Where to hide battery powered GPS tracker on the bike?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

romnation
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Where to hide battery powered GPS tracker on the bike?

Post by romnation »

I currently have one of these which works out very well and only requires me to charge it about every 3 weeks or so.

https://www.amazon.com/XCSOURCE-PS110-G ... B01KX9HFWI

I need a location on the bike where it is easy to hide, but also still easy enough to access when it comes time to remove it for charging. Anyone have ideas?

Thanks
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Where to hide battery powered GPS tracker on the bike?

Post by Mel46 »

Have you taken your bike apart enough to be able to swap windshields? If so, take the windshield off. Then take the dash cover off. Under it you will see a huge somewhat empty cavern. Find a way to secure it there, such as in a bag that can be tied to the frame area that is visible.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Will it fit in the left side "glovebox"? If you could put a steel plate in the "roof" that this thing could stick to, It might not be very noticeable to someone not familiar with the machine, especially if you were somehow able to fair the front edge so the tracker was inset into the top.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
DushFernando92
Color: Pearl White

Post by DushFernando92 »

romnation wrote:I currently have one of these which works out very well and only requires me to charge it about every 3 weeks or so.

https://www.amazon.com/XCSOURCE-PS110-G ... B01KX9HFWI

I need a location on the bike where it is easy to hide, but also still easy enough to access when it comes time to remove it for charging. Anyone have ideas?

Thanks
I actually have one under the seat(left metal frame under the luggage).. but It is not box shaped like this, however I also have installed an alarm unit, it's attached to metal bar also, you can find a place under there, just remove the seat and the luggage box, you will find it out your own :)
Marko

Post by Marko »

I have fitted one of these (see link to Amazon below) through spark plug changing removable panel on the left side of the scooter. Remove the rubber mat, then one crew to remove. I put it in a zip lock plastic bag and fastened it with a cable tie. Drilled a small hole in the base of the battery box and connected to the battery.
Be aware the it will drain the battery if the scoot is not used regularly. My PCX is three and a half years old, on the original battery, so not sure how good it is. Use a trickle charger if you don't use regularly. Other wise it works very well.

http://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B078KTK ... UTF8&psc=1

It uses a phone SIM, call it, it hangs up after a couple of seconds, then sends you a text (SMS) with a link to Google maps.
Ex.Honda PCX 125, (Red 2012) Now PCX 150 (2015 Grey). Honda VFR V-TEC, Quadzilla (SMC) 300 XLC (quad bike), Yamaha YFM 350 Raptor Quad
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

If I were worried about my PCX, which I am not, I would think about getting one of these.

https://smile.amazon.com/Trak-4-Mobile- ... onthly+fee

It uses a 3G network, and you pay $5.99 per month on an annual basis ($71.88 Once a year).
The battery lasts up to a year without recharge. If/when you want to charge it, it uses a standard cellphone charger. It is in a weatherproof case too.

Of course, there are better ones out, so I would look at all of those available.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

As fun as it would be to track down and have some ne'er-do-well busted for theft if the precious was stolen I don't want her found.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Buy top of the line insurance. Full cvg. Fire n Theft. AKA comprehensive

Stolen? Fried? Dismembered, Totaled?
Next stop....delivery > A Spanky New One :D

That sounded easy. Might not be though. Each case different.
No doubt, Best Ins. Cvg. is our Best Choice

But, I'd still toss on a cover or a lock just to shut my other 1/2 brain up :lol:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I think that just about covers it. GPS locators are great, but once you find it you may not want it any more.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Oldie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 19 SH300
Color: Red

Post by Oldie »

Since July this year, all new UK Hondas come equipped with the latest fully monitored tracking devices, free of charge. However, you do have to pay approx. £100 / $130 annually for the monitoring service. You also have to request having it fitted, rather than Honda putting it on the bike automatically.

The system is hidden somewhere on the bike and continually advises the control centre where your bike is and what it's doing. If the bike moves more than about 100ys with the ignition off then you immediately receive a call from them to advise of a potential theft. They will try your home phone, cell phone, partner's phone, email etc until they get hold of you to confirm the situation. If stolen, they will liaise with the police to track and follow the bike. Just out of curiosity, I called the police dept. to check that this would actually happen in a real scenario and they said yes.

There are separate procedures to follow when the bike is being serviced or, for example, on a ferry (where movement is detected yet the engine is off). It will even detect a voltage drop on your battery, perhaps when someone is trying to disconnect the system. In fact, I recently attached a charging tail to my Forza and that involves disconnecting the battery terminals. The control centre called me immediately to find out what was going on! I should have used the App to temporarily cancel the warning.

The system also allows you to receive sms text messages any time the bike is moved even a few inches or, in my case, it would detect when anyone touched the bike and the key wasn't within range. It will also allow you to receive a warning if the bike is moved using the keys, but it isn't you doing the moving! (maybe you are on vacation and someone breaks in and steals your keys).

The App not only shows you where the bike is at any time but it also records every journey made and can include info on time, distance, avg speed, max speed (if you are happy to have this) and other data. You can view routes on Google maps, useful if you lend your bike to a friend and he comes back saying that he never took it above 50!!!! Yeah, sure.

All in all it's a great system and well worth the annual cost. Plus, recovery rates are well over 90% and the vast majority of bikes have suffered little or no damage.

Edit - and my insurance company loves it - gave me a decent additional discount.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I love that! However, here in the United States scooters are fairly safe. It would be the "Sport" bikes...aka the rice rockets, that would be in need of this. There seem to be quite a few of those stolen around here, and by coincidence the local bike gangs/clubs seem to be increasing in members, all of them riding those types of bikes.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Marko

Post by Marko »

White noise wrote:
"Buy top of the line insurance. Full cvg. Fire n Theft. AKA comprehensive

Next stop....delivery > A Spanky New One :D "

Unfortunately here in Portugal you can only get basic third party insurance on bikes/scooters. No cover for your own damage, fire or theft, so it really is worth having a GPS tracker on the scoot.I live in a small, quiet town where I have never heard of a bike/scooter being stolen but think for less than €20 and a few Euros a month it's worth having.
Ex.Honda PCX 125, (Red 2012) Now PCX 150 (2015 Grey). Honda VFR V-TEC, Quadzilla (SMC) 300 XLC (quad bike), Yamaha YFM 350 Raptor Quad
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Marko wrote:White noise wrote:
"Buy top of the line insurance. Full cvg. Fire n Theft. AKA comprehensive

Next stop....delivery > A Spanky New One :D "

Unfortunately here in Portugal you can only get basic third party insurance on bikes/scooters. No cover for your own damage, fire or theft, so it really is worth having a GPS tracker on the scoot.I live in a small, quiet town where I have never heard of a bike/scooter being stolen but think for less than €20 and a few Euros a month it's worth having.

Plenty of great things about living in Portugal to make up for it :lol:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

So, I was going through my email this morning and one of them had a link to this GPS tracker. Has anyone here had any experience with it? I guess as they get more popular more of them will show up on the market. I have not seen one this inexpensive, but then the Chinese can make items for much lower costs.

https://www.miniinthebox.com/en/p/gt005 ... TB20181024
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150