bunny collision - broken body panels

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2016 - 125cc
Color: White (NHA16)

bunny collision - broken body panels

Post by Ganglylamb »

Hello,

I have been lurking on this forum for quite awhile (even though I just registered now). I have found lots of great tips and the forum has been very usefull already (many thanks to all the people here).

Yesterday evening while driving at ~100km/h a bunny decided to cross my path - I didn't even see it at all. You can guess the bunny was dead - luckily, apart from a loud bang and something which felt like a very deep pothole or large bump I came away without any harm. I stopped and did a quick check on the scoot and didn't see anything wrong directly with the steering/wheels etc so I continued home (only 3 more kms to go).

Back home I did an inspection and saw that some of the radiator and back tire was covered in guts/goo. Cleaned it all off - as far as I can tell.
But I also noticed that the right lower panel was cracked.
bunny vs pcx1 - right lower panel cracked
bunny vs pcx1 - right lower panel cracked
image.jpeg (49.44 KiB) Viewed 1532 times
As I use the scoot for commuting back and forth to work I just put some duct tape on and went to work this morning as usual. Upon arriving I did another inspection and noticed that more damage was done than I originally thought.
bunny vs pcx2
bunny vs pcx2
image.jpeg (92.87 KiB) Viewed 1532 times
I already looked for a webshop where I can buy these parts relatively cheap but all I found was this:
https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda- ... 14/2/26054 => ~100£ (excl. shipping)
or
https://www.asian-motoparts.com/en/floo ... -2017.html => 45 € - but this is also excluded shipping + when importing it to Belgium I would have to pay an absurd amount of import taxes + normal taxes and it would end up as expensive as the 100£ option.

So my questions are:
* Is there anyone here based in Europe that knows a good webshop where you can buy body panels / plastic rivets and retainers relatively cheap? As long as it is within the EU, customs don't care and there are no added taxes.
* Another option would be to fix the body panel from the inside using a polyester repair set which includes fiberglass mat and fleeze (something like: https://www.motip.com/products/motip/au ... epair-set/ ). Would this be a good solution? Perhaps anyone has attempted to repair a crack like that with this kind of product and has some good tips? Probably the crack would still be visible but at least with some fiberglass mats on the inside, the damage will be contained and will not spread any further.

Kind regards,

Jan.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Re: bunny collision - broken body panels

Post by Oyabun »

I would not bother with either in this case.
As I see you need the pearl jasmine white color right?
In case you need only that part number is 64431-K35-V00ZC, and costs a ridiculous 12.99 USD from Partzilla.com. Why I use them as they have a fixed delivery fee, so anything below 40 USD value (yes, large parts like body panels too) is delivered to your door in 5-8 days for a flat rate of 8 USD or so.
I'm also in Europe and stuck by the tax issue (3%customs and 27%! VAT on the landed cost in Hungary), but you are exempt from the customs process if your goods are below 22 EUR.
In this case 13+8USD is roughly 18 EUR, so you have a margin of orderting a few screws or other bits if you need them for the installation.
Good luck
Oya
Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Ganglylamb »

Thanks Oya for the suggestion.

I just checked the color code of my pcx, it is NH-A16P which is Pearl Cool White. I don't know if there is a huge difference between Pearl Jasmine White but probably there will be a visible difference, especially completely in the front where the two types of white 'meet'. In the middle the black footstep will give a large contrast so the color difference between the lower and upper side of the body will be less visible.

So I am not sure what I will do at this point, this weekend I will try and remove all the panels which are damaged to see which rivets and fasteners and how many were broken off. At least I can already order those in a surplus amount on Partzilla - I will probably need some in the future as well when I do a valve clearance check as these fastener things tend to break quite fast from what I have understood).

In the mean time duct tape and zip ties are my new best friends to hold everything in place :) (#thereifixedit) .
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

Ganglylamb wrote:Thanks Oya for the suggestion.

I just checked the color code of my pcx, it is NH-A16P which is Pearl Cool White, I don't know if there is a huge difference between Pearl Jasmine White but probably there will be a visible difference, especially completely in the front where the two types of white 'meet'. In the middle the black footstep will give a large contrast so the color difference between the lower and upper side of the body will be less visible.

So I am not sure what I will do at this point, this weekend I will try and remove all the panels which are damaged to see which rivets and fasteners and how many were broken off. At least I can already order those in a surplus amount on Partzilla - I will probably need some in the future as well when I do a valve clearance check as these fastener things tend to break quite fast from what I have understood).

In the mean time ducttape and zip ties are my new best friends to hold everything in place :) (#thereifixedit) .
Sorry then.
Different color codes are definitely different colors.
This is a common issue between markets, that colors are not matching up.
If yours is NH-A16P, then all prepainted parts should end with ZR (xxxxx-xxx-xxxZR)
This case use Motorcyclespareparts.com. They're European, have the part in the right color and cheaper (84.89 EUR) than Bike-parts-...
Linky: https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/ ... 32k35v00zr

Hope this helps
Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Ganglylamb »

Yep, I also saw this site passing by as I now got the correct part number.
Still, I am amazed by the large price differences for the same piece but simply a different color. Granted the version on partzilla was for a 2015 version while mine is a 2016 version (although I reckon the shape will be the same). But still, a difference of roughly 70€ for simply another color. It would even be cheaper to simply slam on a so called Poseidon Black Metallic version on both the left and right side (https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda ... efe355256b ). But then again, I might end up with a clown like looking pcx within a couple of years...

Guess I should have bought myself a more in demand color as I imagine it simply has to do with price and demand.

I have decided I am going to try the fiberglass polyester repair kit and see how this works, if it fails it's ~13 € down the drain. If it works i'm ready for another bunny crossing my path + as I have not done such a repair before I can't wait to get started this weekend (always exciting to do new things).
I will update with pictures of the result once done.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Oyabun wrote:I would not bother with either in this case.
As I see you need the pearl jasmine white color right?
In case you need only that part number is 64431-K35-V00ZC, and costs a ridiculous 12.99 USD from Partzilla.com. Why I use them as they have a fixed delivery fee, so anything below 40 USD value (yes, large parts like body panels too) is delivered to your door in 5-8 days for a flat rate of 8 USD or so.
I'm also in Europe and stuck by the tax issue (3%customs and 27%! VAT on the landed cost in Hungary), but you are exempt from the customs process if your goods are below 22 EUR.
In this case 13+8USD is roughly 18 EUR, so you have a margin of orderting a few screws or other bits if you need them for the installation.
Good luck
Oya
Good tip
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Glad it's only plastic you have to worry about. Rabbits can get rather chunky depending upon where you live. It's too bad he decided to hop into your path but these things happen. You were fortunate that you escaped without injury to ride another day. ;)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Ganglylamb wrote:But still, a difference of roughly 70€ for simply another color.
The huge price difference, I believe is to how much we are ripped off in europe/UK to the USA and Thailand.
I needed a part to fix the rear final drive clutch issue, cost here from dealers was around £110 + vat just for that part, yet I ordered it from Thailand along with Honda 110cc clutch pads (as they are supposed to give much smoother take-off) and total cost including taxes and just under 2 week air-freight was £46 delivered!!
(not fitted either parts yet but due to very soon) :)
JustPassinThru
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: white

Post by JustPassinThru »

Ten years ago, I had a Burgman 400...and incredibly, I had decided to tour with it. It didn't end well, but because I had abused it riding across Michigan. Hot day, that 400 had power to spare...I was riding, fully loaded with gear, at over 90 mph for two hours in 98F heat.

That was another story and it caught up with me two weeks later. But, crossing Western Ontario by Thunder Bay...I had come in on some sort of regional festival. NO hotels, rooming-houses, campgrounds, or anything available. I was boxed into that dreaded situation: Riding at night, without end. Rural land.

A gopher did what your bunny did. I nailed him on the head with the radiator shroud, which with the Burgman is right behind the front wheel.

Busted out half of it. By some miracle, the radiator stayed put and didn't leak.

It doesn't take much...
Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Ganglylamb »

PCX150Rider wrote:Glad it's only plastic you have to worry about. Rabbits can get rather chunky depending upon where you live. It's too bad he decided to hop into your path but these things happen. You were fortunate that you escaped without injury to ride another day. ;)
I consider myself indeed quite lucky - it could have been much worse if this would have happened during a curve instead of on a straight piece of road.
JustPassinThru wrote: That was another story and it caught up with me two weeks later. But, crossing Western Ontario by Thunder Bay...I had come in on some sort of regional festival. NO hotels, rooming-houses, campgrounds, or anything available. I was boxed into that dreaded situation: Riding at night, without end. Rural land.

A gopher did what your bunny did. I nailed him on the head with the radiator shroud, which with the Burgman is right behind the front wheel.
A dreaded situation indeed, especially during summer when all these little critters are running around throughout the night - but if nothing is available to rest during the night there's not really an option.

The lesson I have learned now is that I will no longer drive on that particular road at night. The funniest thing was that minutes before I had the collision I was thinking that I should be careful and aware of rabbits because in that area I have seen them often during the night (industrial port area). Even more; during the day, when I go to work and back passing there, I can see new cadavers lying on the road killed by trucks probably as they are quite flattened.
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

iceman wrote:
Ganglylamb wrote:But still, a difference of roughly 70€ for simply another color.
The huge price difference, I believe is to how much we are ripped off in europe/UK to the USA and Thailand.
I needed a part to fix the rear final drive clutch issue, cost here from dealers was around £110 + vat just for that part, yet I ordered it from Thailand along with Honda 110cc clutch pads (as they are supposed to give much smoother take-off) and total cost including taxes and just under 2 week air-freight was £46 delivered!!
(not fitted either parts yet but due to very soon) :)
+1
I understand it's the nature of business, but it really bothers me when companies play these infuriating price games. When I bought my Honda tall windscreen, Webike had it at 1/2 the cost of US dealers. Even adding the fixed $50 shipping cost from Japan it was more than $100 cheaper than buying locally. I called the local dealer and asked if they were willing to price-match to the total cost of ordering online (price + shipping) and they flat out refused. Huh? Okay, see ya!
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

Ganglylamb wrote:... It would even be cheaper to simply slam on a so called Poseidon Black Metallic version on both the left and right side. But then again, I might end up with a clown like looking pcx within a couple of years...
I've decided to do a version of this when I replace my damaged body panels. I have Poseidon Black (looks black until you get it in the sun, and then the highlights are a dark blue metallic) and three body panels to replace. The two lower panels are L/R mirror parts (below the foot rests) so I'm going to replace them with a different color. The third panel is a RF piece and I'm going to use the original color to match with the rest of it.
(Note: lower foot rest panels probably wouldn't show Poseidon Black's blue highlights because of their low/shaded position on the bike.)

I don't know about the UK model years, but here in the US the 2015/2016/2017 (and maybe the 2018?) models all kept the same styling. Panels/colors between those years should be interchangeable.
Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Ganglylamb »

As said earlier I opted for a repair using this fiberglass polyester kit from Motip.

Tools needed:
* a pair of gloves (or make that three pair of gloves as they get sticky and fiberglass is Itchy&Scratchy)
* paint brush
* cutter knife and scissors
* last but not least: a well ventilated area :lol:

The polyester thing I used said; add 2.5% of hardener to the main thing... I just ball parked it and ended up with 2.5%-ish - or maybe a bit more :).

So first of all, take the panel off and clean it (both in and outside). Next apply some transparent tape to the outside while holding it firmly together - no point in a repair if there is still space between both sides.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (89.77 KiB) Viewed 1321 times
I did notice there are some fine cracks in the varnish (might apply a new one later on as this might start to crack as well later).
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (138.16 KiB) Viewed 1321 times
Next, a bit of sanding - also noticed there was a clip which was also broken off - retrieved it though (fell out the panel after I removed it).
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (242.01 KiB) Viewed 1321 times
After the sanding, cut the fiberglass and mat to the correct size. I attached the clip first using loctite - would be difficult to hold it in place while working with the fiberglass. Prepare this mixture and get to it (it says it hardens after 8 minutes - they were right!). So this is the end result on the inside:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (238.5 KiB) Viewed 1321 times
40 minutes wait to let it dry - also a good time to take a break to clear your head from the lovely smell it produces. Next I also drilled a hole trough the fiberglass where the plastic rivet should go into the clip that broke off. Use the cutter knife and scissors to take of any excess fiber glass mat.

And after mounting it back:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (67.83 KiB) Viewed 1321 times
I am pleased with the result, it feels strong again. The only thing is that I think the clip, when pushing in the plastic rivet, gave a cracking sound - but it seems to stay fixed so. I also put the bottom floor thing back in its place as it was also out of position along with another panel that had shifted a bit.

It looks much better as before and especially compared to my ducktape solution I used during this week. As it only took around 1 hour and didn't even cost a thing (got the polyester repair kit for free as I had some vouchers left I could redeem in this particular shop - where I almost never go so this was a good way to spend them) it beats the other otpions which were far more expensive. Only thing left to put in place are two other plastic rivets that are probably somewhere on the street - but they should arrive shortly by mail, and then it is all being held together firmly again.
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

Excellent job! 8)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

That looks good. I would just leave it at that and ride the thing.
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Year: 2018
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Post by Cube »

you you wrote:That looks good. I would just leave it at that and ride the thing.
Seconded. Nice job on the fiberglass BTW.
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

That was a gamble that sure paid off! The repair looks excellent - very nice job.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

Look into the "west system" epoxy products, it works just like polyester resin, yet it's about twice as strong. Available at any Marine store.

https://www.amazon.com/WEST-SYSTEM-105- ... WV78JWQFWK
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

Nice job! Certainly beats putting Gorilla or Duck tape (Gorilla is better IMHO) on the panel interior side to keep things together. Not that that's a bad thing. It's worked for me in the past a few times taking short cuts bending panels too far thus causing cracks trying to remove a tank or get my hands in somewhere to adjust something . But you went the extra measure to put the time and materials into doing a proper job. Thanks for providing pics on how it's done! 8)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When it comes to panel replacement, cost is everything. I can't see spending a fortune on a panel, especially if it can be fixed at a reasonable price.

You did a great job and that panel looks just like new.

Whenever I am traveling on my scooter to a region that has a lot of wildlife crossing the road, I keep two Rolls of duct tape under my seat. The first is black because there are some black pieces on the bike. The second is red, and I had to buy a lot of different rolls in varying degrees of red before I found a roll that was close to the color of my bike.

I have had to use them only once, but I was glad I had them when I needed them. It is hard to ride home with panels falling off.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers