Where is the nearest gas station?

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Where is the nearest gas station?

Post by davenowherejones »

I go to a lot of places that have no gas stations.

What is the best way of carrying extra gas on a 2014 Honda Forza 300?

What is the safest distance I can go before I am walking?

The MPG meter on the Forza is instantaneous? Or average? USA MPG? Canada MPG? I use kilometres per litre anyway.

How big is the actual fuel tank? Is it all useable?

I like to carry enough gas to get my destination and have enough to get back to the previous gas station.

Our provincial politicians are squabbling over a pipeline. Alberta wants to turn off our gas.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Where is the nearest gas station?

Post by Mister Paul »

The 300 Forza fuel gauge is abysmal. It goes from ok to empty way before it needs to, so you have no idea of what you have left. The only reliable way to keep safe is to reset the trip every time you fill up.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Tank capacity is 2.5 imperial gallons, enough for 200 miles if you take your time.
The economy meter is very accurate, the fuel gauge..... completely useless.
You should be able to get a couple of fuel containers under the seat or stored on the tunnel/rack/throwover panniers.
If you Google "motorcycle fuel container" there's heaps of ideas from recycled two litre drink bottles to permanent fit auxiliary tanks.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Though I only have a PCX I have carried extra fuel three ways.

The first is in a small authorized fuel container in the tail box. It fits nicely. You can try various sizes to see which one will be the largest that you can carry.

The second way is at the back of the seat, using the front of the tail box as an anchor to keep it secure.

The last way is that I used a piece of packing Styrofoam as a backrest for me, which gave me something to lean back on when on long trips. I cut a section out of it the size of a small fuel container, and secured the container in place with tiedowns.
Carrying Spare Gas
Carrying Spare Gas
image.jpeg (77.45 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
Any of these should work for carrying extra fuel.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
dick the den
Regular User
Regular User
Color: white

Post by dick the den »

gn2 wrote:Tank capacity is 2.5 imperial gallons, enough for 200 miles if you take your time.
You should be able to get a couple of fuel containers under the seat or stored on the tunnel/rack/throwover panniers.
If you Google "motorcycle fuel container" there's heaps of ideas from recycled two litre drink bottles to permanent fit auxiliary tanks.
Under the seat..????????? Space is big enough,but is it safe..??? I Mean on my scoots it does get a bit warm in there.But under the seat is better to carry the weight.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

dick the den wrote:
gn2 wrote:Tank capacity is 2.5 imperial gallons, enough for 200 miles if you take your time.
Under the seat..????????? Space is big enough,but is it safe..??? I Mean on my scoots it does get a bit warm in there.But under the seat is better to carry the weight.
Under the seat would be a bad place to carry gas for me on the Forza. The front part of the space has tools, gloves and other crap I need to reduce. The back space under there gets warm. I would be afraid of expansion spillage.

The top box would have my tent & sleeping bag. The back of the seat would have my backpack.

I want to investigate the tunnel to see if it is useable.

There are very few times I want extra gas. Maybe a few 1 litre containers around my tent??? I need to load everything up and see what room is left. Under the top box???
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

You could fit 1 litre in the front left lockable compartment
Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

dick the den wrote:
I'm guessing it would be at least as safe as a regular motorcycle fuel tank perched on top of the engine.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
dick the den wrote:
I'm guessing it would be at least as safe as a regular motorcycle fuel tank perched on top of the engine.
How flippant. Have you any idea how dangerous a bit warm petrol is :lol:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I think I'll get some petrol and put it in an old electric kettle and see if it just boils or bursts into flames.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I went riding today to Princeton. I investigated the left lockable cubby hole. You could fill a 1 litre oil bottle and put it in there. It is too small an amount to even bother with. A 5 litre container on the tunnel would be more practical. The back seat is doable but I prefer the tunnel because I would be constantly looking at the back seat to see if it is still there. There are very few times I would ever need extra fuel. More of an academic exercise.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I've read on other forums where members use:
Rotopax
1) http://rotopax.com/
Or...
MSR fuel bottles
2) https://youtu.be/oXKqpvAtVd4

Both a bit costly.
Ya better "Shop Around" :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I am curious. I especially like the idea of the MSR fuel bottles. It looks like you could put them securely in some out of the way place on the bike.
Now the big question:
How and where would you attach either of them to a PCX? There isn't a lot of extra room on the outside of one, and could you trust either enough that you would put it under the seat?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Year: 2018
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Post by Cube »

I'd probably trust the MSRs in the under seat as long as they were fastened down. They're designed for backpacks after all.

I love RotoPax - but those I want for my Jeep, and they are pricy and awkward for a scoot. Probably better for ADV bikes, IMO.
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

Mel46 wrote:I am curious. I especially like the idea of the MSR fuel bottles. It looks like you could put them securely in some out of the way place on the bike.
Now the big question:
How and where would you attach either of them to a PCX? There isn't a lot of extra room on the outside of one, and could you trust either enough that you would put it under the seat?
I have been carrying these fuel bottles under my seat for the past 3 years. Work well, have not been blown up yet.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (132.62 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

There ya go :P from experience.
Love the grippy beer holders, that's a cool idea. But, but.....where's the beer? :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

MikeP wrote:
Mel46 wrote:I am curious. I especially like the idea of the MSR fuel bottles. It looks like you could put them securely in some out of the way place on the bike.
Now the big question:
I have been carrying these fuel bottles under my seat for the past 3 years. Work well, have not been blown up yet.
Hopefully not the same gas for 3 years as it would be useless.

Where do you go that you need 2 extra litres? Say 50 km more? Or is it in case you forget to fuel up?
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

Petrol. It's petrol.

Gas is a state of matter.
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

davenowherejones wrote:
MikeP wrote:
Now the big question:
Hopefully not the same gas for 3 years as it would be useless.

Where do you go that you need 2 extra litres? Say 50 km more? Or is it in case you forget to fuel up?
I use the gas, petrol, or dinosaur juice, every 2 months or so.
I like to do day trips to remote areas like Tofino, Port Renfrew, or Gold River for example. Sometimes it can be tough finding a fuel stop so this gives me an extra 75km or so range.
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Mister Paul wrote:Petrol. It's petrol.

Gas is a state of matter.
Gas is an abbreviation of gasoline, needs to be easy for them, petrol although only six letters is still is one syllable too many. :P