New Forza 300 - 1st Impressions

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

edgey999
Year: 2018
Color: Black

Re: New Forza 300 - 1st Impressions

Post by edgey999 »

Keyless is great on the new Forza. Unlike the SH300 they also now give you 2 keyless fobs which is a boon if you lose the first.
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 19 SH300
Color: Red

Post by Oldie »

Update on fuel consumption.

I filled the tank today after 206 miles, making sure it was right up to the brim, and it took 10.38L which gives me 90mpg UK / 75mpg US. The Range indicator showed 24 miles to go. Honda state that the tank capacity is 11.5L so that sounds pretty accurate. Oddly enough, the computer suggested that the mpg was 89.

My riding is always brisk and I tend to get up to the max speed limit on all roads so I'm not hanging around, but never thrashing the bike either - just average riding I guess. Mix of town and fast roads so I think that it's a fair representation of real world fuel consumption.

Verdict - sounds fantastic but we're assuming that the mileage figure is accurate. The speedometer certainly isn't as it reads well below the GPS speed so I'm not convinced that the miles on the odometer are accurate either. But, am I bothered? Not really. If it's telling me little white lies then I'm prepared to go along with that :D
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Speedo will always read slightly over because it must never be under.
Fuel computer on my 2013 Forza was similarly accurate..... the fuel gauge was just for decoration.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Oldie »

In order to check the accuracy of the Forza's odometer, I compared the GPS data (given by my Tracker device) with Google Maps.

GPS says 63.23 miles and Google says 64.4 miles. As neither will be fully accurate, for various reasons, it would, however, suggest that the odometer is probably reasonably accurate and can be trusted when calculating mpg figures.

(When did I become such a nerd?)
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Duly noted on the MPG fuel economy. Actually that's not bad at all considering I'm roughly getting 75 to 80 MPG (U.S.) on my Zuma 125 so if it were me I'd be quite happy with that for a 300 machine. :D

Is the seat comfort improving? How about the ergos for the reach to the handle bar and where you rest your feet? Any problem with knee interference on tight turns? :geek:
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Oldie »

The seat is definitely improving. I rode for 90 mins today in a single stretch and had no discomfort at all. OK, that's not a huge distance and on tour I probably would take a pee / coffee break two or three times in the day anyway.

As far as ergos go, there's plenty of knee room but the angled front sections of the footboards are too close to the rider. I didn't use them at all today although I probably didn't really have to. I'm 5'8 and I suspect that much taller riders might start to feel a little cramped. The handlebar reach feels perfect.

Overall, I have to say that the bike is fantastic, a real pleasure to ride. It's not thrilling, but just has such a good feeling. The only downsides are the poor mirrors and the numbers on the display being slightly too small for my eyes. Maybe also the brakes. They're fine, but not super sharp like on a BMW.

I bought the Forza to replace my NT700V as my main touring machine and, for that purpose, I reckon that it will surpass my expectations. Better screen, weather protection, ergos, weight, fuel economy, ease of use, and price. Not so good on power and about equal in luggage capacity. Roll on next Spring 8)
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

The seat is definitely improving. I rode for 90 mins today in a single stretch and had no discomfort at all. OK, that's not a huge distance and on tour I probably would take a pee / coffee break two or three times in the day anyway.

As far as ergos go, there's plenty of knee room but the angled front sections of the footboards are too close to the rider. I didn't use them at all today although I probably didn't really have to. I'm 5'8 and I suspect that much taller riders might start to feel a little cramped. The handlebar reach feels perfect.

Overall, I have to say that the bike is fantastic, a real pleasure to ride. It's not thrilling, but just has such a good feeling. The only downsides are the poor mirrors and the numbers on the display being slightly too small for my eyes. Maybe also the brakes. They're fine, but not super sharp like on a BMW.

I bought the Forza to replace my NT700V as my main touring machine and, for that purpose, I reckon that it will surpass my expectations. Better screen, weather protection, ergos, weight, fuel economy, ease of use, and price. Not so good on power and about equal in luggage capacity. Roll on next Spring 8)
Good information! Well put. . .. :geek:

From what I've seen/read the XMax feet placement is a bit awkward also. You sort of have to find what works for you depending upon your height. It's always an engineering challenge to find a compromise when it comes to rider accommodation.

Do you think the new design of the Forza is suitable for taking a passenger along? In other words is the pillion more substantial than on the PCX?. I've no doubt the power would be sufficient. To make a long story short I'm in the process of deciding what to do about my motorcycles. I felt bad that I had to trade in my PCX but the seat was just not adequate for my size and to make a long story short I found the Zuma 125 a viable solution for my needs. That said I'd still like to have a larger scooter for longer rides on country type roads (and be able to take a passenger for anything up to 75 miles or so). My days of doing long hours on the Interstates is over. For that I'll take the car. ;)
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

and the numbers on the display being slightly too small for my eyes
I have a pair of these I use with my 3/4 open face helmet and they work good. I can see the speedometer and tach better (like with reading glasses) and can see long distance ahead as normal. The MPH display on the Zuma is huge but on the motorcycles the digits are much smaller. It's just within in an arms length that things get a bit fuzzy to me. Here's a link to Lowes 3M brand listings. . .. :geek:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/3M-Readers-Saf ... es/3082317
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Oldie »

I'm guessing when I say this, but I reckon that the Forza's large seat would be ideal for pillions, subject to the suspension being up to the job. I should have mentioned in my earlier assessment that I find the standard suspension set-up to be fairly basic and this is only the second time on a bike that I've seriously considered upgrading the rear springs, and also possibly adding emulators to the front forks. Ok, so I'm saying that the budget suspension is a let down but it also shows how much I rate the rest of the bike as I'm willing to invest in it.

I think that we also have to remember that this scooter is priced at the lower end of the motorcycle market (in the UK anyway) and you can't expect too much. What you do get, however, is a high quality two wheeler which ticks just about all of the boxes for either local use or extended rides. It's not the first time in over 40 bikes that I've said "I think this is definitely the one" but this time it just might be :D
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

It's not the first time in over 40 bikes that I've said "I think this is definitely the one" but this time it just might be :D
Well you need to be sure and practice makes perfect! :lol:
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

I have to say that the new bike looks good...and I like the idea of the moveable screen. I have a couple of issues however …
Weight?...I think I prefer the heavier weight of my existing Forza...sits well on the road in windy conditions and while on the heavy side wheeling it about is not overly difficult ...on the flat.
Handlebar enclosed... I don't like that. how do you add fittings for satnav etc?..existing bike with open handlebar is easy.
Mirrors. .. With my older version Forza 300 adding the wing mirror extensions was an essential and the rear viewing is now perfect. Looking at the new version I don't see how the mirrors could be extended and in their existing position it appears to me that the rear view is partially obstructed by the rider body.
The mirror detail could be a deal breaker for me.
However no plans to change my old version Forza for many miles yet.
Just a couple of initial observations.
edgey999
Color: Black

Post by edgey999 »

dergav wrote:I have to say that the new bike looks good...and I like the idea of the moveable screen. I have a couple of issues however …
Weight?...I think I prefer the heavier weight of my existing Forza...sits well on the road in windy conditions and while on the heavy side wheeling it about is not overly difficult ...on the flat.
Handlebar enclosed... I don't like that. how do you add fittings for satnav etc?..existing bike with open handlebar is easy.
Mirrors. .. With my older version Forza 300 adding the wing mirror extensions was an essential and the rear viewing is now perfect. Looking at the new version I don't see how the mirrors could be extended and in their existing position it appears to me that the rear view is partially obstructed by the rider body.
Some observations after 600 miles on the new Forza

I rode back from work in the tail end of 30-40mph winds and the new Forza is fine
I agree about the bars but i use it for commuting and ride outs so sat nav not an issue
Mirrors do restrict rear view BUT are really easy to fold up when your filtering (I believe our colonial cousins call it lane splitting) and this is more important to me

Cheers
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

sounds great edgey. Its certainly a handsome bike so enjoy it.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Most aftermarket companies now sell a bar they can go across that connects the mirrors, and you can mount anything you want as it's pre-drilled. It is for situations exactly like this. There are many on eBay that are much cheaper than this one, I picked one up for $25...... but here's a picture so you get an idea

https://taiwanbigscootershop.com/collec ... x-300-2017

Or RAM makes a ball mount that mounts underneath your mirror connection on the handle bar. No need to mess with the plastic on the handlebars....like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012 ... UTF8&psc=1
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by glencoeman »

Jge64 wrote:Most aftermarket companies now sell a bar they can go across that connects the mirrors, and you can mount anything you want as it's pre-drilled. It is for situations exactly like this. There are many on eBay that are much cheaper than this one, I picked one up for $25...... but here's a picture so you get an idea

https://taiwanbigscootershop.com/collec ... x-300-2017

Or RAM makes a ball mount that mounts underneath your mirror connection on the handle bar. No need to mess with the plastic on the handlebars....like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012 ... UTF8&psc=1
The new Forza has fairing mirrors but there might still be mirror holes on the handlebar controls.
mike parish
Color: white

Post by mike parish »

I have a new Forza and am very happy with it. For the last 5 years I had a PCX, good bike but wanted ABS and since the new PCX still has a drum brake the Forza looked like the answer. I wanted to respond to the subject of mounting GPS or other portable devises to the handle bars. Honda has taken care of that. You need to "pinch" the triangle shaped plastic cover in the center of the steering mechanism and it will come off and gives a place to mount your stuff. There is a very good walk around on youtube but its all in Thai. The guy shows lots of features no one else shows you just need to turn the sound off or learn to speak Thai. Hope this will help. Now, where can I get a owners manual in English, dealer here is not able or willing to find one, and looking on the net I found one for the old style Forza but not for the new model. I live in Thailand but don't see where to enter that info. thanks
mike parish

Post by mike parish »

Oops!
Fixed. Duplicate post removed ;) ~WN~
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

dergav wrote:I have to say that the new bike looks good...and I like the idea of the moveable screen. I have a couple of issues however …
Dergav,
Another solution to mirror issue with a Forza is to mount a stock pair from CB500X. They look exactly like the Forza mirrors -- only with a longer stem.
Keeps the stock look, while improving the rear view!
Fish
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi Mike welcome aboard the forum(s) and congrats on owning a New & Restyled Forza!! Feel free to share a few pics with us :D

Adding your location:
If you follow my directions below (any of my posts), you can add your location to your profile. It will then appear to the left beneath your forum name, year, color etc.

REQUEST:
Would you be kind enough to go back on youtube and attach that video you mentioned? It sounds like it features some hidden bits n pieces about this newbie 4za.
Oh, and I'll mute it no worries ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
mike parish

Post by mike parish »

WhiteNoise,
Thanks for the info on location, done. I have looked at Youtube history and can not find the video I saw on the Forza, there are lots to look at, but no joy in finding the one I was looking for.