Hurricane DORIAN - Labor Day?

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Hurricane DORIAN - Labor Day?

Post by WhiteNoise »

:? This one's Big! USA - Southern East Coast States hunkering down.
Florida, Georgia and South Carolina have been/still are securing their home's and State's for the arrival of Hurricane Dorian, "now" a catagory 4 (just shy of 5). It has been intensifying as it approaches slowly towards the U.S. East coast. Moving due west @ 12mph with 145 mph sustained winds gusting up to 165 mph.

I have friends (since age 6) on FL's East coast that I'm Very concerned about. I pray they've already boarded up and left for safer/higher ground. I will text them shortly.

We have many folks, "like family" on our forums that live in these States, we pray you make Smart decisions for yourselves. Leave when told. Secure your homes and get out of town.
Watching the news, we know gas stations have closed shop already. "No Gas" signs across the pumps everywhere. Those stations that have gas will be out in the blink of an eye. I hope ya'll got yours.
Water water water is coming to you from everywhere. So is food. Supplies too.

PSEG New York's Electric is on the way. It's All about team work and Love.
Above all and as Always, Being Safe. You are #1. You're family, is #1! Being stubborn is Not a definition of safety. Hammer that in. Bank this: You're the Best!

Southern Fam, When you can, please drop us a line here so We Know You're alright.
Be Strong, God Bless and be Safe
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Hurricane DORIAN - Labor Day?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote::? This one's Big! USA - Southern East Coast States hunkering down.
Florida, Georgia and South Carolina have been/still are securing their home's and State's for the arrival of Hurricane Dorian, "now" a catagory 4 (just shy of 5). It has been intensifying as it approaches slowly towards the U.S. East coast. Moving due west @ 12mph with 145 mph sustained winds gusting up to 165 mph.

I have friends (since age 6) on FL's East coast that I'm Very concerned about. I pray they've already boarded up and left for safer/higher ground. I will text them shortly.

We have many folks, "like family" on our forums that live in these States, we pray you make Smart decisions for yourselves. Leave when told. Secure your homes and get out of town.
Watching the news, we know gas stations have closed shop already. "No Gas" signs across the pumps everywhere. Those stations that have gas will be out in the blink of an eye. I hope ya'll got yours.
Water water water is coming to you from everywhere. So is food. Supplies too.

PSEG New York's Electric is on the way. It's All about team work and Love.
Above all and as Always, Being Safe. You are #1. You're family, is #1! Being stubborn is Not a definition of safety. Hammer that in. Bank this: You're the Best!

Southern Fam, When you can, please drop us a line here so We Know You're alright.
Be Strong, God Bless and be Safe

Can’t you nuke it?
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Good advice WN!

I've already let my relatives living down on the "Treasure Coast" know I'm here if they need any help or a place of refuge. That said, I'm sure their kids (adults now) and other family members have already stepped up to the plate to offer help as well. They've been through the drill several times over the years and lucked out with minimal problems.

We will have to keep an eye to the horizon for the next week. These storms can be tricky. My first experience with a major storm was "Hurricane Donna" back in 1960. We had to evacuate for that one but things turned out OK . . . nothing like what the previous generation went through in '38.

Hope for the best . . . brace for the worst as they say. :geek:
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Can’t you nuke it?
Where is Tesla when you need him? :roll:
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Carolina is the target now.....the euro and gfs models agree.....but first, Freeport and Marsh Harbour are going to be leveled in about 18 hours....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Dorian...wasn't that a fish?? Something fishy going on here.

Dorian is getting fat ...Cat 5 now. I expect that the Bahamas will be leveled. (Hope not.) Nice place. Hopefully it will survive the direct hit. That hurricane is a monster.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

No problems here in the Panhandle, although we were starting to think what might happen if it crossed into the Gulf. We had our share with a direct hit from Michael last year, so we think we should get a pass this year!!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Good to hear Limey, be on the ready just the same.
Glen, your input matters here. I'm all ears. But...You be safe 1st sir. I would imagine your toys are tucked in safe?

I upped it....I'm praying bigger.
What a mass of space Dorian has encompassed. He's like the pac man of hurricanes, chomping away! No Joke, Horrific!!

>> Where's Fellow Forza fam member easyrider? Please Jump in. Perhaps you're on the road again? I wouldn't blame you, That last trip via truck was a trip I would never want to come home from. As I watched I had to keep telling myself to breath. Truth!! Those views, Just Beautifully Awesome.

And to come home to this?!?! As Mel B would exclaim: "What Just Happened!"

Mel, I think of Dorian Grey. Google him. Then You Might want to watch an oldie goldie movie about him: "The Picture of Dorian Grey." Saw it once and like glue, it sticks to ya. Strangely enjoyable.

OldG I'm watching right along with ya. Coastline grabber or not? Turn ta sea, ya _ _ _ _ _ _ _ !

Folks, please say a little something. Strength comes in #'s. Dorian has a Mouth and His Eye on .......
(Nope, I'm Not saying)
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

The next 24 hours will be intense . . .. :roll:
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

I'm as good as I can get - 5 yr old concrete condo with impact proof glass, concrete prking garage for the toys....but at 185 mph sustained with 220 gusts right now.....it will be interesting...no one down here has endured something like this...(andrew was only 174)......even if it stays offshore 40 miles and goes up the coast , it will re-write the topography of all the beaches for miles inland for decades....
Glen
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

This is a good read, all Floridians that Have been here for a while Have become amateur meteorologists, at least to understand the lingo… I like this guy, he has it coming in slightly above West Palm… But as big as it is , it doesn’t matter where it comes in…

https://blog.weather.us/an-in-depth-loo ... -forecast/
Glen
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Not my first rodeo either.. Been here in SE Florida 35 yrs been through Andrew and all the rest of em.. If your roof stays put and youre on decent ground its the power outage for a week or longer thats the real kick ass, especially when its hot and humid.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Glen, can't beat concrete. Impact Glass a plus too. Any exterior panels covering the glass and doorways?
Will you stay or will you go Glen?
You're right should it strike. Andrew was powerful. Dorian?
I have No words. Oh and those Outer bands, they spawn havoc too.

Florida, 1997-2011 I can remember sitting inside my closet for 4 hours while tornados danced around my area, just a few "close" miles away. I can't even explain the lightening. Or the sounds heard. I'd like to forget. I crowded myself in with stuff. A Battery operated combo weather/radio, flashlights, 8 gallons of water, keys, important papers, blanket, pillow, my helmet in lap and so much more.
Yes and RUM! If I took flight, I was flying numb.

iPad battery dying now. Too much talking WN!! I'll check in later ya'll. Please be SAFE !!
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I can truly understand what all those folks from Florida to the Carolinas must be going through right now . . ..

That said the closest I've ever gotten to the "Rodeo" is just ocean water coming up the street as far as my neighbor's driveway in "Sandy". Been through the winds and heavy rain but nothing like 150 MPH stuff. Holy Jesus and all the Saints up above or whatever the "Force" is. . . Never had a roof taken off. :roll:

So like I said . . . I can understand . . . but don't have the battle ribbons for the major major ones. Just debris pick up and gutter cleaning and putting up with no power for a week. :o

Definitely stocked up on bottled water, canned tuna, sardines, apples, bread, peanut butter, jelly, candles, matches, batteries, and Chef Boyardee stuff . . . Dinty Moore too . . . can eat it cold out of the can if needed. ;)
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

I don’t do a lot of food stuffs and water, maybe three days worth, because in an urban setting no matter how much devastation is done, I have many friends, and businesses open back up quick, in addition to that, and it’s terrible to say , but it’s true, Florida will get immediate attention because there’s a lot of rich white people down here that are going to be screaming bloody murder if FEMA doesn’t do his job. Too many movers and shakers down here on the Gold Coast for the establishment… Very much unlike a New Orleans situation… the worst thing down here is when you lose power, generators are only good for a couple days. Had a big one and then gave it up.....You’re better off trying to move your life to 12 V/USB, I have two AGM car batteries in parallel that are on a small roller tray, with USB hook ups and inverter. the whole condo is on 12 V USB, the new lantern LED lights are a godsend, a small propane burner and plenty of can food. Silicone seal the tub drain shut and fill tub to flush the toilet. If it gets too primal, I have several friends with spare bedrooms and whole house Generac set ups… The party goes on for many…

I will be using my scooter almost 100%. The car is Tucked away in an elevated spot and I don’t wanna move it , so I’ll use the Xmax to get around the destruction. I Put RIDE-ON sealer in the tires in case I might get a puncture.
Glen
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Jge64 wrote:I don’t do a lot of food stuffs and water, maybe three days worth, because in an urban setting no matter how much devastation is done, I have many friends, and businesses open back up quick, in addition to that, and it’s terrible to say , but it’s true, Florida will get immediate attention because there’s a lot of rich white people down here that are going to be screaming bloody murder if FEMA doesn’t do his job. Too many movers and shakers down here on the Gold Coast for the establishment… Very much unlike a New Orleans situation… the worst thing down here is when you lose power, generators are only good for a couple days. Had a big one and then gave it up.....You’re better off trying to move your life to 12 V/USB, I have two AGM car batteries in parallel that are on a small roller tray, with USB hook ups and inverter. the whole condo is on 12 V USB, the new lantern LED lights are a godsend, a small propane burner and plenty of can food. Silicone seal the tub drain shut and fill tub to flush the toilet. If it gets too primal, I have several friends with spare bedrooms and whole house Generac set ups… The party goes on for many…

I will be using my scooter almost 100%. The car is Tucked away in an elevated spot and I don’t wanna move it , so I’ll use the Xmax to get around the destruction. I Put RIDE-ON sealer in the tires in case I might get a puncture.

Can someone help me decipher this post?

Just the point would be fine.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Can someone help me decipher this post?

Just the point would be fine.
Aye Aye Sir . . ..

Present and accounted for. :D

Good for go! 8)
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Just an example of Storm Sandy damage back in 2012 . . ..
100_2754a.jpg
100_2803a.jpg
100_2824a.jpg
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

In my lifetime I have been involved in so many hurricanes that I respect them A LOT. When I was in Coast Guard search and rescue we went where we were needed. I was in the aviation division so helicopters were out day and night pulling survivors out of the water, off of the roof, and even stranded on islands after their boat sank.

I viewed entire beachfronts afterwards, and most of the time there were no survivors if they decided not to evacuate and had wooden homes, even if those homes had been on stilts.

I saw solidly built buildings made of concrete withstand extreme winds but get flooded because the entry points could not withstand 25 foot storm surges combined with 150 mph winds. Statistically, until all of the coastal buildings are brought up to the new hurricane codes, one in five concrete buildings will have damage from this category of hurricane.

Just a fair warning to those who think riding out a hurricane would be fun.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

Last October.... Panama City Beach Marina before Michael:
before (Small).jpg
before (Small).jpg (54.48 KiB) Viewed 613 times
and after:
after (Small).jpg
after (Small).jpg (53.45 KiB) Viewed 613 times
We had lunch at a beachside restaurant called Toucans in Mexico Beach 10 days before Michael. After Michael it was gone - not even a concrete slab - just like 75% of the town. Unless you experience the destruction that these things can do, most people will never understand the shock and grief that residents go through.