Newbie: Am I Getting a Good Price on my First Scooter?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

rweggert
Year: 2018
Color: White

Newbie: Am I Getting a Good Price on my First Scooter?

Post by rweggert »

Hello, PCX world! I just put a deposit down on my first ever scooter - a 2018 White PCX150J - sight unseen and undriven. I'm taking the word from all of you that this is a great choice for my first scooter and hope to pick it up in two weeks when I return home. I found the scooter online at a reputable authorized Honda dealer and it was the only PCX in stock.

My questions: Did I get a great deal or not? The dealer quoted me a price of $2,650, well below list. However, they added $300 for dealer freight, $288 for dealer setup, and $499 for titling/processing - nearly $1,100 in fees. My original quote was $3,199 but when I complained about the high fees, they lowered the price on the scooter but not the fees (which I'm fine with). So, out the door with sales tax: $4,073?

Also, the invoice shows the model number is PCX150J - with an added J at the end. What does this mean? Am I getting a non-standard model PCX? With such a low quoted price, I'm wondering if I'm not getting what I'm expecting.

Looking forward to sharing my thoughts and experiences with all of you!
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Re: Newbie: Am I Getting a Good Price on my First Scooter?

Post by GeorgeSK »

"out the door" for 4 is not a bad price, but it is not a super price. I would not be unhappy, mind you, but it is not like they gave you the deal of a lifetime (although the price for the scoot itself DOES seem very good - its the adders that add up).

Enjoy your new ride, but put some money into your gear. Helmet obviously, but jacket and gloves too. If you want to go even further, riding jeans make a lot of sense. Regular blue jeans are pretty much useless in a slide.

Oh yeah - no idea what the J means.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Jalapeno.
Its the hot tuned up version...
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Both of our 2013 models cost close to that out the door, so it is about par for the course.

You will find that it is a great scooter for that price. Just keep a few things in mind.
1. If you are short you may have a problem touching the ground. There are some women on this forum who have that problem. My wife has that problem.
2. Getting a taller windshield will probably become a necessity. When you ride the wind will build up on your chest and try to push you off of the bike. Taller windshields divert the wind around you. There are quite a few choices in windshield height and style, so ride it a little and then determine what you don't like before adding accessories.
3. You can purchase a tail box if you expect to carry additional items, such as books. It is also a good place to store your helmet if the underseat storage is full.
4. BUY A GOOD HELMET, GLOVES, AND JACKET. This is not a toy. It tops out in the mid 60 mph range. At that speed you can really get hurt, if not killed.

Aside from that, enjoy your ride. It is a HONDA. Take care of it and it will give you many years of enjoyment.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Jalapeno.
Its the hot tuned up version...

:lol:
GlassMan
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017

Post by GlassMan »

$3800 O T D at Dupage Cycle on North Av !!
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

OTD for 4 is about what I paid for my 2017 last year. And it was a new one out of a crate. I didn't have to take the floor model. I didn't buy any extras as far as extended warranty etc. . .. But I did buy Honda oil and Honda coolant the same day I closed the deal on the PCX. Wanted to have it on hand to do the first maintenance at 600 miles myself. 8)

I've been riding motorcycles for years so I already had helmets etc. . .. :D
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I think I paid about the same as you rweggert, maybe a $100 less? Not bad deals.
Oh and on the letter J you asked, I'm not sure myself but if you're truly concerned, call your salesman. If he doesn't know tell Him to find out.

Wait! Maybe it's your salesman's first or last name initial, "J" for Jim, or Jackson, or even Jim Jackson :lol:
No, that would be "JJ" then. Hmm...
For all we know, it could be a "salesman's code" when he makes a sale :lol: I'm joking....I think ??

> So WHEN do you get your B.U.Tee New White Stallion? Show n Tell us when she moves in <

Heh gn2 - that is Funny! :lol:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The new model OTD in 2018 at $3800 is a total bargain.
Back in 2012 they were $3800, and that was for the pre-eSP 125
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?p=7079#p7079
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

My 2016 pcx was close to 4 grand out the door too, they had it listed at 2999 but with all the fees it ended up at almost 4 grand
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Welcome aboard our forum(s) big bear :)
Sounds like we're among the norm that paid "$4,000" OTD - I'm good with that

For those that paid less: Good for You! Smile. Ride
For those that paid a bit more: You'll be Smiling soon enough. Just Ride
For those that paid too much: Learn from the experience. Don't hammer yourself. Ride = Smiles :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You