Just put down a payment on a PCX150!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Just put down a payment on a PCX150!

Post by dustin91 »

So I just put half down on a red PCX150 today. Having the dealer install a USB power outlet and a mounting kit for a phone/GPS, since I don't plan on any highway riding just yet, and I'm not sure I can find my way home on my own! Just took a motorcycle safety course last weekend and got my M endorsement on Monday. Was looking at the Forza, but when I saw the size of a comparable bike, I knew it was bigger than I could use and store for now. Maybe in another few years when there's less crap in the garage for an 11 y/o son! Very much looking forward to getting it in the next few days, and having some alone time on the road for nice little trips around central NJ!

Any tips for a beginner and new owner?

- Dustin

(sorry, I wound up posting this in the Accessories forum first... duh)
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Just put down a payment on a PCX150!

Post by strkngfang »

Welcome, Dustin & congrats on getting a PCX150. My advice for a beginner is to take it slow. Stay on low mph roads for a few weeks or until you are comfortable with how the bike reacts and feels. Avoid heavy traffic and situations where you might have to be extra cautious. Find a nice quiet neighborhood or country road and enjoy a stress free ride. Being a new bike, try to avoid full throttle starts and vary your speed as much as possible for the first 600 miles & then take it for the initial break in service. The PCX is a blast to ride at 30mph- 60mph, just take your time and have fun. Post a picture when you get it.
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

Thanks Dan, appreciate it! I just took a basic motorcycle safety course last weekend, so I got a little feel for riding a powered two-wheeler, but for sure I'll be avoiding heavily trafficked roads for a while. Really looking forward to using this as a potential commuter (only 10 miles each way), and weekend fun generator. Good recommendation on the speed varying for the first couple hundred miles, too. Pics to come!
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

Congrats on the new scoot. Smart for you to go through the MFS course. That 600 mile "break in" period is as much for you as it is the scoot. Just like you learned in the class, practice... get comfortable knowing how the bike will accelerate (it may surprise you), and how well it stops. The combined braking with the left lever is decent - add the right lever in and it will haul you down in a hurry. Practice that. Know how to park the bike on uneven surfaces... there are situations where the side stand will be best and others where the center stand is the answer.

The PCX isn't the first bike I've owned that has had a switch on the side stand that prevents starting the bike with the side stand down. I'm sure you know about this, but you will find yourself puzzled a time or twelve when the bike doesn't fire right up (and the side stand is down).

Along the same lines, many motorcyclists feel the need to rev their engine at a stoplight... don't do this with your scooter, unless you intend to be moving. ;)

Use your mirrors, but also turn your head as you get ready to change lanes. Oh, and your turn signals are not self-cancelling - you have to manually turn them off as you complete your turn.

Learn to do a quick "walk around" (old pilot behavior) as you approach your scoot - make sure all seems right, nothing is leaking, nothing is stuck under the bike.

When I taught my daughter to ride a motorcycle, about 32 years ago, I had her do a "slow race"... she how long she could take to cover a short distance (it improves balance and an understanding of how the bike will react to throttle and brake inputs). I also taught her to constantly ask herself "what if?" As in: what if someone pulls out of that parking space ahead? What if that car coming at me makes a left turn in front of me without using a signal? What if the car behind me doesn't intend to stop for that yellow light I am approaching??? Make eye contact with other drivers. Don't hesitate to use your horn if you think they aren't aware of your presence. Be ready to move in your lane if the car next to you starts to move towards you (don't ride in a car's blind spot). Don't follow too close (cars have more rubber on the road than your bike).

Practice, practice, practice. Damn, I sound like that kid's Mother from another thread here. Be safe, have fun. Riding on two wheels is an acquired skill. You may have the M endorsement, but the skills to be safe out there take time to learn.

You've got a great scoot. After a bunch of motorcycles and 46 years of riding (and surviving), I find the PCX to be a great ride! Hope you enjoy the new bike.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

Thanks Jim! Yeah, I'm really looking forward to getting it later this week, or weekend, and am already plotting out the backroad way home - no way will my first ride be on a highway. I love your idea of the slow race - it was something we did as an exercise in the safety course, but once you got good enough, you were on to the next topic, so there wasn't a whole lot of mastery of anything. My first few days/weeks on the scoot are all going to be in my development just getting the hang of it all. And to your point, only *once* did I try to start my motorcycle with the stand down... the instructor just told me I was smart enough to figure it out, so he'd just wait until I did. Three minutes later... : )

And it did kinda worry me that after never having ridden a motorcycle, and taking just 12 hours of riding and 12 hours of class instruction over a weekend, that I could get the endorsement and go buy any bike I please and go out on the road. That's just scary, and I consider myself a pretty safe and conservative driver. I'll be playing it safe for a long while, not thinking that just because I passed that test, that I'm an expert already. Already humbled that part out of me!
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

CONGRATS on Your PCX150.....it's a Fantastic Scooter....You'll enjoy it...!!!!!... 8)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

Get yourself a helmet....

Great choice on bikes too.
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

Got two already! ;)
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

dustin91 wrote:Got two already! ;)

Atta boy! :P
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

Congrats. I'm sure you love it. That's awesome that you made sure that you had a helmets as well. I really like the one I got. It's a full face helmet with a built in sun visor.
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

Sounds like the one I got too, a Scorpion EXO-500 full-face with the built-in visor. I also picked up a 3/4 face helmet because I knew either my wife or son will want to take a spin as a passenger (when I'm ready), and also because the safety course I took required a lot of helmet removal. That was also a Scorpion – I found both very affordable and comfortable. Also getting a Sena Bluetooth system so I can hear my phone's GPS system get me home. I'm not even installing the mic because there's no way I'm taking a phone call while I'm riding!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Here is a little bit of knowledge that I had to pass on to my wife when she started riding her PCX. As stated previously, the turn signal is not self canceling. Most motor cycles aren't either. But what my wife did not know is that to cancel the turn signal all you have to do is press the button in. It will cancel the signal. She was trying move the signal indicator back to center. No need to. Just press it like a regular button.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PKrellner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PKrellner »

Mel46 wrote:Here is a little bit of knowledge that I had to pass on to my wife when she started riding her PCX. As stated previously, the turn signal is not self canceling. Most motor cycles aren't either. But what my wife did not know is that to cancel the turn signal all you have to do is press the button in. It will cancel the signal. She was trying move the signal indicator back to center. No need to. Just press it like a regular button.
That's one of the things I constantly forget. Makes me look like I'm eventually going to make that turn at some point. I'm getting better at shutting it off but occasionally forget. Someday I'll get it right.
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

My wife accidentally hits the horn when cancelling the turn signal. All of our previous Honda scoots had the horn below the turn signals, the PCX is the first one I've seen with it above. It feels no different to me?
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

I know the safety course I took required helmet (which they would provide but I brought my own), gloves, boots over the ankle, long sleeves and pants. It was funny how many motorcyclist drove pass us with the helmet on the side of the bike and not on their heads while the course was going on. I'm glad that you are taking the course as well. I learned a lot from the course. I just wish I had taken it at the same time my husband did in the spring

When I bought the scooter they did an excellent job going over everything, including how the turn signals work. Although my husband who owns a Honda Shadow had already told me about that before I even thought about buying a scooter.
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

Mel, I'm in NJ. Just the idea that you might *consider* using a turn signal is about as much notice as most drivers give here! :lol:

Kat, at the very least, helmets are required by law here in NJ. The dealer was telling me he was ticked that the American Motorcycle Association fought successfully to ban the requirement in PA, which in our area is a 15 minute ride away to some nice little scenery. I may be a total newbie rider, but I am a human... seat belts and helmets should be a given in all circumstances, IMHO. Though as one of my best friends - a doctor - said, the more helmetless riders on the road, the more donor organs available. I just want to donate mine *after* I'm done needing them!
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

Yeah here in Illinois they only thing required is eye protection and if you have a large enough windshield then you don't have to have eyewear. When my husband first wanted to get a motorcycle and I gave into him I only asked that he get a helmet. On the fourth of July he was complaining to everyone that I made him get a helmet. He was planning on getting a half helmet until about 4 weeks ago when he laid the bike down at 35mph and scratched his face shield. When I bought my scooter there was no question that I was buying an helmet as well. I bought the AFX FX-50 for $85 and I really liked it. I've only used it for my MSF course since I have yet to ride the scooter. Hopefully later this season or next year. It's just sitting in the garage right now.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Carry on. Don't Google Darwin

Just presuming you have fingers
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

dustin91 wrote:I also picked up a 3/4 face helmet because I knew either my wife or son will want to take a spin as a passenger (when I'm ready),
Make sure you are absolutely ready before riding 2-up, especially if the other person hasn't been on a bike much either. It might even be a good idea to find an empty parking lot and ride around there for a bit first.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(