! :roll:

No need, I don't go to your State.
gregsta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gregsta »

Eiron wrote:

I want to get winter tyres but a mate of mine said he paid 200 for his on his CBR and said it was a waste of money. ...
And it always takes a few storms to wash the oil and rubber off of the roadways, so it's extra treacherous for bikes. (Maybe Stowmarket is rainy all year?) I used to ride my bicycle year round here in Northern Colorado, but a few years ago I realized that I really wasn't enjoying it any more in the rain. Everything gets slimy and gritty from the road gunk. And the car drivers are already distracted enough -- I don't need to become another statistic.

I don't know what tires come stock on the '19, but the IRCs on my '15 gave me no confidence on wet pavement. I just got some new Michelin City Grips and have only had a few dry rides but my past experience with Michelins has been very good on wet pavement.
The new 2019 comes with Michelin City Grip fitted as stock, but my 2014 pcx that I slid had Michelin City Grip fitted, I was told by the dealer that the ABS should help this kind of skid happening but he could not guarante that it would totally stop prevent it. The tyres are wider now and the rims are larger but it's because the bike is wider.
gregsta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gregsta »

Eiron wrote:

It does not rain much here in stowmarket only on off in winter and summer we can go months without rain so happy days because public transport sucks. I have not used public transport for years now and it not very good but it will do.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Crashed old bike in the wet - then nearly over a bank with the new ?
Living in the U.K. - seems you night get caught out in the wet on any given ride.
Can't be much fun on two wheels for you....and you're correct - there aren't any magic tires which will overcome sketchy habbits.
So, maybe time for a refresher rider's course?

Fish
gregsta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gregsta »

fish wrote:Crashed old bike in the wet - then nearly over a bank with the new ?
Living in the U.K. - seems you night get caught out in the wet on any given ride.
Can't be much fun on two wheels for you....and you're correct - there aren't any magic tires which will overcome sketchy habbits.

Fish
I probably will ride it in the rain locally but just not long distances and the bank things was my first day riding my new PCX I was having fun on my new bike. I am very a careful rider. I only took a turn in the road and the bike slid out on me and I was not going fast.I took the turn the same way I had a 100 time before, so why this time it slid I don't know but it was raining. It was on a min roundabout going left. Maybe I hit the front break to hard maybe it was oil, but I will never know.
gregsta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gregsta »

fish wrote:Crashed old bike in the wet - then nearly over a bank with the new ?

Fish
Their was some building work going near me a few years ago and the builders diggers had left some mud and stones on the roads once again I was going slow I braked and nearly slid on it, but I manged to stop it sliding away from me. This was my first Pcx and once again it was winter maybe the new ABS might stop this hench why I bought the new one but at the moment I just can't afford to find out.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

No need, I don't go to your State.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

If you ever do may the Force be with you!

At around 6:50 you can see where Katherine Hepburn used to live. I live within walking distance to all this stuff. Used to play the golf course up until college. . .then I lost interest. Still have my clubs though.

Cheers! :D

raito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Post by raito »

Lots of rain here, but good thing no snow. Fine for me.
Attachments
https://www.theglobaleconomy.com/rankings/precipitation/
https://www.theglobaleconomy.com/rankings/precipitation/
Screenshot_2018-11-21 Precipitation by country, around the world TheGlobalEconomy com.png (29.51 KiB) Viewed 1521 times
ImageImageImage
RikudoPCX
Year: 2016
Color: Red

Post by RikudoPCX »

Public transport sucks where I live and I'm always late so I tend to risk it most of the time. I'm usually more concerned with wind speeds where I live as they really affect the stability when riding on A-road above 40mph. Weather conditions are one of the biggest drawbacks using scooters, having a car to use on days like that would be handy. Guess you have to take the good with the bad. Filtering through traffic on Friday during rush hour is so worth it.
Riding a 2016 Honda PCX with 4000 miles (April 2018)
A moment of silence for those drivers still in traffic ...
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Been riding a '14 reg LED PCX for five years all year round, only missed 2 days so far due to heavy snow / ice, otherwise ridden in pouring rain, part flooded roads and even light snow. Just under four years of that was on original IRC's. I had the rear changed for a MCG around a year ago just because the tread was getting near minimum, otherwise the IRC's were fine in all weathers for me for a 9 mile across london commute.
Yesterday my bike passed it's MOT with no issues, still on the original front tyre having done near 18.000 miles and it still has about 2mm+ tread left (so will need replacing soon).
All I've changed so far is the rear tyre (once), oil, and front brake pads (once) - I have spare bits and the 'noisy rear drive' clutch parts to replace, but still using original air filter and plug at present.
The only issue with rain and dirty UK roads is how badly the underside of the bike suffers from all that crud, almost impossible to keep anywhere near clean.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

I should have added gregsta is that I'm very sorry you had a crash and are weary now of poor conditions - understandable and it's happened to someone I know on a few occasions (not bad accidents and not for a while).
One thing that's always said about such conditions, it that you are not supposed to brake hard or at all when approaching ice or oil and if possible 'ride over it' as you will probably slide or lock the wheel otherwise, but when such a thing presents itself, panic sets in and it's a very difficult position to find yourself in.