Ignition stuck - Without visible reason

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Kristopshu
Year: 2012
Color: White

Ignition stuck - Without visible reason

Post by Kristopshu »

Hello PCXers,

Recently when I was taking some service-time with my 2012 Honda I've been hit by sudden ignition lock stuck. I've noticed it after taking down some plastics, seat, gas tank cover, etc. So I though there could be some safety engaged on some bolt, driven by a GND. As I am about to put everything back, I'm having growing concerns that this could not be the case. Ignition lock is in OFF mode, stuck with the feeling like the key is not from that vehicle (it is...). So please, If anyone could have idea what the hell happened, I'd be glad for help.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Ignition stuck - Without visible reason

Post by Mel46 »

I am not sure what you mean by the ignition being stuck. When you put the key into the ignition does the key turn through the 3 positions it needs to go through before you can press the starter?

If your bike is on its center stand and the side stand is up, you should be able to hold the brake lever in, press the start button, and give it a little gas, and it should not care if the panels are on or off. I have had mine apart multiple times and started it during that time.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

Kristopshu wrote:So I though there could be some safety engaged on some bolt, driven by a GND. As I am about to put everything back, I'm having growing concerns that this could not be the case. Ignition lock is in OFF mode, stuck with the feeling like the key is not from that vehicle (it is...). So please, If anyone could have idea what the hell happened, I'd be glad for help.
Tge ignition lock is a very simple 30usd passive lock, no such mechanisms built in.

Can you remove the key to insoect for damages? I had an issue before when the key blade was slightly twisted and ceased to operate. An accidental hit or press during disassembly could cause such a thing.
I can also imagine that the steering lock or one of the bowdens operating the fuel lid or seat is under tension and does not allow turning the key.
Good luck.
Kristopshu
Year: 2012
Color: White

Post by Kristopshu »

The problem is that I can't turn my key in any position.
I've disassembled the whole thing and learned that the mechanism is really simple and the operation of its electrical part is 1/0. You have the power or you don't. So there is no "safety" involved that I've expected (like "you can't even turn the ignition if your crankshaft position sensor is disconnected").
When I've opened the ignition up, I've noticed it is the dirtiest part I've seen in this motorbike. Seriously. I've been changing the header, taking down the exhaust, I've disassembled a lot. And the closed ignition part was like a swamp. I identified different kinds of lubes and other shit people sprayed into the hole with a different "age". There was a machine oil, some graphite silicone, probably old WD-40 and a fistfull of dust, gravel, beach sand and some fabric-like dirt. A MESS! No wonder the tumblers died there. Solution - replace ignition.

I've made two major mistakes there, I'll describe them when I will assemble it back with a new ignition, make some photos. I short - don't unscrew every screw you see and If you operate with a spring, keep an eye and a finger on it.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Good point. I found that out the hard way when I was replacing the passenger foot pegs. Guess what? They have a spring and a ball bearing under them that helps the peg move forward or backward and stay there. Take it apart without reading up on it first and you will be chasing a small ball bearing and fountain pen size spring on the floor. They are pretty hard to locate on a cement floor.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers