Battery question

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Z-Mac
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Battery question

Post by Z-Mac »

Hey guys,
I wanted to ask you a battery related question. Last year I went on for a vacation for a week and when I got back home my car battery drained . I was wondering if this would happen with the Forza if it left without running for a week?

Thanks

Z
MichRocks
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Battery question

Post by MichRocks »

Snow and ice kept mine in the garage from late November until January 15th without being run. Garage temp varied from a low of -5F to high of about 33F. It started up on the first push, but I was still wary, and put it on a tender until the weather broke. Can you garage it? If yes, it should be OK, but I highly recommend the Battery Tender JR. My cables are permanently attached in the 'trunk', and attach easily in seconds when the weather gets bad in winter. A killer product.
mboni
Year: 2014 Forza

Post by mboni »

A week should be nothing for a battery that is in good health. A month shouldn't be a big deal either, our battery should be powering nothing but the clock. However, add in some extreme cold, or extreme heat, and maybe go two months instead of one, and now you're asking for trouble.

MichRocks is exactly right, we should all have a permanently installed battery tender connection, and the bike should be plugged in whenever it's going to be idle for a while. However, getting inside the battery box is tough, and finding a route for the cable requires removing several of the plastic body panels. So it may take me another week or two before my cable is connected.
MichRocks
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MichRocks »

mboni wrote:... However, getting inside the battery box is tough, and finding a route for the cable requires removing several of the plastic body panels. So it may take me another week or two before my cable is connected.
Actually, I cheated...I didn't remove any panels. Once the battery lid was off, I notched the lid, then snaked the cables through it, and replaced it, leaving the cables in the storage compartment. I wrap them up with a tie-wrap (wire), then put them in a baggie so they don't get wet from my boots when it rains. Works well so far...but that's because I'm lazy as hell! :D
Attachments
tender.jpg
tender.jpg (445.61 KiB) Viewed 1665 times
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

MichRocks wrote:
mboni wrote:Works well so far...but that's because I'm lazy as hell! :D
I think laziness leads to many great inventions ... there has to be an easier way to do this. ;)
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Z-Mac
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Z-Mac »

Thanks guys for your advices! She'll be in the garage for this one week so I guess it shouldn't be a problem.
Cheers

Z
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Z-Mac wrote:Thanks guys for your advices! She'll be in the garage for this one week so I guess it shouldn't be a problem.
Cheers

Z

Not for a week. Month is more of an issue
MiddleRiverPCX
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by MiddleRiverPCX »

Batteries have improved over the years. My PCX sat from November to April, outside. With electronic ignition, and fuel injection, it started up amazingly quickly, and idled smoothly right away.
Don't worry a bunch, it will start.
If you use your bike at least occasionally in warm weather, and your winter isn't too long, Battery will be fine.
Battery tender can provide peace of mind, the feeling you did something.
Before you add an external charger, you should be measuring the battery voltage to see if it is dropping to the point of needing charging.
If you charge up a battery that is already nearly fully charged, battery life will be diminished, not extended.
If you have added accessories that drain the battery, either with the engine on, or with the engine off, add a charger, and just accept the somewhat more often battery changes as the cost of convenience.

Sealed lead acid batteries do not like to be overcharged.
Z-Mac
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Z-Mac »

Thanks for your inputs!