Chaining up your PCX Properly

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

dust
Year: 2017
Color: Matte Grey

Chaining up your PCX Properly

Post by dust »

I just moved to a neighborhood where most motorbikes parked on the street are chained up. I like to make my scooter more difficult to steal than the competition, so I bought a massive Kryptonite loop chain & U-lock.

I've looped the chain around a solid railing and can now use the small U-lock to secure the bike. Kryptonite calls this a "disc lock", and while it doesn't fit the PCX brake disc, I can quite easily lock up a spoke, as in the picture.

From my bicycling days I'd feel much more comfortable locking to the frame somehow, but I can't find anything sturdy & exposed. Is there a more secure part of the bike I could lock up to, or is the rear tire about as good as it gets?
BikeLockedUp.jpg
BikeLockedUp.jpg (212.81 KiB) Viewed 561 times
P.S.: Excuse the mangy state of the bike. Street parking around here is rather "hazardous" as far as dogs are concerned. :(
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Year: 2018
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Re: Chaining up your PCX Properly

Post by Cube »

Looks good to me.. I have the same chain. I may be stealing your locked spoke idea, I generally loop thru the wheel. Be aware that a thief with a cordless angle grinder can still get thru all that in about a minute.
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

What part of the UK are you originally from :D
dust
Year: 2017
Color: Matte Grey

Post by dust »

I figured out that threading the chain above / in front of the left rear shock and locking it to a rear spoke keeps it off the ground. This should avoid dog pee and maybe those sledgehammer + anvil attacks that presumably only happen in Abus / Kryptonite ads. It's a bit of a pain though, not sure I'll keep that up.

How about locking to the left rear shock only? That looks like a 1 bolt job to remove, I think.
What about the center stand?

I have no clue how slow each part would be to remove from the bike.

@Cube - thanks, yea - aware of the angle grinder thing. The chain includes a guarantee that will reimburse around Eur 1000 if it gets severed in a theft. That was a contributing factor in buying that particular chain, though the fine print reminds me of why I don't have theft insurance in the first place. Probably useless. At least being less appealing than the alternatives isn't hard. Many of the lockup jobs here are thin bike cables, chains around waist-high pillars, etc.

@you you - Lol, not sure if the U.K. Comment was to myself or Cube because of the angle grinder thing. My bike theft paranoia comes from 8 years in London.

Of course the downside of the chain is that it's so heavy I'll only ever use it for overnight parking. Away from home I'll stick to an "alarmed" disc lock and hope.
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Year: 2018
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Post by Cube »

yeah, the weight is why it tends to stay in my garage.
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300